So, being a guitarist who's finally stepping into the world of tube amps, this is one of the ones that I've been considering. I know it's a JCM900 clone, but I have some more specific questions that I've been considering. I play doom metal, stoner rock, and various other genres that require a decent amount of gain and a LOT of low end, plus the ability to handle low tunings well.

How different is the amp from a JCM900? Are the cleans better or worse? Is the gain thin, or is it pretty thick and chunky? Do the early runs of 1990's have the same reliability issues as the 333's/6260's? How well does it handle pedals?

Is there a Bugera owner in the house?
google the amp. there are reviews of it and al that jazz. i ahvent fund anyone om here that owns one. im thinking about buying one myself. its pretty much the same as the 900 but a little brighter. which isnt a bad thing. just have to find your settings. no reason it wouldnt be good for doom and stoner stuff.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
There's a 'review' on youtube where some dude takes the 1990 and a JCM900 and a/b's them for you.

His playing is pretty shit and it's recorded with a webcam or something awful, but you can still pick out some of the bigger differences. The JCM900 definitely sounds more musical and alive. But then there is quite a big price gap between the amps.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
After listening to a good side by side demo of the 1990 and jcm900, they are pretty damn close. Haven't had a chance to play around with one, but by it's self I don't believe it wold be able to do doom or at least what I would consider doom levels of gain. With some good eq tweaking and a good clean boost in front I'm sure it could get to the level of gain you want.

edit: good vid
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Nov 17, 2009,
for your doom, i would go with the 6260/6262
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
I'd really love to try the amp, but no one near me carries Bugera. Guess I'll just keep reading, watching, and listening.

Quote by justinb904
After listening to a good side by side demo of the 1990 and jcm900, they are pretty damn close. Haven't had a chance to play around with one, but by it's self I don't believe it wold be able to do doom or at least what I would consider doom levels of gain. With some good eq tweaking and a good clean boost in front I'm sure it could get to the level of gain you want.

Really? I thought JCM900's (and by extension, the 1990) were supposed to have gain out the ass.

EDIT: As far as the 6260's go, I've always thought that the various 5150 models, clones, and whatnot are super thin, and fizzy, which is definitely not what I'm looking for.
Last edited by Led Dirigible at Nov 17, 2009,
Quote by Led Dirigible
Really? I thought JCM900's (and by extension, the 1990) were supposed to have gain out the ass.
900's are Marshall's answer to everyone modding the fawk out of their 800's. They were supposed to be a higher gain amp that had all the punch and presence you got out of your typically modded JCM800. That being said, I still think of them as more of a hard-rock amp than anything. If you want that doom metal chugga you'll have to turn to pedals.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by Led Dirigible
I'd really love to try the amp, but no one near me carries Bugera. Guess I'll just keep reading, watching, and listening.

They have quite a bit of gain, the most of any vintage sounding amp I've herd, but not as much as say a 6505 or a Mesa Mark. And like I said, with a good clean boost in front you can probably get as much gain as you want out of it.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Thanks, both of you, you're being a great help.

I was planning on picking up a Maxon OD808 at some point anyway, so I guess that'll be as good of a boost as anything. (although not as clean as say, an OCD)
You might wanna wait till the marshall MA line comes out. They will be higher gain marshalls at a good price for a marshall i think. I still think marshall is alittle ovepriced but eh...
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
The 900 doesn't have THAT much gain, with a boost or overdrive you can hit some pretty good metal, but on its own its more suited for hard rock.

If you like that kind of sound I would just suggest getting a used 900, it would be about the price of the 1990.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Don't know about over there, but in Australia you could get a JCM900 used for the same price as a 1990 new, maybe a bit less.
Quote by acdclandon
The 900 doesn't have THAT much gain, with a boost or overdrive you can hit some pretty good metal, but on its own its more suited for hard rock.

If you like that kind of sound I would just suggest getting a used 900, it would be about the price of the 1990.

i dont get how people are saying it's not a metal amp. A 800 can be used for metal easily without evening had to mod it. just because it doesnt have the gain levels that a soldano slo 100 has or a 6505 doesn't mean it's not in any way a non metal amp. not all metal is the same. doom can be achieved with the 900 without a pedal. just depends on hwat youre going for. you going for shit like electric wizard or sunn? slap a fuzz in front of that amp and you can get some really good sludgey doom shit out of it if you like that style shit. i think people forget metal isn't a one trick pony.

Quote by slickerthnsleek
Don't know about over there, but in Australia you could get a JCM900 used for the same price as a 1990 new, maybe a bit less.

used youre still going to pay close to a grand for a 900. all depends on the condition, age and all that jazz as well. it also depends on the person and how generous or greedy they want to be.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Last edited by Crohny at Nov 17, 2009,
Quote by Crohny
i dont get how people are saying it's not a metal amp. A 800 can be used for metal easily without evening had to mod it. just because it doesnt have the gain levels that a soldano slo 100 has or a 6505 doesn't mean it's not in any way a non metal amp. not all metal is the same. doom can be achieved with the 900 without a pedal. just depends on hwat youre going for. you going for shit like electric wizard or sunn? slap a fuzz in front of that amp and you can get some really good sludgey doom shit out of it if you like that style shit. i think people forget metal isn't a one trick pony.

used youre still going to pay close to a grand for a 900. all depends on the condition, age and all that jazz as well. it also depends on the person and how generous or greedy they want to be.

I'm talking strictly gain, the amp, at least my amp has quite a bit of gain, but not into the comfortable metal territory personally. More specifically thrash metal at the least, modern metal is really pretty much a stretch.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
I'm talking strictly gain, the amp, at least my amp has quite a bit of gain, but not into the comfortable metal territory personally. More specifically thrash metal at the least, modern metal is really pretty much a stretch.

It couldn't do Nile type tones, but it could surely do Mastodon, and so on. It can do more than thrash with out a boost. it's all about settings and what you like. It might not be suitable for what you're into, but don't say it's not a good amp for metal. it does its job for some genres. it surely wont cover them all, but what he is looking to do it can do with no problem. even if he had to put a boost infront of it to satisfy his likes, he'd still be spending a lot less than on a 900 or some big time amp like marshall or soldano.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
As far as used prices for JCM900 heads go, I see them usually around $700, which is a bit rich for my blood at the moment.

I really do think the 1990 will have enough gain for me. If not, I'll just pick up an OD, which I'd probably be getting anyway. Thanks guys!
Anyone ever try EL34 tubes in the Bugera 1990. The manual says 5881 tubes which equate to 6L6 tubes. But I have seen several youtube videos with EL 34's being used. Is it safe? Do I need to bias to not burn up the tubes or the amp? Yes I know it has Infinium Tech, just making sure.

Skip
Amps: Bugera 1990, Bugera 333XL 2x12, Hughes & Kettner Vortex, Acoustic 1x12 100 watt, Lab Series 5, Fender rumble 150watt 15", Fender 30 champ 1x10.

Guitars: Epiphone Wilshire pro, Epiphone Les Paul standard/ Jr P90/ Special, Fender Telecaster, Squier Telecaster, Home Built Tele, Dean Vendetta, Fender strat x2 (one modded with HH the other with standard HH, Ibanez Gio with Seymour Duncan custom custom.

Cabs: Hughes & Kettner 4x12, Crate 4x12, VHT 1x12, Laney 2x12 cub cab, Bugera 2x12 stereo cab.

Fx: Boss ME 80, Boss Metal Distortion, Boss Delay/reverb, Joyo British, ****** Fuzz, Joyo Crunch, ****** Delay, Phase 90, Boss Compressor/sustainer.