I've been playing guitar for around 6 months, and I've got plenty of open chords down, and i can change them smoothly.
What i'm having trouble with is barre chords. When I bar my finger across a fret, and see if all the strings play cleanly D, G, and B don't make a sound.
Any advice on how to hold it down correctly? Or any advice on barre chords in general? thanks so much.
As with anything, it gets better with practice. It may help if you slightly roll your index finger towards the direction of the head instead of only applying downward preasure to the neck.
Hey. I have some advice for you. Try making the open barre in a twisting method, not just a clamping method. What you need to do is that you twist your finger that is going to make the "open strings" and your thumb against the neck.
When I do barre chords, my finger actually sticks up above the neck, and I try to use most of the meaty part of my finger rather than use the tip of my finger as well. I'd go grab my guitar and take a closer look at what I do but my fretting wrist is currently out of commission.
You don't need to put any more pressure on that you do to fret a normal note, so don't try and just force your finger down - try changing the angle, rolling it on its side, bending or straightening it slightly til you find what works for you.

Don't forget your barring finger only needs to cleanly fret the strings that aren't already being fretted by your other fingers - so in an E Maj shaped barre for example, you are going to be fretting the A, D and G strings seperately, so your index finger only needs to worry about the E, e and B strings.
I agree with what Zhilla said: there is no more pressure used for a barre.

One thing you need to watch out for, though, is making sure your finger isn't bending and is right next to the fret all the way along. Notes are always sounded on a guitar by fretting as close to the fret as possible.
Quote by chainsawguitar
One thing you need to watch out for, though, is making sure your finger isn't bending and is right next to the fret all the way along. Notes are always sounded on a guitar by fretting as close to the fret as possible.
I let my barring finger bend slightly if the middle 3 strings are already fretted by other fingers - is that bad?