So I've got a Dean DBD T from about 2 years ago. It plays well and everything, but lately I've been noticing this weird tinny twang kind of sound on some of the frets. Raising the action only works for the upper frets and the lower ones still twang a little bit.

Some of the upper frets give off this slight tremolo almost sound.

The strings are about a month old, .10 elixirs. I've been noticing it for awhile and its getting progressively worse.

I've also noticed that it appears frets 1-11 appear to be pretty flat on all strings. Does this mean I need a re-fret?

EDIT: a few of the frets seem to be popping out a little but on the high e side, I use that Dunlop guitar maintenance kit, too. With the 5 bottles.
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Nov 16, 2009,
Maybe not a Refret per say but a redress. And a proper setup. ie: Truss rod adjustment and getting a new nut cut for it.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
It's been setup, but the bridge has some major wear in it, as well. I believe that might have have to do with some of the problem.

The new nut and a redress... The redress is rather expensive, right? and the nut is also expensive but not as much?
As far as a Redress. I honestly couldn't say. But a new nut depending on how expensive you want to get can be anywhere from $10.00-40.00 + labor. So figure another $40-50 on top of that.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
My guitar teacher was supposed to give me the phone number of this guy that sets up all of his guitars and his brother's guitars. Apparently he does fret filling and nut cutting for fairly cheap... It's private, so I can't imagine it would be too over the top in price.

Luckily I have a lesson tomorrow.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
...Raising the action only works for the upper frets and the lower ones still twang a little bit.

Some of the upper frets give off this slight tremolo almost sound...I've also noticed that it appears frets 1-11 appear to be pretty flat on all strings. Does this mean I need a re-fret?

EDIT: a few of the frets seem to be popping out a little but on the high e side, I use that Dunlop guitar maintenance kit, too. With the 5 bottles.

Sounds like a combination of a few problems. The flat spots on the frets aren't anything to really worry about. Just shows the guitar has been played, the frets on my '84 ML have some pretty severe flat spots but it plays just fine. Also look down the neck from the bridge's perspective: is the neck flat, bowed inward, or bowed outward? Ideally the neck should bow inward slightly but not too much

The one that worries me is the Dunlop maintenence stuff you mentioned. What are you using from it? If there's a fretboard conditioner, you're probably using it way too much. Over saturating the fretboard causes the frets to rock out of place like you mentioned.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Check the neck and see if it needs a truss rod adjustment first. Check the fret level first some frets can be worn more than others. You use something called a fret rocker but there are items you can substitute. If you have some high frets you'll need to do a fret level on it. I do 99% of my own work and with the right tools a fret level is easy but you might be better off taking to a tech.

John
My guitar's neck is slightly bowed in, and I recently adjusted it.

I use the 01 and 02 bottles, and I use it quite sparingly. The fumes give me a massive headache so I can't use a lot of it. On top of that, I wipe off quite a lot of it.

I've check my neck, it appears to be level but my bridge isn't. And I've always had it that way because my low strings tend to buzz more than the top ones.