I have an old washburn lyon i want to use as a "live" guitar for basement shows and such.

and i got this absurd idea that removing all pickups minus the bridge pickup will turn the 5-way selector into a killswitch of sorts.

and no, not a professional job. i mean just rip them out.

am I crazy, or could this work?
it should work. I've done something similiar with my les paul by turning the volume off on one pickup
It'll work
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
that could work, but it might pop or make noise since the switch would still be wired like there was a pickup. it wouldn't continue making noise, but it might have a nasty loud pop when you flip the pickup switch. not 100% on that, but just warning. some fully wired killswitches have this problem, too.

anyway, putting a real killswitch on a guitar isn't too bad with some solder work and some drilling. if you're not worried about how the guitar looks it could be easy. just throwing that out there
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Last edited by LifeIsABullet16 at Nov 16, 2009,
interesting...

Well I don't really feel like putting forth much effort or spending money on this adventure. I've been entertaining the idea of an actual killswitch for a while, but I lack the skills to do so. "ripping everything out" seems pretty good at this point.
You can just drill into the guitar and wire a killswitch without ripping anything out. My guitar teacher did that with his Dinky... and the Lyon's are Les Paul shaped so you should have plenty of room to do it.
my particular Lyon looks more like an ibanez RG.

well. I went ahead and did it. unscrewed some screws and cut some wires and i was done.

works absolutely fine, no loud POPs or odd noises when switching.

BUT

it still picks up sound when on what used to be the neck position. and by sound, i mean strumming and playing.

cleary washburn had quality in mind when designing their lyon series.

so.... mission failed.
well, good there are no pops and very weird it still picks up noise haha and if you still wanted to wire in a switch just google "killswitch tutorial" or something. you can literally spend less than $5 to get all the parts you need at radioshack.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip