hey folks, I'm new up to here and calling you from germany.

I've got two ESP Eclipse guitars both set up with EMG Pickups and now it's time to replace one set with passive ones. It's not that I don't like the EMGs but I only need one setup for our music.

I need a thick, warm and differentiated tone for rythm playing. Style should be stadium rock like Alter Bridge and bands like these. The amp I use most of the time is an EVH 5150 MK III.

It's so difficult to choose the right pickups so I need help. The ones that I have in mind are the SH-5, SH-6 or PRS Tremonti Treble for bridge position and the SH-2 for neck position. But is there anything out there I should think about? I read something about the PRS Tremonti that sounded like the one I'm searching for, but is this correct or marketing? :-)

Thank you very much for your help.
I can't help you specifically, but I'm a fan of the Duncan stuff. I'd call their customer service line as they are very helpful. I realize that is a long distance call.

Welcome to UG and please post a pic/clip of your amp

well, as far as bridge pickups go, tremonti uses his own, and myles uses a duncan custom custom (sh-14?). they both use modern prs neck pickups i think.

if u want warm, i would go with custom custom. then either a prs modern, jazz, or 59 in the neck.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Thank you very much for your reply. The SH-11 is the custom custom one. I also checked the samples on www.seymourduncan.com and the SH-5, SH-6, SH-11 are the ones I would prefer. For neck position I like the jazz (SH-2) very much. The EVH has a nice Fender like clean sound and they should combine well.

Perhaps I'll try the SH-11 custom custom and if it won't fit, resell and buy the other ones until I'm happy :-)

I'll try to make some pictures of my little rack with the EVH. Sound samples are possible, but my studio equipment is in cases for a live show so it would take me some days to realize this.
I have a SH-11 (Trembucker version) in my Strat and like it lots. The thing that impressed me the most about Duncan was that originally I bought a JB on impulse from Guitar Center and then realized it was too bright for me. So I called Duncan and they offered a swap over the phone. So we talked through it and I settled on the Custom Custom. I paid the $5 difference over the phone, they shipped me the TB-11 in advance. I swapped the pups and then sent them the JB - and didn't have to deal with Guitar Center at all.

Great company if you ask me.

Not sure if they would do that based on where you live but it is worth calling ahead of time. I don't think they sell pups over the phone.

I'll be looking forward to your clips and pics
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Nov 18, 2009,
i always wondered if duncan did that swap thing if you buy new...good to know. i knew dimarzio did.

i really dont understand the big fuss about the jb. i didnt like it either...WAY too bright....and thats in my LP.

as far as the sh-6 goes, i wasnt a fan of that one either. it was pretty harsh and more of a metal pickup.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
i personly realy like the seymor duncan dimbucer pickups witch make a great sound but there aliot of money
Last edited by rippin666 at Nov 18, 2009,
Quote by rippin666
i personly realy like the seymor duncan dimbucer pickups witch make a great sound but there aliot of money

the dimebucker seems like it would be more suited to playing really heavy stuff rather then Alter Bridge...
If you want options outside Seymour Duncan, I'd take a look at Dimarzio. For the bridge, I'd take a look at the Breed, Super 3, Super Distortion, or a D Sonic. For the neck, I'd go for an Air Norton or a Breed Neck.

I use a Bugera 6260, which is a copy of the 5150. I can vouch for the Breed playing stadium rock.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
even the old school Dimarzio PAF Pros are a very nice and warm sound pickup great for bridge and neck positions. Jow Satriani used these pickups for along time till he and Dimarzio came up with the PAF Joe(a slightly lower power PAF pro)
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
Marshall JCM900 2100 SL-X
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA