The major scale, and I figure its about time I learn a few more. So, I basically would just like some suggestions on ones that I should learn. I listen to allot of punk, hardcore, ska, folk punk and melodic metal. So any scales that are useful for many genres of music as well as ones that are suitable for the styles of music that I like. Your suggestions are much appreciated.
>_> try minor scale? harmonic minor for a little embellishment and, if your compositions have classical roots, i recommend melodic minor since not many classical composers used the natural minor scale.

also: see church modes (of major scale/harmonic minor/melodic minor).

(you might find phrygian and locrian interesting, esp. for death metal)
mwrmax, I do know what I'm doing with scales. Why would I be asking and wanting to learn about more of them if I was clueless about music theory?
Quote by shoottheofficer
mwrmax, I do know what I'm doing with scales. Why would I be asking and wanting to learn about more of them if I was clueless about music theory?

Lots of (most?) people here do it, so it wasn't an unreasonable leap of logic for him.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by shoottheofficer

Modes are just the major scale with a different root note. Note wise once you know the major scale you know all of the modes as well. I think this is what he was getting at.
My Gear:
Custom Fender 62' Reissue Strat
Carvin Custom Shop DC400T
Jackson SL3 Soloist
Fender Super-Sonic 112
Boss GT-10

Quote by XianXiuHong
000-000-000-000-000
PM------------------------

You can now play every Slayer song.
Major/minor pentatonic scales and blues scales. They are incredibly versatile.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.