For reference, my current guitar rig is in my signature.

I'm pretty much content with my guitars and my tone right now, so the next step I had on my list was to invest in a recording setup. I was thinking I might get a mic (or possibly two for some more dimension in my sound), stands for the mics, and some sort of interface. I am recording with a Mac Book (OS X) with either Firewire or USB. Software-wise, I will be sticking with Audacity for now. I don't need any fancy effects or anything, just a basic setup that will get the tones into my computer.

I play mostly metal but I do dabble with clean riffs every so often, so I need a mic that can handle both. As I said before, I might consider getting two mics, so if you could suggest a single mic OR two that complement each other well, that'd be appreciated. Budget-wise, I'm looking to spend $300-400, and I am willing to go used.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Microphone: Shure sm57 - if its good enough on its own for Andy Sneap then its good enough for anybody.

Interface - well in the range of about 200-300 dollah second hand you can get a Presonus Firepod with 8 channels (they're about 400 new), also its got enough welly for reamping since you already have some really nice gear - and you could mic up a whole drumset if you ever felt the need to in the future.
What sort of cables would I need to use for that Firepod? I found one used locally and the inputs on the front don't look familiar. I've been hearing all sorts of things about XLR inputs for mics and I'm not sure if that's what they are. Sorry, I'm not very familiar with recording terminology, haha.
Axe-FX Standard
Just your standard jack to jack.

The Firepod has multipurpose xlr and jack inputs on the front - ie you can use either - you'd just plug the jack in the jack sized hole in the middle.

XLR's are mostly used for microphones (they're the ones with three pins), sorry I didn't realise how new you were to this recording malarky - I just assumed because you have a decent budget, bare in mind its a firewire interface too, not a usb one.
Yeah I only ask because I've also found an SM57 locally, being sold with a stand and a XLR cable. As long as that'll work, I'll go for both. The Firepod I found is going for $250 and the SM57 + cable + stand are $60 so that fits nicely within my budget.
Axe-FX Standard
hey beefmo i was wondering if i could use firepod with a windows based computer, and would it be worth it if i had to get a PCI card in order to plug in the firewire?
My computer doesnt have firewire

or should i just get another usb (i have shitty toneport gx 1-input) lol
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin
you can't use a guitar to replace your lack of charm or social skills.

Worked for Malmsteen.
Quote by Josher.K
hey beefmo i was wondering if i could use firepod with a windows based computer, and would it be worth it if i had to get a PCI card in order to plug in the firewire?
My computer doesnt have firewire

or should i just get another usb (i have shitty toneport gx 1-input) lol

Hey, yeah you'll just want to use a PCI firewire card, I'd recommend one with a Texas Instruments (TI) Chip - they are generally considered to be the most reliable and compatible with all pro audio interfaces.

And yup, a firepod will work with windows.