I'm looking into buying a new amp for gigs, something that I own instead of having to borrow my friend's Valve Jr Half Stack (which is fairly nice, IMO). But I can't seem to get a straight answer for my question, which is what is that bare minimum that you need to gig with?Whats the smallest amp? I've heard of people gigging with a 1x10 Combo, but still others claim that you need at least a half stack. Still I know a band who says they've played their second guitar through a Practice Amp (looks 1x8) and a tube screamer pedal (I don't truly believe them). So what is it, UG? What is the bare minimum?

EDIT: Also, I'm probably gonna get the Valve Jr. Half Stack, but I still want to know. I mean you can try and change my opinion on it, but I've used one several times before and had some first hand experience, so good luck there.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Nov 16, 2009,
It really depends on the style of music you play, how loud you want to play it, and the size of the rooms you'll be playing in. I've done blues and jazz type gigs with a 15 watt 1x12 tube combo, but at shows with my punk band I use a 120 watt 2x12 solid state.
Well the impotant thing isn't so much combo or head and cab or speaker size but wattage. I think at least 15 watts for any decent sized gigs but 5 or 10 might do for small stuff cranked. If the venues you play have a in house PA system and you can mic the amp the wattage doesn't matter. If you are playing it straight up, no mic, I think having a bigger speaker like a 12 inch would be a good idea, get some air moving.
I use my H&K switchblade through a 2x12 cab miced up through the P.A

But really, what blue_strat said.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
you have a loud enough PA, you can just mic any size/volume of amp. if you need to project without a PA, you'll need something loud, but it depends on your amp and the size of the gigs you usually play. do you play rhythm or lead? big venues or small ones? loud drummer? it all goes into what size amp. 50 watts might be a minimum if your drummer isn't loud and you don't have a lot of noise to play over. If your guitar is a real focal point or if you have a loud drummer or band in general, look upwards of 100 watts.
Phish Phan
DeadHead
Moe.ron
If there's a jam out there, I'm probably listening to it.

Check out the Bodatious Banana Extravaganza: http://myspace.com/bbeboston
50-60w tube is good for getting over most drums if there is no PA and its an average size bar. A good 212 setup. It will also work ok for a big venue when running through a PA. It can also be good as a practice amp so its pretty good all-round.
Last edited by Tempoe at Nov 16, 2009,
Quote by Hendrix4ever
you have a loud enough PA, you can just mic any size/volume of amp. if you need to project without a PA, you'll need something loud, but it depends on your amp and the size of the gigs you usually play. do you play rhythm or lead? big venues or small ones? loud drummer? it all goes into what size amp. 50 watts might be a minimum if your drummer isn't loud and you don't have a lot of noise to play over. If your guitar is a real focal point or if you have a loud drummer or band in general, look upwards of 100 watts.

Whilst those kind of levels might be appropriate talking about solid state, if we're dealing with tube it will be significantly different

also wattage =/= volume
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
I use my Line 6 Spider II HD 150 half stack exclusively. I always get a lot of people asking me if it's been modified because they hear they are not very good but usually after hearing mine and I show them how to use it they change their mind.

John
I used to have a palomino v32, which was a 30 watt 2x12. That was loud enough to blow my drummer away when he pissed me off, and he was loud. I ended up sellling it b/c it was too loud to play at home and I really dont gig much anymore. For a tube amp 15-30 watts is probably your 'minimum' but even withought a PA its enough power.
I use a Fargen modified Peavey JSX 120 watt 2x12 combo.It has plenty of volume to stand by itself for when I play out.

On that note,it really depends on the amp.Certain amps are inherently louder than others,so generalizing is difficult.To give an example,my old man uses a fender hotrod deville and even though it's only rated at 40 watts,it's extremely loud.Your best bet would be to narrow down the amp you want then test it to see what its volume capabilities are.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

i`ve never gigged with anything less than 40w 112 currently using the vk212.

one thing to bear in mind when gigging - the bigger the amp the bigger the ball ache when it comes to transporting especially at the venue where ther will be narrow corridors and stairs/steps to negotiate.

in terms of volume get the engineer to pull out his level meter and get you between 90 and 104 db then mic the cab.
There is some fail in this thread.

First you need to determine if your using a solid state amp, or a tube. Then you need to determine the genres your playing and whether or not you needs to have your cleans to be heard over the drummer.

Just say if you play alot of classic rock, where you really want to get that power tube saturation which the amp needs to be loud. Then your not gonna want a 50w tube amp because it will have much more headroom than say a 15 watt tube amp. Wattage is a measure of power and a measure of headroom, not volume. The wattage is when the amp starts to clip naturally and if its tube will sound smooth and creamy and nice, but if its SS, it will be harsh and most people don't like it.

If your playing metal, then you want preamp gain and not power tube saturation so higher wattage will be better as it won't get power amp distortion when playing with a band at a gig.

If you want cleans, you want alot of wattage, there is a reaosn fender tube amps have alot of wattage. In some cases people prefer a SS amp for cleans as it has alot of headroom usually.

So it depends on what genre and if you need cleans, and well if your place has a PA, then you can easily gig with a valve junior.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
lately its been 4 mashall mg stacks. :P and forgot about my 15 watt spider i use just to give it that digital sound i enjoy.
OT:
Random question but.. when you play gigs do you play directly from the amp or do you play through the speakers/cabs (No matter what amp)..?

Just wondering if this will help me with my feedback issue
Most places I have played we were mic'd thru the PA/house system I can't really think of a gig where I wasn't mic'd. I just played a small club Friday night as a guest with a band I used to belong to and they had everything mic'd as well and the place was small. Unfortunately I used their equipment and was not happy with the tone of both the guitar and amp but The sound man was great and it helped a lot and that's usually what you have to depend on when gigging a good sound man.

John
Last edited by johnro6659 at Nov 22, 2009,
I've always used my Orange Rocker 30 and have never even got it past half volume.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by SunDrop
lately its been 4 mashall mg stacks. :P and forgot about my 15 watt spider i use just to give it that digital sound i enjoy.

i hope this is sarcasm...

EDIT: and I use my Vox AD30VT for most of my band stuff. it can get over a decently loud drummer with a pedal pushing it. idk about a gig situation as it hasn't come to that yet.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Last edited by randomhero93 at Nov 22, 2009,
It's been said before: it all depends on whether or not you have a PA.

I saw of a video of the guitarist from The Antlers using probably a 1x10 Fender for a crowd of probably a couple thousand people. (He was mic'd)

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees