Alright guys, i've got a ZenTera, and i want to get the sound from the amp directly into my pc. Not with mics and stuff, cause it most of the has a huge loss in quality.

Is there a good way to do this? I've got 2 recording outs in the back of the amp(Left and Right Analog), how do i put these together? after i've put them together, can i put it in the Line In on the pc and get a good sound if i record it with audacity?

Thanks in advance!

-Nexuso
you are going to need some sort of hardware, something like a presonus inspire firewire unit would work.
Cream fan club member #11.
Quote by nexuso
can i put it in the Line In on the pc and get a good sound if i record it with audacity?

No. Never. Not in a million years.

You NEED an interface to get good sound, anything else is just going to tide you over with shit in the meantime.

Interesting that your amp has a stereo out - you only need a mono for a guitar signal, you could probably just use take a basic guitar cable from the left channel into an interface and bring up the level and you'd be fine.
How much do you think a decent enough interface will cost?
So wire it with a dual cable together, then wire it into a interface, and from the interface in the computer and i'll be good to go?
A good interface is gonna set you back in about the 100 dollar range, less if you buy second hand.

And no, you could probably just take the left hand side with one cable into an interface and not use any cables on the right, that's what I'm saying, guitars don't need stereo signal.
Quote by nexuso
Alright guys, i've got a ZenTera, and i want to get the sound from the amp directly into my pc. Not with mics and stuff, cause it most of the has a huge loss in quality.

Is there a good way to do this? I've got 2 recording outs in the back of the amp(Left and Right Analog), how do i put these together? after i've put them together, can i put it in the Line In on the pc and get a good sound if i record it with audacity?

Yes.

All you need is a "stereo-mono splitter cable", with:
- 2 mono 1/4" jacks on one side (plugged in the amps' recording outs),
- 1 stereo 1/8" jack on the other side (plugged in the PC "line in")

Don't forget to turn all volume and gain knobs down to 0 before plugging anything in, and fire up the "LEVEL IN" window of the recording software before turning anything up.
Line In is gonna sound like shit. Really; using a mic doesn't degrade quality. Using shitty components does.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Quote by Kevy Absolution
Line In is gonna sound like shit.

And why so ?

Really; using a mic doesn't degrade quality.

You DO lose frequencies when micing.

Using shitty components does.

What component in his chain is shitty ?

The Zentera is an amp modelling and amp simulating design. If the engineers included "recording outs" in the design, it is FOR THE PURPOSE of recording in a line in.
Quote by wes_jett2008
Is it possible for you to make a decent post?

That's not the person in this thread you should be asking that.
So ColdGin, you're saying i'd get a fairly decent sound with just using my line-in instead of a interface? I was also thinking of a splitter indeed, that put the 2 together and then plug it in the line-in. Btw how do you turn up the Level In? I'm using Audacity btw.
Quote by nexuso
Btw how do you turn up the Level In? I'm using Audacity btw.

- Everything turned off, plug the rec outs of your amp to the PC line in.
- Turn amp on
- Turn PC on and boot
- Fire up Audacity
- bring up the Meter toolbar...

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/onlinehelp-1.2/toolbar_meter.htm

With a preamp volume on 3 or 4, start picking and slowly turn the amps volume knob until you see the right meter bars pulsing.

In any case, don't push the volume knob past 3.
If nothing happens, check your cables and the connections.
Last edited by ColdGin at Nov 18, 2009,