I always do a 1,2,4 finger 3 nps exercise to train my speed and muscle memory for those fingers, and then switch to a 1,3,4 finger exercise in the same manner. There's one position that always sounds good to me, even when improvising and messing around. The only thing is, there's apparently not a name for this "scale" I use. As follows:

This is the scale in question.

As you can see, it is a combination of E Phrygian and E Bebop Minor. That's simple enough. This mainly sounds good in a descending pattern, like so:

--15-13-12----13-12---------12------------
--------------15---------15-13----15-13-12
-------------------------------------------------

Continue this pattern in the format of the first image all the way down to the e note on the low e. It doesn't sound so good in an ascending pattern. Does anybody know why this is the case?

BTW, that descending pattern is very good if you're wanting to build up some technique for both the right and left hand.
Last edited by CrimsonHorn at Nov 16, 2009,
Well I think it's subjective, some might not think it sounds that great descending.
the first one looks like E Minor, except you have a F on the high E string, I'm guessing that's a mistake

I guess the second is E Bebop Minor

the third is C Major or A Minor. it could be E phrygian, but unless it's in the right context it'll be C major or A minor.

If you're using them all at once just think of it as E minor with some chromatic notes thrown in. It doesn't have anything to do with modes if you're mixing them together like that.
Quote by The4thHorsemen
the first one looks like E Minor, except you have a F on the high E string, I'm guessing that's a mistake.

But there's also C and C# and G and G#