I have an acoustic guitar that I got from my dad which I've played around a bit, I've had lessons about a year ago, but stopped after three months when I broke my arm and never really went back. I've since then picked up my guitar and went over what I previously learned + more. I really want to get into the instrument, but I feel acoustic just isn't me.

Growing up with electric guitar sounds on the radio (I'm 17 so I grew up listening to (after the embarrassing boy band stage of my life) Blink-182, Green Day, Sum 41, you know, the simple Pop-Punk groups, and then progressively broadened my musical choice to some heavier stuff like System of a Down and Avenged Sevenfold, and then finally took a step back to some old Pop and Psychedelic Rock music like The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Beach Boys...

So aside from a few exceptions, everything that I want to play is on Electric guitar. But being the jobless 17 year old I don't exactly have the biggest budget, but all's good because I don't mind second hand.

So with that in mind, what guitar/amp would you recommend? Keep in mind I am a complete beginner and know little about electric guitars, thus leading me here to find out more. Judging by looks only, I really like the look of the Fender Stratocaster and all the models that copied it with a much lower price tag (a drop in quality too probably).

I will be going to University, and will be bringing my guitar with me, and I do not plan on playing in any band/gig as this is more of a personal enjoyment (for now, later I do not know) so a very small amp would be perfect. I was looking at the Fender Mini Deluxe MD-20 as the size just seems perfect, but then again at the moment I am only judging by looks and size.

I have a budget around $200, maybe a bit more, and I am in no rush at all to make the purchase as I can still mess around with my acoustic (I know Rocky Racoon by The Beatles, can't play it well yet but I know the frets, the strum pattern etc., and I know the chords in Good Riddance by Green Day, but haven't taught myself the intro part).

P.S. The bands I listed, especially the Pop-Punk ones, are the ones I want to play the most.
Last edited by musho3210 at Nov 16, 2009,
A squeir strat would be best... but dont use those little fender frontman amps in the package... they kinda suck tone wise... get a squier standard strat and a dinky amp for like 400$ tops. good luck! (im off to learn rocky racoon now)
GUITARS
Burswood Acoustic
Squier Affinity Strat
Fender Tele Deluxe
BASS
Ibanez Jetking bass
AMPS
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey max 158 bass amp
Fender Bassman 250
1979 Carvin of some sort
And some pedals
My friend's selling a Squier Bullet for $70-$80, but hes the type of "friend" that is more interested in money than being a "friend," seems like a good pinch, but I haven't seen it so I don't know if it really is a Squier Bullet or some cheap knockoff....

Unless I can find a second hand Squier Strat, it'd be over my budget....
Last edited by musho3210 at Nov 16, 2009,
Offer your "friend" 50 bucks for it ... ie try to get the lowest price from him as possible. It would be good for you to learn stuff on and if you can get it cheap then all the better.

However you will want to get a better amp then that.... If you wanted something small then maybe check out a roland microcube or vox DA-5... But i would recomended that your try out a few 15w beginner amps.
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Don't get a Squire, go on craigslist, you can get a MiM Fender for the same price as the Squire.
In the last month I've purchased two MiM Fender's both rare models, both under $300, both great guitars. The action/playability on the average MiM is considerably better than that on a Squire. I've got a couple MiM Fenders now, and the highest end Squire you can buy, I'd say the three of them are about equal, but the MiM have better necks/action/playability. The nut on my Squire was put on by a retard, it has better tuners than the MiM's though, and good pickups although the model of Squire I have is now selling for $350 new. If you do get a Squire buy one with Duncan Designed pickups, or one that's made in India. They'll be better than most, and probably about as good as a MiM. Although, if you go on CL it's seems the most popular items to resale are MiM Fenders so it's easy to find a good deal on a good guitar.
Since you only want to do this for personal enjoyment I say go with the Roland Microcube for an amp. For the cost and size it's absolutely great, though if you ever get serious about this you're gonna need something better.
I'll look into the microcube, if I get the 70$ guitar I should have enough for a first hand Roland Micro cube amp.

I'll also see if I can get that MiM (made in mexico I'm guessing?) Fender

Any other suggestions?
Last edited by musho3210 at Nov 17, 2009,
For the love of god don't get one of the new squires, they are trash and wont have the sound you want. Aim for craigslist/ebay in order to grab a MIM Stratocaster HSS or a second hand VG American, which tends to run pretty low and is much better quality than a MIM. If you cant find one then Get a Yamaha Pacifica and throw in a Cube or Spider 3. I have plenty of gear and i still use my pacifica, its a great guitar, light, 22 fret, good sound.
2013 Ibanez Jem 7vwh
Lakewood Sungha Jung Signature
Fender Custom Shop Stratocaster
LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
MIA Fender Strat VG + MiJ Mustang
Martin D1 +Tayor 210e
Kremona Rondo TL Classical
Gretsch G5120
Allot of people here are saying stay away from squiers... but you can get some really good ones (except the pickups, their garbage) for a lot cheaper than a MIM strat, which he obviously doesnt want to spend money on. especially if he doesnt get into it, then hes blown some considerable money
GUITARS
Burswood Acoustic
Squier Affinity Strat
Fender Tele Deluxe
BASS
Ibanez Jetking bass
AMPS
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey max 158 bass amp
Fender Bassman 250
1979 Carvin of some sort
And some pedals
Quote by Heylo12
Allot of people here are saying stay away from squiers... but you can get some really good ones (except the pickups, their garbage) for a lot cheaper than a MIM strat, which he obviously doesnt want to spend money on. especially if he doesnt get into it, then hes blown some considerable money

I agree you can get some decent Squire's but it's not common, and if you don't know what you're looking for you probably won't realize you've purchased a piece of crap til later when you play a guitar that is set up decent. And Squires now days actually are starting to get better pickups than MiM, Duncan Designed pickups are in no way different than Duncan pickups aside from the fact that they're not a rip off.
But I think the difference is that, the Mexican's are better fretted and have a better nut. They're better set up so there is less fret buzz and lower action. Guitars from the east are in some ways better though. Usually the real good ones will have better hardware but worse set ups. I have a Squire Made in India and it's a great guitar, but when I got it the nut wasn't put on well and so the playability suffered. The quality gap has been closing though. And it doesn't really matter what you get for a first guitar.
kurt:
very true. ive got an affinity strat (crazy cheap), and the action/setup is perfect. ive played loads of guitars, and there is certainly a few better, but for the price you cant beat a squier. If you stick some really great fender pups in youve got a pro guitar right there. I have seen some squiers though that are really terrible, but not enough to change me mind
GUITARS
Burswood Acoustic
Squier Affinity Strat
Fender Tele Deluxe
BASS
Ibanez Jetking bass
AMPS
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey max 158 bass amp
Fender Bassman 250
1979 Carvin of some sort
And some pedals
Hmm, which squier would be ideal then? Bullet, affinity etc.

From what I've seen of the pacifica 112j, it seems like that would be my best bet for a begginer guitar, but I haven't had any luck finding one used.

Heres a list of ones that I'd be interested in, they are all between $100-200, so nothing special, but seeing as I am just starting I can't have myself throw down more than $300 on a guitar.

(ignore color, and I'd be looking for second hand)

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-GRX20Z-Electric-Guitar-620739-i1469185.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Bullet-Electric-Guitar-with-Tremolo-104494315-i1385540.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Fender-Starcaster-Strat-Rock-Band-Electric-Guitar-Value-Pack-501903-i1495814.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-GRX20-Electric-Guitar-103557120-i1150594.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-GRX20Z-Electric-Guitar-620739-i1469185.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-PAC012-Electric-Guitar-101676138-i1146642.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Affinity-Fat-Stratocaster-HSS-Electric-Guitar-886082-i1473220.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-GSA60-Electric-Guitar-103122719-i1150636.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-PAC112J-Electric-Guitar-33950-i1146645.gc

I'm sure you get the picture

Judging by what I'd like to play and best bang for buck (will probably get a roland microcube as an amp), which one(s) would be best? Which one(s) should I stay far away from?
Last edited by musho3210 at Nov 27, 2009,
imo get the yamaha pacifica and the microcube or vox da5. ill b something to get you started to test if you really are dedicated to play and like it.
My first guitar and amp together were 75 dollars(terrible amp) but ok guitar.
my advise is to spend more money on the amp(if you get good tones it actually makes you wanna play) as i know when i upgraded from my terrible amp and got a 100 dollar vypyr my tone skyrocketed and now i play everyday and i am motivated...but dont cheap out on the guitar. go try out the pacifica ive heard there the best first guitar for the money.
i say go for an excel strat copy. out of all my gear its near my fav and it only cost me $120 plus no matter what the beating it took. (from falling two stories and withstanding my favored 14-72 in standard setup it has to be the most vesitiale.) it still lived on. =D

plus it actually sounds good heavily distorted. (rare in single coils)
Roland Microcube is the perfect amp for you. It's tiny, inexpensive, and you can do so much with it. its about $130 new and it will make whatever guitar you get sound better.

I suggest for a really nice strat copy a yamaha pacifica 012 (or 112 if you can muster up the cash). I've found that is the best dollar for dollar budget setup around. My old music theory teacher used to use the setup as his traveling setup, and I was so impressed by how good it sounded for all styles.
UG's Prodigal Son
Most squires are crap. A Yamaha Pacifica would be a much better beginner guitar.
The Squiers are fine to learn on if setup properly from a good guitar shop. I have a Squier Tele Custom II and enjoy playing it. If you can spend a bit more at that price range you get a noticeably better guitar but if that is out of your budget don't worry you will be fine with a Squier.

Once you get more into guitars you can always buy a better guitar in the future.

Good luck
Go witha Yamaha, and a Microcube. The Cubes a great wee amp And the Yamaha is playable even when you grow out the begginer stage.
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Just picked up a second hand pacifica for 150$ before tax, with a free carrying case and a new set of strings. I think its the 112j model, judging from looks. Didn't get the greatest of deals, but still got the guitar.
Quote by battlespud
For the love of god don't get one of the new squires, they are trash and wont have the sound you want. Aim for craigslist/ebay in order to grab a MIM Stratocaster HSS or a second hand VG American, which tends to run pretty low and is much better quality than a MIM. If you cant find one then Get a Yamaha Pacifica and throw in a Cube or Spider 3. I have plenty of gear and i still use my pacifica, its a great guitar, light, 22 fret, good sound.

What does all that jargon mean? MiM, VG, HSS? Obviously I'm an idiot when it comes to electric guitars. But that's why I'm here. Hopefully I can learn a few things.