Can anyone recommend some sort of device that will be able to record my bands rehearsals? I tried using an MP3 player that has a record function but the recording was ridiculously distorted. I'm looking to spend as little as possible, I'm not after crystal clear recordings just something that can handle recording a full band without distorting horribly.
Gear:

Fender Jaguar Bass
Ashdown MAG300H Head
Ashdown 410 T Deep Cab
Epiphone Thunderbird
Squier P/J Bass
SKAK20BA Practice Bass Amp
garageband on mac or sound recorder on pc. It'll definitely need some tweaking and won't sound great but it should be good enough for youre purposes.

Also sound recorder is not like garageband. it's more like a cassette recorder on your computer in that it has no editing capabilities or anything like that. as its name suggests, it simply records sound.
Quote by saint22
garageband on mac or sound recorder on pc. It'll definitely need some tweaking and won't sound great but it should be good enough for youre purposes.

Also sound recorder is not like garageband. it's more like a cassette recorder on your computer in that it has no editing capabilities or anything like that. as its name suggests, it simply records sound.

The thing is we can't use a computer we're hiring a rehearsal space for a couple of hours a week, I'm thinking more like a modern version of a tape recorder sort of thing.
Gear:

Fender Jaguar Bass
Ashdown MAG300H Head
Ashdown 410 T Deep Cab
Epiphone Thunderbird
Squier P/J Bass
Quote by Afterhours
Get a portable digital recorder............

Well yeah thats what I'm after lol, what I'm asking is what's the cheapest one I can get and still get decent results.
Gear:

Fender Jaguar Bass
Ashdown MAG300H Head
Ashdown 410 T Deep Cab
Epiphone Thunderbird
Squier P/J Bass
Quote by Ripper_66
The thing is we can't use a computer we're hiring a rehearsal space for a couple of hours a week, I'm thinking more like a modern version of a tape recorder sort of thing.

None of you own a laptop?
I'm assuming you'll be using a PA? just plug a cassette recorder into the mixer.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Alex Vik
None of you own a laptop?

We tried with a laptop and it was the same as the MP3 player as in horribly distorted. And also I don't really want to use cassettes I was planing on archiving the rehearsals on my computer with some sort of digital recorder we could also record our live shows which i could also archive.
Gear:

Fender Jaguar Bass
Ashdown MAG300H Head
Ashdown 410 T Deep Cab
Epiphone Thunderbird
Squier P/J Bass
Last edited by Ripper_66 at Nov 16, 2009,
Quote by Ripper_66
We tried with a laptop and it was the same as the MP3 player as in horribly distorted. And also I don't really want to use cassettes I was planing on archiving the rehearsals on my computer with some sort of digital recorder we could also record our live shows which i could also archive.

What were you recording with? I use a USB mic for recording practices, and it doesn't distort too bad. If you want to hear it in a "live band" placement, check out "Spider" on my profile, there's no drums or vocals though.
simple, it would be a great idea to have a recording chat, that every one could help everyone out with

just click chat, left of the search bar

choose a nick name, go to channels. at the top of the chat room and join
well you their are three stereo mic technigues you can use
spaced pair
coincent pair
near coincedent

do some rearsch on it
then you need an interface hooked up to the computer or you could go with hardware recording
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Last edited by hans the lefty at Nov 18, 2009,
you can get a boss micro br, which is what we use to do, just mic the amps, and the drums with the pa and then you run the pa's line out into the micro, as long as you sort out the levels it sounds good,
Tick: Villains always have antidotes. They're funny that way

Gear
Musicman JP7 Mystic Dream/Piezo
Fernandes Revelle elite
Epi Les Paul Silverburst custom- Sd 59 + JB
Mesa Dual Rec + Marshall 1960 Cab