so ya i wanna plaay some amon amarth and i got some heavier strings, power slinkys i think, how do i set my guitar up for lower tunings? i think they are drop C am i correct?
Quote by Godsmack_IV
Emus. Seriously, no bird should be that big.

Quote by CFH82
Long story short, I had a dream I fu**ed a horse.

Rise up
We are revolutionaries
Viva la revolución
Anyone????
Quote by Godsmack_IV

Quote by CFH82

Rise up
We are revolutionaries
Viva la revolución
I believe they actually tune to B standard
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
thamks, how do i set up my guitar for that?
Quote by Godsmack_IV

Quote by CFH82

Rise up
We are revolutionaries
Viva la revolución
You will need some chunky-ass strings, i would suggest something in the 12s department. Just put them on and tune up. If you have a floyd equipped guitar you may well have to adjust the back springs to balance it out
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Quote by chimpinatux
You will need some chunky-ass strings, i would suggest something in the 12s department. Just put them on and tune up. If you have a floyd equipped guitar you may well have to adjust the back springs to balance it out

thsnks man
Quote by Godsmack_IV

Quote by CFH82

Rise up
We are revolutionaries
Viva la revolución
Check the intonation and action after putting in 12s or whatever you'll be using.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
Check the intonation and action after putting in 12s or whatever you'll be using.

how do i do tha? lolz
Quote by Godsmack_IV

Quote by CFH82

Rise up
We are revolutionaries
Viva la revolución
Quote by Triviumsucks666
thamks, how do i set up my guitar for that?

What type of bridge do you have?
Lolwut?

Basically, hit a natural harmonic at the 12th fret while plugged into your tuner. it should register dead on to what the open string is.

Action is how high your strings are. the thicker string will be closer to the fret board, and thus, might buzz.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by Gundamnitpete
Action is how high your strings are. the thicker string will be closer to the fret board, and thus, might buzz.

Lolwut?

Shouldn't it be the other way around the thicker the string the higher they feel away from the fretboard. Well theoretically given that thicker strings have a larger radius compared to thinner strings and as such the diameter would be higher for thicker strings and vice versa.
Last edited by azn_guitarist25 at Nov 17, 2009,
To check your intonation you play the 12th fret, and play a harmonic on the 12th fret. You want the tones to match up exactly. I always have to double check which way to move the saddle but I believe if the fretted not is higher you move it back (lengthen the string).

When you change string gauge you'll probably lose intonation as well as when you detune. I have a guitar that needs intonation adjustments just going from E to E flat, so you'll probably have to make some major ones. You may want thicker strings than power slinky's. If you have multiple guitars you may just want one set up permanently at that tuning because switching back and fourth doesn't work very well. You lose all your tension. Personally I would string my guitar so it never can get as high as E standard if I wanted to play shit like deathcore.
thicker strings produce less buzz, it doesn't affect the action in anyway at all unless the string can't make it to the bottom of the rut in your nut. either way the lowest point of the string is only as low as the bridge allows.
TS.

if you put thicker strings on your guitar swap one string at a time.

also, know that if you have a trem bridge, it will raise the ass end of the bridge into the air.
this is fine. if you have a trem, post back.

for setup questions. click teh green link in my sig and look at the first post.
even has pictures.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
If you have a floating bridge you are going to have to remove the trem cavity plate and back the screws up on the fulcrum claw.
Essentially this will reduce the amount of pull from the bridge, which you will need with the looser strings.
Depending on what kind of guitar it is you might want to be careful about keeping your guitar in lower tuning (especially B-standard that Amon plays in lol) because I have heard that some necks will warp with the lower string tension of lower tuning.
I have a six-string tuned in the mentioned B tuning, I hope you have a fixed bridge I had to put all 5 springs in the back of the tremolo to keep the bridge in a good position.

You'll maybe need to raise the action on bottom part of the neck, I had problems with first few frets on the B string, they were buzzing. I raised the action by putting some alu-foil under the nut to raise it's position, thus raising the three low strings.

You'll maybe need to repalace the nut all-together, or make a bigger cut-out for the B string. Mine is 0.75 from the Zakk Wylde boomers. Luckily I own an Ibanez RG370, with enough space for a string that thick.

You will also maybe need to buy a few locking tuners, for the really thick strings. I recommend you to lower the usage of the tremolo bar if you have one. I hardly use the tremmolo on mine, and I wish I had a fixed brigde.

Hope this helped, if you have something you want to ask, send me a PM or a comment on my profile.
I am Žile, I'm from Serbia, and I like guitars... and beans of course...never underestimate well cooked beans!

Join Alternate tunings
TUNED OUT