I'm studying a piece of music
it has three sharps, so I conclude it's in A Major (based on the chords)

the next measure has two natural signs and a flat, I don't know how to tell what key this is (it seems the A and E are natural and it's a Bb)

I can't figure out the key signature
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
Quote by TDKshorty
I'm studying a piece of music
it has three sharps, so I conclude it's in A Major (based on the chords)

the next measure has two natural signs and a flat, I don't know how to tell what key this is (it seems the A and E are natural and it's a Bb)

I can't figure out the key signature
If the key sig has 3 sharps I don't know why they'd put natural signs by an A and an E unless they are cancelling out accidentals earlier in the bar...
there are some A sharps in the bar, but I can't find any E sharps...

I'm assuming the staff was written non-traditionally. Indicating there are natural A's and sharp As as well, but using the sharp in the staff as opposed in the key sig
Is it in something like GP or powertab where you could set the key sig to C, so you can see all the sharps/flats as accidentals? Might make it easier....
Quote by jenguind
a Bb means its in F major or D minor, simple as

Not quite as simple as that.

The key signature has 3 sharps, so it's A major. If you have a natural sign with A and E that means they have been made sharp somewhere previously. Bb is also an accidental.

That is what I'd assume from what you've written but:

Quote by deHufter
Nothing says more than a picture.
there are some A sharps in the bar, but I can't find any E sharps...

I'm assuming the staff was written non-traditionally. Indicating there are natural A's and sharp As as well, but using the sharp in the staff as opposed in the key sig

I'm assuming it's in D minor

The files is in PDF, I don't know how to put it on here, lol

but the song is Anne by John Frusciante
and the part I'm talking about is the first time the key changes after the first two bars where it goes from A E F#m F#m D D
Last edited by TDKshorty at Nov 17, 2009,
If i check the guitarpro file it seems like he's modulating from A major to D minor

First part A major: A E F#m D

Second part D minor: Dm Gm F A

Now the Bb makes sense, the 6th in the D minor scale. Only the C#, F# and G# should be made natural, but what i get from your story that's not the case.