Hey, I'm trying to figure out what kind of tube amp I want to get. I've been reading about tube amplifiers, wattage, headroom, etc. and I have a question:
How can I get good tone (sweet spot) from a 100 watts tube amp at bedroom levels?
I know I could use an attenuator but I've also heard they can suck some of the tone.

My plan is to have a tube head + 2x12 cab that I can use for home and also for gigs; I know that 30-50 watts is good enough for that, and I would prefer that but I've found a good deal on a great tube amp that is a 100watts, is just that the wattage might be too much for home practice so it concerns me.

If it makes any difference, I'm talking about a Laney VH100R which I'm really interested on.

So, do I pass up the deal and get a 30-50 watts head instead? or if I do get it, what can I do to achieve a good tone out of it at low volume?
Can you recommend a good and inexpensive attenuator that doesn't suck the tone?
Quote by TrasherFromHell
Hey, I'm trying to figure out what kind of tube amp I want to get. I've been reading about tube amplifiers, wattage, headroom, etc. and I have a question:
How can I get good tone (sweet spot) from a 100 watts tube amp at bedroom levels?
I know I could use an attenuator but I've also heard they can suck some of the tone.

My plan is to have a tube head + 2x12 cab that I can use for home and also for gigs; I know that 30-50 watts is good enough for that, and I would prefer that but I've found a good deal on a great tube amp that is a 100watts, is just that the wattage might be too much for home practice so it concerns me.

If it makes any difference, I'm talking about a Laney VH100R which I'm really interested on.

So, do I pass up the deal and get a 30-50 watts head instead? or if I do get it, what can I do to achieve a good tone out of it at low volume?
Can you recommend a good and inexpensive attenuator that doesn't suck the tone?

I'd go with the Orange dual terror. ITs a small, all tube 2 channel head with a sick tone, and u can switch between 15 watts and 30 watts. And with tubes, 15/30 watts is actually a bit louder than 15 to 30 watts. You can get all of the desired and great tone out of each "power" level with the dual terror. Goes for around 859 i think. And since ur lookin to gig, 30 watts of tube power should do u ok (depending on how big ur gigs are).

Or u can go with the Orange tiny terror, which is pretty much the same thing, only its one channel, its cheaper, and in ur case could be better for volume issues because it is switchable between 7 watt power and 15 watt power. Great tone from both amps. The tiny terror goes for around 549 i think.
Last edited by ipunchcouches at Nov 16, 2009,
You could try running a volume pedal through the FX loop of the head. If I'm not mistaken, the VH100R has 2 FX loops, so you can run any pedals you use through the first one and then a volume pedal through the second one.
Quote by eyebanez333
What kind of tones you looking to get?

Everything from jazz cleans to death & progressive metal, but not the overly saturated distortion.

I'd go with the Orange dual terror. ITs a small, all tube 2 channel head with a sick tone, and u can switch between 15 watts and 30 watts. And with tubes, 15/30 watts is actually a bit louder than 15 to 30 watts. You can get all of the desired and great tone out of each "power" level with the dual terror. Goes for around 859 i think.

Or u can go with the Orange tiny terror, which is pretty much the same thing, only its one channel, its cheaper, and in ur case could be better for volume issues because it is switchable between 7 watt power and 15 watt power. Great tone from both amps. The tiny terror goes for around 549 i think.

I've considered it and is on my list of possibilities but I have my eyes and hears set on the Laney (but I will keep it in mind). I'm mostly asking because I want to know if getting that Laney would be a good choice even if i have to do something or buy something to make it useful for home as well as live situations.
HT-5 head with 2x12 cab

Can go very loud, and I love it.
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
I appreciate the amp suggestions but what I really want to know (regardless of what specific amp, type of music, etc.) is how can I get good tone (sweet spot) from a 100 watts tube amp at bedroom levels?
I'm still doing my research for a good amp that suits me (the VH100r does so in tone and versatility so far) and I will check out some others amps but I just need an answer to my question so that I can figure out my possibilities and options, and know if I can still consider the VH100r or look for something else.
You can get a good tone from a tube 100 tube amp at low volumes easily.
You can't get a good power-tube breakup tone from a 100 watt tube amp at low volumes.

Theres nothing wrong with preamp distortion at bedroom volumes. Its not like it sounds bad, because it doesnt. Unless you REALLY need power tube breakup (ACDC sound), you shouldn't need to crank the amp at home.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
The Laney will still sound good at bedroom volumes. It just really shines at stage volumes. You don't need an attenuator and the only ones I can think of that don't suck alot of tone at bedroom volumes are $700. Just use the master volume.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Ok cool, that's what I was looking for thanks jc349 and mmolteratx.

Jc349 I see you have an Avatar cab, what's your opinion on them and how much do you think it would cost to get a simple 2x12 with good speakers?
Also, how are the Egnater amps?
Quote by jc349
You can get a good tone from a tube 100 tube amp at low volumes easily.
You can't get a good power-tube breakup tone from a 100 watt tube amp at low volumes.

Theres nothing wrong with preamp distortion at bedroom volumes. Its not like it sounds bad, because it doesnt. Unless you REALLY need power tube breakup (ACDC sound), you shouldn't need to crank the amp at home.

but theres a minimum level you have to play for a tube amp not to sound hissing and overcompressed .

and that volume to me pass beyond "bedroom volume" . i consider bedroom volume a little bit mroe than very low whisper volume .

a 2 watt tube head is still too loud for bedroom .. but i think the topic starter should described bedroom volume . if its whsiper or a bit above whisper ... if other people in the house cant hear or barely hear ... thats bedroom .

but bottom line .. theres a noise and hissing comming from a tube amp at really really low volume ... and thats for all the tube ive heard . and nothing you can do about it .

but it dpeend what bedroom is for you .

to give somewhat of an example of the sound that tube produce would be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPL7Pt5hVCo

at 10 seconds .. when he palmute .. you can hear the annoying sound of "not push tube " .. for powerchord it can still sound good .. but single note sound artificial .

at low bedroom whisper level .... this sound is annoying and make you guitar sound fake .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Nov 17, 2009,
While you were researching you should have seen something called a volume knob... That will do fine.

If not there is always re amping. You can ask Kevin saale or riffhog I believe.
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION