I was just setting up my Orange at the band's practice space, and it looks as if part of the cable I use to control reverb (standard insturment cables) has broken off and is now being held in the jack by the gold plates that hold jacks in. The problem is, it looks as if I'm going to have to stick something tinyin there, to push down what is holding the piece in there.

In essence, I want to make sure there are no risks of electrocution. Obviously the amp will be unplugged, just making 100% sure there is nothing built up. The jack leads to the reverb tank, so there is no chance of danger, correct?

I know all of you will see this and immediatly say "you don't know what you're doing, take it to a tech, blah", but it really is just a matter of pushing something down that gets pushed down everytime you put in/take out a cable.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Invest in some electricians gloves perhaps?
Gear:
08' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Vintage 30
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
"The problem is, it looks as if I'm going to have to stick something tinyin there"

Try your dick.
Quote by guitarted
take the back plate off and try to find the jack. push the piece out instead of in.

Not very easy with the Orange's chassis, it seems like. I would have the take the amp out of the box, and somehowe come through the bottom or something, seems rather much for what it is. I'll keep that in mind if other efforts are to no avail.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by SomeBlueKind
"The problem is, it looks as if I'm going to have to stick something tinyin there"

Try your dick.

reported for unoriginality
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
reported for unoriginality

how about a wahburger and some french cries?

If there is anything in there to shock you, don't you think it would have when you touch the end of the cable?

If your that worried, i would just leave the amp unplugged for a few days and then try it.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by Gundamnitpete
how about a wahburger and some french cries?

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
how about a whineken?
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by dcdossett65

In essence, I want to make sure there are no risks of electrocution. Obviously the amp will be unplugged, just making 100% sure there is nothing built up. The jack leads to the reverb tank, so there is no chance of danger, correct?

No chance of danger?!
You're blindly poking around in the guts of a live tube amp (yes, it's live, even unplugged).
You can be 100% sure that there IS DEFINITELY something built up, and that something is several hundred volts.
As you say, that jack DOES lead to the reverb tank, but where does it come from? That would be a tube, likely a 12at7 or some such, which is likely to have a straight shot to the filter caps, which are in turn likely have all that voltage just waiting for a good ground. Like a human.

Quote by dcdossett65
I know all of you will see this and immediatly say "you don't know what you're doing, take it to a tech, blah", but it really is just a matter of pushing something down that gets pushed down everytime you put in/take out a cable.

Really, it's probably going to be ok.
BUT: Why risk it?
I am very comfortable working inside tube amps, even with them plugged in and running.
But that's because I KNOW what is what, and I can SEE what I'm poking at!
Find a way to pull it out without being intrusive (magnet? wad of duct tape? automotive grabber?), or pull the chassis and push it out from behind (very easy, much safer because you can see where you're poking).
Quote by Rutch
No chance of danger?!
You're blindly poking around in the guts of a live tube amp (yes, it's live, even unplugged).
You can be 100% sure that there IS DEFINITELY something built up, and that something is several hundred volts.
As you say, that jack DOES lead to the reverb tank, but where does it come from? That would be a tube, likely a 12at7 or some such, which is likely to have a straight shot to the filter caps, which are in turn likely have all that voltage just waiting for a good ground. Like a human.

Really, it's probably going to be ok.
BUT: Why risk it?
I am very comfortable working inside tube amps, even with them plugged in and running.
But that's because I KNOW what is what, and I can SEE what I'm poking at!
Find a way to pull it out without being intrusive (magnet? wad of duct tape? automotive grabber?), or pull the chassis and push it out from behind (very easy, much safer because you can see where you're poking).

I know there is voltage built up, I was making sure it wasn't in that jack. Also, I was skeptical of danger because of the fact that we connect jacks to the very same place I am trying to get to, without any harm, when they themselves could conduct electricity Literally, it's just like a cm, maybe even half a cm deep in there.

There is no way to pull it out, I initially tried a small amont a force, it is completley stuck.

EDIT: Also, many thanks for being one of the few who actually provided some decent input on the matter.

Quote by Gundamnitpete
how about a whineken?

I love the fact that you think you're pissing me off.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Last edited by dcdossett65 at Nov 16, 2009,
Spam in this thread is being warned. Any more of it will result in bans.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by dcdossett65
I know there is voltage built up, I was making sure it wasn't in that jack. Also, I was skeptical of danger because of the fact that we connect jacks to the very same place I am trying to get to, without any harm, when they themselves could conduct electricity Literally, it's just like a cm, maybe even half a cm deep in there.

There is no way to pull it out, I initially tried a small amont a force, it is completley stuck.

couldn't you replace the entire jack?
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by Gundamnitpete
couldn't you replace the entire jack?

it doesn't sound as if that's needed at all, it's just that piece stuck in there.

I'll concede that it will probably be fine, it's just an extraordinarily foolish idea.
I know Oranges are a b*tch, but it's not THAT hard.

It's certainly safer to just pull the chassis.

Why would you assume it's safe to touch these things?
You're talking about the tip connection of the jack. When could you possibly have touched that? When you handle the 1/4 lead, you're just touching the sleeve side, unless the lead is already unplugged.

That's like saying it's safe to touch inside an electrical outlet, just because you can unplug a lamp and touch it's cord prongs.

Not trying to lecture you or sound like an old man, and it would probably be ok, but really...
True, I'm just saying, the piece of metal you are touching is connected to what is touching...well you get the idea. I'm not trying to disprove you or anything, as I know just the basics of tube amps, but I dont see how pulling the chassis will make it safer, won't I still be touching the same parts..? Again, I dont mean to find loopholes or anything, just trying to learn more.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Honestly, the only real reason for pulling the amp is so that you don't accidentally poke your poking thing too far, and maybe short to something nasty. Unlikely, but a risk, and more so than doing it from the other side, because if you poke to far that way, you just go through the jack.

The other point I'm trying to make is about just assuming that because you plug something in, it means it's safe to touch.
It's flawed to think that just because you can touch the cable tip when it's unplugged that it's ok to touch the jack tip connection.
There's nothing terrible about touching the reverb driver tip, in any amp I know of, but that's a very unhealthy reasoning, ie, the lamp analogy. Really think about it: have you ever touched that tip connection the jack?
needlenose pliers would do it. the jack piece is broken off inside the jack right? just cram it in and try to get it out.

you could try googling to see if there are electrical charges in a reverb tank.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.