I cannot stand Nirvana. I find their music to be depressing and devoid of emotion or musical skill. I can't understand the attraction. Anyone care to explain?
Quote by Swannie
I cannot stand Nirvana. I find their music to be depressing and devoid of emotion or musical skill. I can't understand the attraction. Anyone care to explain?

depression is an emotional state.
because nirvana is nirvana its either you like it or you don't, and as for depressing haven't heard the expression express your self, we'll it's what you get when you give a junkie a guitar witch he did have a talent to be able to create such simple awesome sounding riffs. t
Quote by stephen_rettie

/thread

No one cares about what bands you don't like, man.
Quote by DirtyMakik
Hand Solo... got it?

Hand... Solo!

*makes fapping movement*

aww forget it.
well you can't like everything, right ?
i can't stand metallica and don't get how they can get so much hype, to me it's just technical stuff and i've never been able to hear any emotion in their songs, yet they are quite big..
i love nirvana though, to me, they're a proof you don't have to be a great musician with lots of theory to make good music, and to me their songs are very emotive
if musical skill was a defining factor in how good or popular a band could be there would be no punk music. or at least the definitive bands from early on like the pistols and the ramones wouldnt have been as big as they were/still are
Quote by gatechballer
SoLgEr is the ****ing man!!!!!
They had a lot of influence on people. A lot of people can relate to their music and they have had a big impact on my songwriting, especially for such a simplistic band.
Quote by Survivalism
Nirvana would have faded away long ago if Kurt Cobain was still alive.

i disagree, pearl jam and alice in chains are two popular bands from the same genre and they both just put out cds that were in the top 50 last time i looked
Quote by gatechballer
SoLgEr is the ****ing man!!!!!
at first i didnt like nirvana, but slowly as i was introduced to it, i did

Quote by Bizarro
Sorry, but its true.
write songs better than cobain, n then come back n question the respect people have for their music

listen to it without thinking about who they are or the fact that theyre famous etc etc, if you can't at the very least appreciate the chords in the most mundane sense, then you are conflicted and you are the problem
Quote by stephen_rettie

This is almost word for word what I was going to stay.
If it makes you feel depressed, it can't possibly be devoid of emotion. This thread is self-answering. Why listen to Nirvana? Clearly, one reason for listeners to be interested is that they can relate to the depression Cobain expresses in his music. Your inability to relate to it does not indicate everyone's inability to relate to it.

In addition, "musical skill" isn't very clearly defined in your post. Musical skill can mean anything from knowledge of theory to songwriting capability (which itself is fairly vague) to technical skill to sonic innovation to almost any ability relating to music. Clearly, Those of Nirvana's fans who look for musical skill look for a a different kind of skill than you do. For example, you might mean speed and the demonstration of extensive knowledge of theory when you say "musical skill", whereas I might hold the same expression to mean songwriting ability (which I find is Nirvana's strongest point) and sonic innovation and experimentation (as is featured strongly on "In Utero").
Nirvana is Jawbreaker, the Pixies, Sonic Youth, and Millions of Dead Cops wrapped up in a boring (but bafflingly more popular) package.
Quote by JohnnyV
I'm pretty sure the feeling i get when i blow my load on my computer screen is a f*ck of a lot different than when i shoot in on my girlfriend's face.

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
Quote by SoLgEr
i disagree, pearl jam and alice in chains are two popular bands from the same genre and they both just put out cds that were in the top 50 last time i looked

i agree with you, definitely, however, you can't deny that alice in chain's lead singer died too. now, i don't know their history much, i'm not a huge fan of them, even though i do like them, but yeah, i'm guessing it did give them a slight push, didn't it ?

Quote by Lots O' FX
Nirvana is Jawbreaker, the Pixies, Sonic Youth, and Millions of Dead Cops wrapped up in a boring (but bafflingly more popular) package.

woah, such an interesting addition to this thread.
funny, we're actually debating against this kind of replies