For christmas i was planning on buying myself a little something, a Bugera 6262 head and a Vader 2x12 cab.

However, the thought came up, what if i want to play at night, in my dorm, at a friends house when i can't turn up the volume? The head has a 4, 8, 16 ohm switch and i need to specify the impedance i want on the cab when i order it. What are the advantages/disadvantages of the different ohm ratings? i need to know so i can buy myself a hotplate to work with them.

Thanks in advance, S.P.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Last edited by SPBY at Nov 17, 2009,
unfortunately, I can't answer your question as I have no experience with attenuators...what I can tell you, however, is that tube amps don't sound as terrible at low volumes as most people would have you believe...My Marshall 6100 sounds just fine for quiet playing, in fact, the clips on my profile were with the volume at about 1.5.

Try the amp out at low volumes before you blow money on a possibly unnecessary attenuator!
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
doesn't matter really as long as it matches, there is no audible difference
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
you get the most power using the 4ohm tap, but i dunno if you can get a 2x12 in a 4ohm configuration.

just go with an 8ohm cab, it's the most common anyway.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by chuckmehh
unfortunately, I can't answer your question as I have no experience with attenuators...what I can tell you, however, is that tube amps don't sound as terrible at low volumes as most people would have you believe...My Marshall 6100 sounds just fine for quiet playing, in fact, the clips on my profile were with the volume at about 1.5.

Try the amp out at low volumes before you blow money on a possibly unnecessary attenuator!

every tube amp i've played at low volumes (maybe not every but the majority) have buzz at low volumes and dont get the best overdrive/high gain sound that low.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by UnsignedRecords
you get the most power using the 4ohm tap, but i dunno if you can get a 2x12 in a 4ohm configuration.

just go with an 8ohm cab, it's the most common anyway.

yeah, i checked a bunch of cabinets, it seems you're right. thanks, i'll go with the 8 ohm

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by celticstorm84
I have a vader 212.....you'll love it.

my question is, if a 4x12 makes it a half stack, would a 2x12 be a quarter stack? and would a 2x12 + a 4x12 be a three quarters stack?

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by SPBY
every tube amp i've played at low volumes (maybe not every but the majority) have buzz at low volumes and dont get the best overdrive/high gain sound that low.

never had a buzz but I do agree with the second assessment. It's not the best, but I also don't find it to be too awful to justify spending $300. Maybe this is just me...I also boost my amp with an OD and run it through a noise gate so maybe this is contributing to my opinion.
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Quote by SPBY
yeah, i checked a bunch of cabinets, it seems you're right. thanks, i'll go with the 8 ohm

oh wait... 2 - 8ohm speakers wired in parallel will get you 4ohms. just so you know.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by chuckmehh
never had a buzz but I do agree with the second assessment. It's not the best, but I also don't find it to be too awful to justify spending $300. Maybe this is just me...I also boost my amp with an OD and run it through a noise gate so maybe this is contributing to my opinion.

i love the tone of the 6262 by itself so i didn't want to get an OD pedal and the hotplate functions as a noisegate as well

IRRELEVANT EDIT: it's 1:30 AM here and i'm supposed to be writting a paper on the Hiberno-Saxon Illuminated Manuscript's importance in the British Isles under Charlemagne for my History of Western Art class...

who thinks i made the right choice to talk about guitar instead?

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Last edited by SPBY at Nov 17, 2009,
Quote by SPBY
i love the tone of the 6262 by itself so i didn't want to get an OD pedal and the hotplate functions as a noisegate as well

never knew that...pretty awesome...well good luck man and hopefully you're happy with what ya get!
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Quote by SPBY

IRRELEVANT EDIT: it's 1:30 AM here and i'm supposed to be writting a paper on the Hiberno-Saxon Illuminated Manuscript's importance in the British Isles under Charlemagne for my History of Western Art class...

who thinks i made the right choice to talk about guitar instead?

I love the tone out of my 6262 aswell. I'm gonna say i do 95% of my playing at under .75 on the volume ( i live in an apartment with holograms for walls).

However, when at 3-4, this thing has to be heard to be beleived. The tone is the same IMHO, but the lower volumes lack the power....er.....volume.

I use mine as a bedroom amp and it works awesome, really great amp.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
TS, I'd like to redirect you to the "coneheads" thread... serving all things speaker and speaker-related.
Quote by Gundamnitpete
I love the tone out of my 6262 aswell. I'm gonna say i do 95% of my playing at under .75 on the volume ( i live in an apartment with holograms for walls).

However, when at 3-4, this thing has to be heard to be beleived. The tone is the same IMHO, but the lower volumes lack the power....er.....volume.

I use mine as a bedroom amp and it works awesome, really great amp.

yeah, but you have the combo, i would be blasting it out of a 240W cab. twice the power of your combo.

I think i'm just going to get the hotplate since i want great tone all the time haha

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
^ A cab dosent affect the volume that much, and the 240W isn't how powerful the cab itself is (cabs are not powered) but a measurement of how many watts they can handle.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
Quote by GrisKy
TS, I'd like to redirect you to the "coneheads" thread... serving all things speaker and speaker-related.

I see no reference to speakers whatsoever. This doesn't belong there anymore than it belongs here.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by chuckmehh

Actually, yes, many of them do sound as terrible as most people would have you believe. Granted it's all subjective, but there is a general concensus about this among most guitarists and musicians.
Quote by Sampy
^ A cab dosent affect the volume that much, and the 240W isn't how powerful the cab itself is (cabs are not powered) but a measurement of how many watts they can handle.

i am enlightened, thank you. i always wondered how that worked out

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by PSM
Actually, yes, many of them do sound as terrible as most people would have you believe. Granted it's all subjective, but there is a general concensus about this among most guitarists and musicians.

yeah, I wasn't trying to say they sound otherworldly at low volumes or even as good as they do when cranked. I was just saying they really don't sound terrible. It's still better than most solid state heads even at low volumes
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
I have an Avatar 2x12 closed back 4 ohm 'quarterstack'. Love it.

2 - 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel. I like that because if I ever wanted a 16 ohm cab instead I could re-wire the cab in series and boom...16 ohms. You can't do that with 16 ohm speakers.

The 6262 is a fuking loud amp. You can turn the volume to '0' and you can still hear yourself play. Good attenuators are costly, maybe $300.

Make sure you read BeerChurch's blog on these amps as well.
Quote by tubetime86
I see no reference to speakers whatsoever. This doesn't belong there anymore than it belongs here.

there's a big segment on impedance in the "coneheads" thread... = speaker-related
Last edited by GrisKy at Nov 17, 2009,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I have an Avatar 2x12 closed back 4 ohm 'quarterstack'. Love it.

2 - 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel. I like that because if I ever wanted a 16 ohm cab instead I could re-wire the cab in series and boom...16 ohms. You can't do that with 16 ohm speakers.

The 6262 is a fuking loud amp. You can turn the volume to '0' and you can still hear yourself play. Good attenuators are costly, maybe $300.

Make sure you read BeerChurch's blog on these amps as well.

i know, i was planning on spending around 300 for one anyway, seeing how it does what it's supposed to and functions as a noise gate.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by SPBY
yeah, but you have the combo, i would be blasting it out of a 240W cab. twice the power of your combo.

I think i'm just going to get the hotplate since i want great tone all the time haha

no.

I also hooked mine up through another 2X12 for a 4X12. Volume was barely effected, however my projection was increased.

You will be suprised of the tone at low volume. you will have to adjust the EQ at low volume (it likes to drop out the highs, so i increase them or dial in some presence).

Enjoy it's a great amp.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by chuckmehh
yeah, I wasn't trying to say they sound otherworldly at low volumes or even as good as they do when cranked. I was just saying they really don't sound terrible. It's still better than most solid state heads even at low volumes

We'll have to agree to disagree.

For a quiet practice amp, I prefer the sound of a solid state amplifier because I like the sounds you can get at low volumes from them much better than the sounds you can get from a very low tube amp. But again, it's all personal preference.
when dealing with speakers and attenuators, just match numbers. Whatever cab you buy will have an ohm rating, and all you need to do is buy a hotplate that matches that number, and plug it all into the matching output on the head.

I use a hotplate, and it will change your tone somewhat, but I haven't found it to be anything a little EQ tweaking couldn't fix.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by PSM
We'll have to agree to disagree.

For a quiet practice amp, I prefer the sound of a solid state amplifier because I like the sounds you can get at low volumes from them much better than the sounds you can get from a very low tube amp. But again, it's all personal preference.

some tube amps sound great at low volumes, others don't. seems like most solid state amps aren't as sensitive yeah.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

shot in the dark but couldn't he also pull either two outside or two inside power tubes to reduce wattage (would make it 60 watts)?
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Quote by chuckmehh
shot in the dark but couldn't he also pull either two outside or two inside power tubes to reduce wattage (would make it 60 watts)?

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
not all amps are able to do that. since people do it with the 5150/6505 it seems likely that it works with the bugera, but not positive.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
not all amps are able to do that. since people do it with the 5150/6505 it seems likely that it works with the bugera, but not positive.

So I'm not retarded..Hooray! haha
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Quote by UnsignedRecords

+1

I did it on my amp, but I don't own a Bugera. The guys in the Bugera thread can probably confirm.