So the string broke at the post, can I string it to the D post and the D to the G post? I haven't strung the D string yet so it's post is free also. It's a standard non angled fender strat head.
I guess, you might get some buzzing and the nut might not like it, but it's possible.

If they're new strings i'd take them back and complain though, coz if they can't handle stringing, they have no hope of handling playing.
I didn't understand that. But if you're swapping string gauges of two strings, they're they'll either be too flimsy or they'll snap easily.
Quote by Telecaster7
I guess, you might get some buzzing and the nut might not like it, but it's possible.

If they're new strings i'd take them back and complain though, coz if they can't handle stringing, they have no hope of handling playing.

-What do you mean the nut won't like it? Like it will mess with it?

"I didn't understand that. But if you're swapping string gauges of two strings, they're they'll either be too flimsy or they'll snap easily."

- I'm not doing any swapping. The strings will remain in their regular position, it's just when they get past the nut they will go to adjacent string posts. So the D string will be string normally up to the nut then it will go to the G post to lock in. Vice Versa, the G will be strung normally to the nut then it will go to the D post after the nut.
Quote by Naptime
-What do you mean the nut won't like it? Like it will mess with it?

Well, after thinking about it a bit, it would most likely be fine, coz of the thength between the nut slot and post minimizing the pull...

But give it a go, it probably* won't break your guitar instantaneously

*you never know, shit happens
its like 2 dollars for a new string ....
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

^ Sleeping is also good ....
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Lies! Ok, so i strung it up. Seem fine. If it does end up breaking the nut that's fine. I wouldn't mind getting a graphite one :P
you really dont want to ruin the nut cuts, so buy a new set of strings.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
If you try and string it thru a different post/tuner it probably will slip out of the nut while your playing and could damage the nut. Replacing a nut correctly will run big money compared to a $4.00 set of strings. People think all you do is just glue in the new nut but there is a lot more than that the nut has to be filed to the right height and fitted in the new slot so the strings sit at the right height at the top of the neck. The string slots have to be correct for the guitar if the spacing is too wide, to close or at the wrong height you'll have a hard time playing it and the string might buzz like hell. Usually after replacing a nut the guitar will have to be set up again.

I buy ten packs of strings when they are on sale. I always have a fresh set at all times.

John
I'll pick up some more strings today, but how is this different than say a Les Paul headstock? The majority of the strings are angled once past the nut.
haha, you said your G-string broke

sorry couldnt resist, call me a twat if you must (waits for hate mail)
Quote by Naptime
I'll pick up some more strings today, but how is this different than say a Les Paul headstock? The majority of the strings are angled once past the nut.

the nut is also cut correctly for that.
you dont want to restring to find you've got fret buzz on the first few frets because you've worn the cut in some odd way.

or cracked the wall separating the cuts and now the strings keep popping out of place.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I've had the strings on since last night. They seem fine and all, but the conglomeration of knowledge has spoke
Quote by jenguind
haha, you said your G-string broke

sorry couldnt resist, call me a twat if you must (waits for hate mail)

Hey you twat.................

Actually you made me laugh just when I really needed it. Cheers mate

Thrench