Is it possible to tune higher than E standard?
My babies:
-Epiphone 1958 Korina Explorer
-Peavey Vypyr 30
-Epiphone Hummingbird
of course its possible...u tighten the strings.... is this recommended?? not unless u use super light strings, like .9 MAX.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Sure. I think Bachman Turner Overdrive tuned to E#. If you go much higher you might need a lighter gauge string like .008s or something.
anyone know any songs in higher tunings?
My babies:
-Epiphone 1958 Korina Explorer
-Peavey Vypyr 30
-Epiphone Hummingbird
Anything with a capo is in a higher tuning.
'64 Fender Telecaster
'08 Epiphone Prophecy EM-2
'06 Epiphone Les Paul-100
'08 Squier Strat Mini
'03 Ibanez AEG10
'90 Yamaha FG730S
'31 Kay Archkraft
Quote by fretz86
Sure. I think Bachman Turner Overdrive tuned to E#. If you go much higher you might need a lighter gauge string like .008s or something.

That tuning doesn't exist. It's E to F
Theoretically, yeah, you can tune up all you want ('till your strings break, anyway).
The only two common tunings I can think of off the top of my head that are higher than standard are open E and open A.
OOOOOOOR you can tune to standard, capo, there you go.

I don't see the benifits of having a higher sounding chord unless your using a capo, wont really make it sound HAPPIER, at least with drop tunings, it could make it sound more metal or heavier.

you can always play your chord higher on the fretboard, you can only play it so low on the fretboard :P, if your going to tune up though man, try getting some .8's, those things are SUPER light.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Thanks I'm aware that E# and F are enharmonics but that is the way I have seen it written for BTO songs.
Quote by DrDeathjeans

Yes. The Big Money by Rush. Alex Lifeson tuned his guitar up to F#.
why put the tension on the neck of the guitar when you could use a capo
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Quote by DrDeathjeans

i know staind did some songs with higher tunings on their "Shades of Gray" album. i wasn't a fan of that cd at all, but i always thought it was cool that mushok actually tuned up instead of down.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Paul Gilbert did it on a Mr Big song to get the keyboard riff, I think. No reason why you can't just stick a capo on there though.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Tuning up has the same effect on the neck as using heavier strings. It's fine for the neck as long as it's adjusted properly. When using a capo, you're limiting yourself in the upper frets and it throws some people off. There's nothing bad about it. Yes, you can use a capo for instant gratification, but that doesn't work for everyone.