I often see threads where people are looking for a 20-30 watt amp for home/basement use. Often times fellow UGer's recommend an amp like the Blackstar Ht-5. I guess I just cant seem to wrap my head around the concept of 5 watts. My amp is 40 watts (tube) and it goes up to 12 volume wise. On average, my volume very rarely passes two. Which means (i'm no math major or anything), on average, im using about 6 2/3 watts. This is very, very quiet. Does this mean that an amp at 5 watts will be softer than this? Because people often talk about how loud 5 watt amps are, but I just can't imagine they're that loud. Am I crazy?

Current Gear

Gibson Flying V
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra
Jackson Professional Dinky
Fender Blues Deluxe
Vox Vt30

Mad Effects
Well.....
Think of it like this-

x10 watts=x2 volume
This is a good rule, not necessarily true though, as there are other factors to loudness.
5 watts tube is really loud.

For me to crank a tube amp in my house, 1 watt would be too loud for me, realistically.

A 50 WATT TUBE AMP IS ONLY TWICE AS LOUD AS A 5 WATT TUBE AMP.

Its trippy, but true

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
i may be wrong, but watts may be measured on some kind of scale, so that, 10 watts doesnt have twice the output, technically, of 5 watts. i dont really know though.
Rig:
Jay Turser ES-335 w/ 2 Burstbuckers OR
J&E Custom w Duncan SSL3 and SHL59>
MXR Dynacomp>
Ibanez TS-9>
Dunlop Crybaby>
Fender Hot Rod DeVille 212
effects loop:
Boss BD-2>
Danelectro Vibe>
Boss DD-6>
Morley Volume

my shit screams.
Yeah I understand everything you guys are saying, but 5 watts is 5 watts, regardless of the amp, right? So If I'm not happy with the volume of my 40 watt tube amp around 5-7 watts, I wont be happy with any 5 watt amp, correct?

Current Gear

Gibson Flying V
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra
Fender Blues Deluxe
Vox Vt30

Mad Effects
5 watts tube is as loud as a trumpet (aka very loud) cranked. You are not using 6 2/3 watts. Most bedroom players rarely go past 1/10-1/2 of a watt. Your volume control doesn't really correspond to how much power is being used in that exact of a fashion. Of course it goes up when the knob goes up but it isn't a perfect ratio like that.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by MBradley2011
Yeah I understand everything you guys are saying, but 5 watts is 5 watts, regardless of the amp, right? So If I'm not happy with the volume of my 40 watt tube amp around 5-7 watts, I wont be happy with any 5 watt amp, correct?

if you have a 40 watt amp and it goes up to ten, on volume level one you are NOT using 4 watts. it's not a direct relationship like that.

As stated, 5 watts is loud. I doubt you use 5 watts in a bedroom or basement level playing.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Thank you for clearing up that confusion guys. I always thought volume and watts were a direct relationship. shows how much I know

Current Gear

Gibson Flying V
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra
Fender Blues Deluxe
Vox Vt30

Mad Effects
Quote by JRKul393
i may be wrong, but watts may be measured on some kind of scale, so that, 10 watts doesnt have twice the output, technically, of 5 watts. i dont really know though.

It's the log scale I believe. The decibal system is built on it
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Les Paul Copy
AX Copy
Ibanez Gio

JCM 800 4211

Vox 847
Marshall Guv'nor 2

Need more amps!
most amps I've played will stay pretty reasonable in volume and then have a huge jump at around 9-10 o clock.

My plexi head goes from a good home volume to stage volume literally one notch over on the volume dial (at around 9 o clock)
watts --- power.

SPL --- volume.

just crank a 5 watt amp and you'll see what people are talking about. it's about as loud as a drumset.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Also remember that wattage only refers to an amps volume before clipping. The OD channel on my blackstar is damn loud and must be way louder than 5 watts

EDIT: When cranked of course
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Wattage is more of a measure of headroom than overall volume. Won't be much different than say 15 watts, it will break up easier but not as much volume loss as expected.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
bad math, 5w of tube can get you kicked out of your apartment if you crank it.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Tube amps in general are loud.

If you want something quiet, I say get an amp with a headphone jack for silent practice.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
to put it as simply as I can, the ht-5 is about on par with some serious shouting... also something that can get you booted out of an apartment.

SHAMELESS PLUG: for all your speaker-related news and questions, search for the "coneheads" thread!!!
Quote by MBradley2011

No, your amp is very likely not putting out 5-7 watts at 2 is the thing. The potentiometers are designed to let the volume come smoothly, so you're probably not hitting 5 watts until you have about a 4th of the volume up (that's an arbitrary number, point is you're not that far up yet). 2 on a scale of 12 is not one sixth of the overall volume in this case.

Think of the way we perceive volume--it moves on a curve, not a straight line. Sure it may take 50watts to sound twice as loud as 5, but it only takes 10 watts to sound 30-40% louder than 5.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Nov 17, 2009,
Quote by mmolteratx
You are not using 6 2/3 watts. Most bedroom players rarely go past 1/10-1/2 of a watt. Your volume control doesn't really correspond to how much power is being used in that exact of a fashion. Of course it goes up when the knob goes up but it isn't a perfect ratio like that.

agreed. volume controls are generally logarithmic, plus sound is logarithmic too, etc. etc. and it'll depend on the taper on the pot etc. too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by MBradley2011
Yeah I understand everything you guys are saying, but 5 watts is 5 watts, regardless of the amp, right?

Wrong. My 100 watt Bassman is a pretty quiet amp for 100 watts. My 5 watt valve junior when cranked was as loud as my 100 watt Bassman at about 3/4... Go figure.

Quote by al112987
My plexi head goes from a good home volume to stage volume literally one notch over on the volume dial (at around 9 o clock)

Ya this too, the '5' on my Bassman's MV might as well be an on off switch...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Nov 17, 2009,
5w tube is loud. it also depends on what cab you run it through. more volume is percieved by the human ear the more air is being pushed
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
A five watt tube amp is pertty loud, but trying to figure out this wattage=volume is going to take a rocket scientist. Every amp is designed differently, so the same equations and typical conversions wont work. I play my 50 watt valveking at about 3-4 and there its using prolly around 10-20 watts of its power limit.

But the more amps your guitar pushes relative to its wattage should give you a better idea of how loud it will get. Watts is just the measure of work of electricity, amps is the current , so more amps=more total watts per second.

Something like that, IDK.
Could anyone tell me how loud 5W tube is in dB?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by MBradley2011
I often see threads where people are looking for a 20-30 watt amp for home/basement use. Often times fellow UGer's recommend an amp like the Blackstar Ht-5. I guess I just cant seem to wrap my head around the concept of 5 watts. My amp is 40 watts (tube) and it goes up to 12 volume wise. On average, my volume very rarely passes two. Which means (i'm no math major or anything), on average, im using about 6 2/3 watts. This is very, very quiet. Does this mean that an amp at 5 watts will be softer than this? Because people often talk about how loud 5 watt amps are, but I just can't imagine they're that loud. Am I crazy?

It doesn't work on a linear scale. Most 30 watt amps are only a couple of times louder than 4/5 Watt amps.
Quote by JesusCrisp
Could anyone tell me how loud 5W tube is in dB?

do you understand the concept of the dB? it's really not that straightforward, and the dB SPL decreases the further you are from the source/speaker.

i have an SPL meter, but not a 5watt amp with me, sorry.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
seems like alot of ppl dont know all amps have volume knobs, even a 150w amp can be played at whispering volumes..
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard