Hey i am pretty new to guitar and ultimate guitar. Seems like a great site. I was just seeking advice and i know there are many players here. Any help is appreciated. Well i am a fan of many genres right now big into John Mayer and the whole Blues Rock and i want to play like that I know he is a fan of clapton,hendrix,Srv and the like. I have learned E based Barre Chords and a number of open chords and i learned the minor pentatonic scale (doesn't sound soulful when i try to play it) I really wanna be awesome at guitar and I try to cover songs but there are sooooo many chords and different ways that ppl play things! I have no idea what to do to progress. I am taking lessons now and i feel like im doing a better job discovering things on my own. Plz help and sorry for this long message.
Playing guitar is one of those things that takes experience to improve at. Keep playing and you'll get better; that's all I can really say.
@Xice Yeah i wish all the skill i have as a gamer would translate to guitar playing but i guess you are right. I didn't become the kick ass gamer that i am over night took time and many a restless nights. Its just a bit discouraging at times. Anyone a big fan of Blues Rock? Have anytips? I wrote a song using the thumb over barre chords but i was only able to do so because it kinda piggy backed off of John Mayer's Friends Lovers or nothing
hey lonely, i also suck ass at guitar =DD figured a little advice from one noob to another may help haha

first thing i will say is expand your interests - dont just think 'MUST PLAY MAYER...MUST PLAY MAYER'. that was my original outlook just playin Slash licks but then i realised i could absorb his notes, but not his feel... thats something you must develop on your own, and i done it by sampling different types of music, and trying to combine it.

another thing is just practice... thats an issue that bothered me, i became solely dedicated to guitar for 3 months... then slacked off, and my performance dropped so much. something fun engaging difficult(ish) is what i go for, but not just playing chords or scales... a trick of mines is linking songs... eg, playing the opening riff to Plug In Baby, then onto the riff of LZ's Rock And Roll, then onto the solo of More Than A Feeling... just 2 mix up and get used 2 changing rythmns.... i know that advice sucks its just hard for me to lay down how i practice.. it just sorta...happens, i have no specific method, the only principle of mines is DONT FOLLOW THE CROWD PRACTICING SCALES...TOOOOO BORING =/

personally i self teach myself, using youtube to absorb techniques like pinch harmonics and stuff whenever i need em. i just feel that using a teacher will end up with you forcing yourself subconciously to imitate them.

if ya need any other ideas just ask... probably cant help but u would be amazed how 1 guitarist can help another right =)
Quote by The_Lonely_Soul
@Xice Yeah i wish all the skill i have as a gamer would translate to guitar playing but i guess you are right. I didn't become the kick ass gamer that i am over night took time and many a restless nights. Its just a bit discouraging at times. Anyone a big fan of Blues Rock? Have anytips? I wrote a song using the thumb over barre chords but i was only able to do so because it kinda piggy backed off of John Mayer's Friends Lovers or nothing
Its great that you're starting to write, and don't worry that at the moment you're basing it off other songs. As you write more and get more experience and confident you'll gradually develop your own style.

If you're using the minor pent to improvise don't think of it as playing the scales - you're just using the notes that occur in that scale to play a melody. When I first started improvising my teacher got me to just use 3 or 4 notes from the scale (including the root) and just improvise with them - it lets you focus on your rhythm and phrasing rather than thinking about what note to play next. It also gives you a chance to get those notes fixed in your head to the point that you can start thinking of little licks in your head and playing them.

As far as songs go - you could try something like ACDC (Shook Me All Night is fun and pretty easy - and you could probably have a good go at the solo (which is minor pentatonic) if you take it slow), or ZZ Top - Tush is a good old blues rock song, or Layla (minus Clapton's 12 mins of slide guitar at the end lol)

Don't expect yourself to be brilliant straight away - enjoy the journey, its fun

If you want to write its probably a good idea to learn the Major scale - you can derive pretty much any scale you'll ever need from the major scale, and if you learn to harmonise the scale you've suddenly got a really easy way of working out what chords will work with what scale. Doesn't stop you doing stuff solely by ear, but gives you a fallback plan when you get stuck, and makes it a lot easier to see what going on in other peoples songs.

Its worth asking your teacher stuff as well - if you have any specific questions ask him/her. They should appreciate you being proactive, and will probably have more enthusiasm for teaching you if they know you are really trying and thinking about stuff.
Once again Zhilla gives some good advice. Listen to her. Also I am a little concerned about your teacher. A good teacher would be steering you in the right direction and you should feel like you are progressing. So either you're teacher could be better, or you are not working with your teacher as well as you could be.