Hi i wonder if anyone can help the correct thumb placement on the guitar neck, mainly while playing barre chords, i dont put my thumb right in the center which i have heard is correct i also use my thumb to sometimes push tot he next chord which leaves it off to one side a bit, although i get a decent clear sound i just dont want to develop baad technique and if there is a problem i would like to correct it now.

my major issue tthough is playing A shape barre chords lower down the neck from around c sharp and lower my thumb goes into a very awkward position and i have pain doing this, my thumb instead of pointing up as usual tends to run parralel to the guitar neck if that makes sense, i have sat and tried to do it other ways but it seems this is the only way i can get this barre chord shape, i find it hard to do and the sound isnt allways 100% clear.

Thanks for any tips in advance.
Hiya :~)
Well my advice is when your playing different notes your thumb will change position so try putting your thumb at a 300 degree angle \ < like that.

Then just try practicing easy songs and just keep your thumb in that position.

And on another note there is no wrong position for your thumb its just your own personal style.

Hope this helps and I think its what you meant.
Quote by zFamous
Hiya :~)
Well my advice is when your playing different notes your thumb will change position so try putting your thumb at a 300 degree angle \ < like that.

Then just try practicing easy songs and just keep your thumb in that position.

And on another note there is no wrong position for your thumb its just your own personal style.

Hope this helps and I think its what you meant.

Wrong. If your thumb placement isn't good it can lead to tendinitis as someone else who posted in this forum in the past couple of days found out.

TS: This is where your thumb should be:

It's a classical guitar neck and that's a small hand but her thumb is well placed.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Would you be able to hold that position while playing an A shape barre? i find it very difficult. ive have seen diagrams before on hand placement and i hardly ever if ever hold a guitar as pictured above this is probably very bad technique though, whenever i play open chords my hand is allways wrapped over the top the guitar just feels too lose if i dont. i would probably have a similar placed thumb when playing scales/modes though.
Quote by nonstopdanny
Would you be able to hold that position while playing an A shape barre? i find it very difficult. ive have seen diagrams before on hand placement and i hardly ever if ever hold a guitar as pictured above this is probably very bad technique though, whenever i play open chords my hand is allways wrapped over the top the guitar just feels too lose if i dont. i would probably have a similar placed thumb when playing scales/modes though.

I do wrap my thumb when I'm playing open chords but that's more of a muting the low E when I'm not using it thing. Having the thumb (at least for me anyways) placed as in the picture I posted help immensely when barring, I just can't do it if I wrap my thumb.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by nonstopdanny
That pic is about where my thumb naturally goes when I'm playing barre chords. Only difference with A shaped is my thumb turns a tad towards my headstock I don't think I could play them effectively with my thumb anywhere else - certainly not comfortably. My thumb normally wraps around for open chords too though