First i spend about 10 doing chroma-tics 1234 up and down the fret board.

- 124 hammer on. Every string up and down
- 124 hammer ons 2 strings for ex 3 string 124 then 2 string 124 all the way up ,
- 124 hammer on doing 3 strings , same concept.

- 134 same as above.

-pentatonic scales major,minor and blues, Trying to get smooth transactions from shape to shape. Also find octaves and roots to go back to, to ease the tenstion from a bend for example. If that makes sense.

-getting more familiar with the c major scale and Am scale same thing. And know where the scale is up to the 12 fret. Later ill do 12 fret to 22. After i have perfected that ill move on to other scales in diff keys.

- what i want to do is build speed ,but, also sound good. To me sounding good is better than going crazy and busting out a billion notes in a sec.

- also all of these ill be useing a metronome to get the best results. I want it to sound as good as possible and smooth.
If there is any pointers greatly app. By all means spit them out there.

Also im starting to play with another guitar player. I am doing lead and he is doing rythem. What can i expect from him as a player? Ive never really played with anyone. About 2 years i played with a really good player but all i did was play what he wanted me to play. Nothing i "wanted " to play.

But i think this guy and me can really hit it off. Only bad thing is he likes country and i hate it lOL. I like classic rock, rock , some country,,,, jonny cash. Ballads, blues etc. So if anyone has anything positive to say plz help. Im not nervious or anything just want to know some pointers. What to bring etc....

ty
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
First, with chromatics you should mix up the order you play the notes, eg 1324 as it helps with finger independance, although if you're only doing 3 note per string chromatics it would benefit you more just to practice three note per string major scale runs instead.

If you want to learn a major scale from 0 - 12 then later 12-22 why dont you just learn the E major scale instead of C major so it repeats entirely (almost) at 0 - 12th fret. Then the arrangements of the notes is the same from 12th to 22nd frets.

Also you shouldn't have to relearn anything for other keys, the notes change but the intervals stay the same so assuming you can find all the root notes throughout the scale you can just change the root note and start the scale from the new key.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
I wouldn't spend all your time in C Maj/A min - change keys regularly if you can. I made the mistake of sticking to A min a lot when I first started playing, and fell into the trap of subconsciously relying on fret markers to find my way around the scale. Made it a pig to change keys.

I know you want to build speed but focus on accuracy rather than speed - as you get your hands more in synch and accurate speed will come naturally.

I'd be tempted to play scale in 3rd or 4ths, or use triads or arpeggios rather than chromatic exercises too - that way you're practicing something you're likely to use for real, rather than just exercises. Make up your own patterns with them too - makes it more interesting and you might even come up with riffs or licks you can use that way too.

As far as jamming goes - I'd make sure you can play a 12 bar blues comfortably before you meet him - its an easy way to get started jamming, even if you just use it as a warm up. I'd sort out at the start whether you're happy with you just playing lead and him just playing rhythm or if you want to take it in turns a bit - the guitarist I jam with originally said he wanted to play rhythm, but that was based on him not having confidence playing lead. We take it in turns, so he gets more confident playing lead and I get some practice playing rhythm (I need it lol my rhythm chops suck)

Be prepared to compromise on what you play - play some stuff you like, and some stuff he likes. Go with an idea of a couple of things you want to play first time you meet - but be prepared for him to have his own ideas Its not a bad thing that he likes country - its usually fun playing stuff even if you don't like listening to it, and you can learn loads from playing different genres to normal

Edit: Don't forget to leave some room for some fun stuff in your practice schedule! Learning songs, improv, writing your own stuff...
Last edited by zhilla at Nov 17, 2009,
Rolling up and down a shape isn't finger independence; change up the orders.

Also work on bends, vibrato, improvisation and songwriting. If you can't do those things well then all the 'technique' in the world is pointless.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
ty for the help zhilla- ty so much that link helped too.I shall practice my major to get better at it. say G scale in 3 strings 35 234 245 in every k onc i get comfortable in that ill work on the gbe strings and do 3 strings till i get the whole fret board. Learn the 12 bar blues etc work on pentitoncs smoothly from shap to shape. useing a metronome. Plz explain the chariles goes to battle thing?

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Meebo doesn't like me

You know the circle of fifths? Well the charlie goes to battle thing is the same info, but as a mnemonic instead of a picture

The order of sharps goes Father Charles Goes Down And Ends Battle - F# C# G# D# A# E# B#

Flats is in reverse - Battle Ends And Down Goes Charles' Father - Bb Eb Ab Db Gb Cb Fb

By playing scales as 123 234 I mean take a scale - say C Maj - and play it in groups of 3, so C D E, D E F, E F G, F G A etc. Single string to start with, then on 2 strings, then 3 as you get good

Or take triads and play them arpeggiated (one note at a time) - that helps you learn your way around the neck as well as giving both your hands some work, cos you can say play every A Maj triad on the neck, in each inversion, then every Bm triad or whatever you pick
now i just need to learn to play smoothly from shape to shape. Any tips on writing licks? i never write any.

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Quote by silly6-string
now i just need to learn to play smoothly from shape to shape. Any tips on writing licks? i never write any.
Adapt other peoples licks

Find a lick of someone elses that you like, and write an answering lick to it - if you can't do it on your guitar yet sing it, record it, then work out how to play it

Pick 3 or 4 notes from the scale and mess around with them til you come up with something you like

Noodle (or sing) over a backing track until you come up with something you like
Quote by silly6-string

Start in baby steps. Before worrying too much about writing whole licks, come up with fragments of licks, little 4-8 note doo-hickeys that sound good to you. As you build up your repetoire of fragments, you can start combining them to see what works together.

Another thing that's helpful is to keep some blank tab in your practice area. Whenever you come up with something that sounds cool, write it down so that you don't forget it.