Page 1 of 2
This thread was first made to help me decide on a guitar high end guitar for under $2k. Since i made the decision to just upgrade the parts on my current guitar, ill leave the thread open so people can skill look at it and get any recommendations. Please keep posting.
Last edited by mrwiggles35 at Nov 19, 2009,
No. of frets?
Neck joint construction?

Ah screw that just get a Caparison TAT or Dellinger or Horus mate.

/thread
Gibson Les Pauls are pretty high end...

I'd say... a Schecter Hellraiser C-1/V-1 FR?

Even better, since I'm in a Gibby mood, Gibson Explorer or Gibson Flying V. No FR, but more than worth it.
Carvin.
Fender Deluxe Players Strat
535Q CryBaby
Boss SD-1
ISP Decimator
EHX Small Clone
Boss DD-7
MXR 10 Band EQ
Peavey Classic 30
look at getting a ibanez Jem or a high end ibanez S series. You might want to look into herman Li signature model, even if you dont like dragonforce it is an amzing guitar.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
wtf. 8th grader 2 grand? wow ok now thats thats out of the away for a shred guitar I would reccomend any of these four brands because you really cant go wrong with any of them, Ibanez, PRS, ESP or Jackson.
I was actually thinking about those but i thought that i didnt want a signature model because I want to develop my own sound as a guitarist. I dont really want to have somebody a signature model because they were built for their tone which not be what im looking for. im probably making myself look like a guitar n00b (which i am) but w/e ive been playing for under 2 years.
Quote by mrwiggles35
I was actually thinking about those but i thought that i didnt want a signature model because I want to develop my own sound as a guitarist. I dont really want to have somebody a signature model because they were built for their tone which not be what im looking for. im probably making myself look like a guitar n00b (which i am) but w/e ive been playing for under 2 years.

It's just a bit of ink on the headstock or whatever. Honestly if you removed that would you buy it now? Just because their is a name on the headstock it doesn't make you a fan boy contrary to popular belief.
Quote by matt s
wtf. 8th grader 2 grand?

Only child XD and my nationality is known for spoiling the kids. Win
Quote by al112987
"graduating" 8th grade is hardly an accomplishment wtf.

I know but my dad also said wen i first started guitar that if i became dedicated, after 2 years he'd buy me a really nice guitar. Well graduation is a few months after i first started playing guitar,and ive been dedicated ever since. so yea XD
Five years later and my dad won't even come to one of my shows.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Quote by Kevy Absolution

Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
Quote by Kevy Absolution

join the club my friend...
You should get an ESP Marauder Mirage to complement the Les Paul, it's a really simple, efficient metal guitar. Or think about an awesome amp, a Les Paul Studio is great for metal, you can work around the twenty-two frets. Honestly, only having twenty-two and covering songs that need twenty-four has improved my playing, because I work on my theory to rearrange the solos and make them my own. You could get something versatile like a JCM 900, or a great metal head, like a Krank Revolution or a Peavey 6505+. Go to Guitar Center and try stuff out. You ungrateful, greedy, spoiled brat.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Last edited by Pretty. Odd. at Nov 17, 2009,
Quote by Kevy Absolution

Well I guess I should be happy my parents came to my band's Power Violence show.
This sounds odd, but I seriously feel really bad for you. I usually would feel as if you're fortunate but not so much in this case. I'd rather be born in a third world country.
Quote by Pretty. Odd.
You ungrateful, greedy, spoiled brat.

lol i never said i was ungrateful. Im glad my parents would invest like this in me. But my dad would have a fit if i wanted to buy a new amp.
Quote by al112987
"graduating" 8th grade is hardly an accomplishment wtf.
this. unless you're some kind of genius and are going to college next year. okay I kid.

I would go for an Ibby SV5470.
Kaguya: Ibanez GRX20 - Coil-split handwound Humbuckers
Isabelle: Fender 50's Road Worn Strat signed by AutoVaughn
Selene: Ibanez RG2EX1
Blackstar HT-5
Quote by Pretty. Odd.
You should get an ESP Marauder to complement the Les Paul, it's a really simple, efficient metal guitar. Or think about an awesome amp, a Les Paul Studio is great for metal, you can work around the twenty-two frets. Honestly, only having twenty-two and covering songs that need twenty-four has improved my playing, because I work on my theory to rearrange the solos and make them my own. You could get something versatile like a JCM 900, or a great metal head, like a Krank Revolution or a Peavey 6505+. Go to Guitar Center and try stuff out. You ungrateful, greedy, spoiled brat.

ESP Marauder? Which one's that?
http://ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/Series-rg_prestige
http://ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/Series-s_prestige
http://ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/Series-sv_prestige
http://ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/Series-fr_prestige
http://ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/Series-rga_prestige

These all are the same quality and come with the same neck, they just vary in specs. I personally think Ibanez necks are amazing for anything. You should be able to easily find something that suits you. I think the basswood works best for shred but is lackluster when it comes to other things short of the heavy crunch tones of the 80s. But you have a Les Paul for the other stuff. The mahogany guitars will sound better for metal with the RGA leading the pack. The SV and FR are good for everything with less of an emphasis on metal in any form. The S is more suited to metal but it works fine for shred. I'm basing this on stock pickup configuration and body wood, but if you buy anything other than the RG, there's a high chance that you'll need a pickup change. But I feel like basswood and ash work best for shredding and instrumental stuff. A lot of shredders prefer those woods. But mahogany is better for metal and heavier stuff due to it's throaty nature and lower-midrange emphasis. But I find that the S and SV are thin enough to lose out on some of those qualities, which make it a better shred guitar. If the guitar is strictly for shred and you already have a LP, I would go for an RG3550MZ or RG3570Z.
Quote by Lekz
this. unless you're some kind of genius and are going to college next year. okay I kid.

I would go for an Ibby SV5470.
Ironically I went into an early college entrance program right after finishing 8th grade, and ironically I recieved a les paul for doing so. The $1100 really was nothing considering the $40k of free tuition I got. So really... I'm quite the hypocrite.

It was kind of a bribe actually... I didn't want to go to nerd school at the time.
Last edited by al112987 at Nov 17, 2009,
Quote by azn_guitarist25
ESP Marauder? Which one's that?
M-II is short for Marauder II, Marauder is their flat-top superstrat shape, where the Horizon is their carved-top superstrat shape.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Last edited by Pretty. Odd. at Nov 17, 2009,
Quote by Pretty. Odd.
M-II is short for Marauder II, Marauder is their flat-top superstrat shape, where the Horizon is their carved-top superstrat shape.

Shouldn't that be Mirage now? I don't think they even refer it to as Marauder, my mate had his custom ordered as a Mirage.
Your specs are broad as hell. . . . Everyone will tell you to get better amps, but i know the i want a new guitar feeling. So if you want a guitar i suggest:

import: caparison tat ii, esp horizon iii, esp ii-nt
buying locally: jackson sl2h , jackson rr1, prs custom 24 used

just throwing some ideas around 2000 for a guitar is quite a lot take your time and find one thats the best for you
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Shouldn't that be Mirage now? I don't think they even refer it to as Marauder, my mate had his custom ordered as a Mirage.
Alright, I suppose it is Mirage now. Shame, Marauder sounds so much cooler.
Quote by al112987
Ironically I went into an early college entrance program right after finishing 8th grade, and ironically I recieved a les paul for doing so. The $1100 really was nothing considering the $40k of free tuition I got. So really... I'm quite the hypocrite.

It was kind of a bribe actually... I didn't want to go to nerd school at the time.
See? this is the kind of man I'd respect. Unless you're a total snob about it. Then you'd lose all that respect.
Kaguya: Ibanez GRX20 - Coil-split handwound Humbuckers
Isabelle: Fender 50's Road Worn Strat signed by AutoVaughn
Selene: Ibanez RG2EX1
Blackstar HT-5
Lol you say you don't want a signature model, but a Les Paul is technically a signature model :P.
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Honestly the money or how he gets it is really none of our business. Sadly I had to wait until I was an adult to get a 2k guitar and pay for it myself so there is a tinge of jealousy but he wants our advice not our criticism. When I was all growd up and bought said guitar I ended up with a Jackson SL2H which is what I'm gonna recommend to you. The ESP M-II was a close second for me. The Carvin idea is a really good choice as well especially since they brought the ST 300 back. I dont really care for Carvin pickups that much but with what you will save by buying it direct will more than cover a pickup swap if you dont like them which might not be an issue. Carvin is the only guitar I feel comfortable buying not having played first. Plus with Carvin you get it custom just the way you want. Links:
http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=st300
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-SL2H-Custom-USA-Guitar?sku=511489&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26041338
http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_MII%20Neck%20Thru%20Model%20Electric%20Guitar%20Black_-1_10052_10002_-49982018?cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Solid%20Body%20Electric-_-MII%20Neck%20Thru%20Model%20Electric%20Guitar%20Black-_-EM2STDNTB
Quote by fretz86
Honestly the money or how he gets it is really none of our business.

I couldn't agree more.
jelifish has all that stuff dead on man.. if you're looking for a shred guitar, just think of what aspects of the guitar acomodate shred. anything he described rocks, if you're looking for something original and a bit rarer, go with a Jackson Kelly I'd say. I had a KE3 kelly and it was beautiful, felt so comfortable and adaptable to any style, but its really a shred guitar
Everyone who is rippin on this kid for getting a nice guitar cause hes graduating eighth grade should really just mind their own business. If his parents decide thats how they want to spend their money then more power to them, he is asking for your advice, not asking you to criticize him on something thats not really even what he did. I had to pay for my guitar and gear when I first started without my parents help and you don't see me complaining about how this kid is fortunate enough to have parents that will do that for him.

Sorry for the rant.

Anyways, I really like my Jackson (even though its only a $420 guitar) and I've played some higher end ones and they're very nice.
Guitar:
Jackson DX10D Dinky
Ibanez Tone Blaster 150w head
Line Six 4x12 cab
Marshall MG10CD
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell

Bass:
Ibanez ATK
Random ass EQ thing that's not even a real bass amp
1x18 2x10 cab
spoiled brat is right,

shredding

get a high-end ibanez with an original floyd

but prepare to re-learn the art of stringing and tuning guitars.
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin
you can't use a guitar to replace your lack of charm or social skills.

Worked for Malmsteen.
Last edited by Josher.K at Nov 17, 2009,
Page 1 of 2