Ok well i recently picked up a pack of the dunlop Jazz III picks at a friends suggestion... he just RAVES about these things and how they are the greatest thing ever... personally i have tried them and something with them doesn't fit me... Its probably not my style of pick yes but what in the hell is this pick designed for?
for playing guitar? not for acoustic strumming? for precision?
Ibanez RG 550 (1989, MIJ)
--Peavey 5150--
Custom DIY 2x12
Peavey Bandit II
Ibanez AD 220 Analog Rack Delay
MXR Flanger (not the reissue)
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss NS-2
Dunlop 95q Wah (broken)
Heavily Modded Strat
Great for lead work and precision playing. They just take some getting used to though. But I <3 Them.. Although they are not for everyone.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Well i am definatly a lead player, i am a huge shred guitar style player but i'm so used to the Dunlop Nylons that are .60mm... so i'm all messed up haha, but you think i you should give these more of a try? Just maybe readjusting to the thickness?
Every time I go to the music store, I try them out and I really want to like/love them, but I just can't get used to them.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Like I said they aren't for everyone. I didn't like them at first, but eventually they grew on me.
Now I can't play for Shizz without them.

They take a lot of getting used too though.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Using a Jazz III instead of a regular pick, is like using a regular pick instead of a trowel.
Quote by blue_strat
Using a Jazz III instead of a regular pick, is like using a regular pick instead of a trowel.

That's the analogy I was looking for..
Quote by boxcarmonument
Like I said they aren't for everyone. I didn't like them at first, but eventually they grew on me.
Now I can't play for Shizz without them.

They take a lot of getting used too though.

I can understand that, my issue is the effort that i actually have to put into strumming power chords and stuff compared to the .60mm that just glides over it so gracefully, i don't know i'll probably give a different style of em a try, maybe one a little bigger and thinner
I love the jazz III and stubby picks. makes my playing more precise and powerful
Yeah it doesn't hurt to try them out. And for what picks cost. Your not out a lot of money at least.

I bought like 4 dozen Gibson Medium picks. And about 2 weeks later found Jazz III's So I still have about 3 1/2 dozen Gibbo picks at home I haven't used. Now to just find someone to take them off my hands. Yucky things that they are.
well where i live the price of picks are nothing d00d i get like 12 for like 2 dollars and i use dunlop tortex 70 something mm i forget all mine are worn down and u cant see the sign and writing anymore XD
They just feel weird to me. I've tried them before and tried to like them since everyone here raves about them, but... no. lol Then again, I also don't hold the pick right when I play either

I use Dunlop Tortexs though
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
They just feel weird to me. I've tried them before and tried to like them since everyone here raves about them, but... no. lol Then again, I also don't hold the pick right when I play either

Dunlop Tortex's.. alright, WHAT IN GOD'S NAME is that strangely shaped edge for?
like, it's got lots of bumps down one side then at the bottom it's just a normal pick, always wanted to know
i have use little dunlop l3 pick round shape not sharped . theyre jsut too small .

my problem with pick is kinda weird .. i cant find a perfect thickness . i play tortex .... i like the .60 very much for their smoothness when im strumming powerchords ( think pop punk , green day etc.. ) but i like . 88 for palmmuting and stuff like metallica metal . the .88 thickness has a quick response for fast playing an required less wrist effort than .60 and give a better accuracy . so i would like to strum with .60 and palmmute and play single note with a .88 ... what do i do . the .88 is too thick and i drop the pick cause it get stuck on the string when i strum the whole strings ( genrally get stuck in upstroke ) .

ive try .73 ( in between )and didnt like for either of both.

i think im gonna start playing only with .60 . but single note and palmmute is harder and not as responsive ;(
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
They just take some getting used to, now i cant live without them. you should have less than around 3mm of your pick that you pick with anyway. Smaller size = less inertia = easier to control than those flappy paddle sized tortexs
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Deep*Kick
Smaller size = less inertia = easier to control than those flappy paddle sized tortexs

Inertia??? Not as flappy I can deal with but inertia? The mass of a pick is insignificant compared to the mass of your fingers so - inertia? The mass of the pick slows you down? My old physics prof's head would explode if he read that.

I gave up on those little picks because they kept sliding out of my sweaty fingers; 73mm standard sized Jim Dunlops with the nice little textures for this little black duck. BUT what I'd really like is luminescent ones so I can find the little beggars. Picks have to be THE easiest thing to lose on the planet huh?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
cream nylons are the best but i can't find them for the life of me anywhere so the blue tortex do me just fine. those little picks fly out of my fingers when i try to play hard. when it comes down to it though put any pick in my hand and ill play. or ill just tear up my finger not using a pick at all.
Quote by Cathbard
Inertia

Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
I love Jazz III's, but it takes a lot of wrist control to be able to strum smoothly with them, and even then you're going to get a strong, bright tone from it compared to a light pick.
I like the XL jazz III for lead work personally, if thy were just a tad thinner, like .1mm or something, that'd be perfect.
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
Quote by Chasing Shadows
Dunlop Tortex's.. alright, WHAT IN GOD'S NAME is that strangely shaped edge for?
like, it's got lots of bumps down one side then at the bottom it's just a normal pick, always wanted to know

?
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Quote by Chasing Shadows

...? Sounds like someone tried to eat the pick before you used it, I don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Oh, and my favorite pick is the Dunlop Big Stubby, although I almost always use .88 Tortex picks since they don't slide around if you're sweaty.
Quote by MatrixClaw

+500000000000000

My cousin uses them. I just couldn't get used to them, so I use the Yellow Dunlop Tortexs.
I like Tortex .88s. I just bought the last of them at my local music store... payed for 15, and got 14 and this little star pick... makes the pick feel thinner to me for some reason.

This sig is colored just to annoy the UG classic users.

Trying to think of witty things to put in my sig. Message if you have ideas.
I've tried using them and I just really do not like them so if I'm actually using a pick I'll stick to Dunlop Ultex - Tortex just doesn't feel grippy enough for me.

That said I still usually end up playing with my nails like a pseudopick; yay for feeling less detached.
Skeet UK is awesome, he can get WD Music parts discounted.
I love them for lead playing but hate them for anything else. I can play so much faster and accurately with them doing lead.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls