Page 1 of 3
lately I've been finding time to go back and play some of my old videogames again. Since I have been played a lot of Modern Warfare 2 lately, seeing how the guns are realistic, I've been paying more attention to how impractical and impossible that the weapons in these other games can be. I always knew before, I just started paying more attention recently.

Are these weapons cool, hell yes, but how they would logically work is beyond me.

So what weapons in videogames do you know of that can either never EVER work in real life, or are just plain ridiculous, and why is it that way.

Some weapons that I noticed in this category

Gunblade (Final Fantasy 8)

I've seen a lot of impractical weapons, but this one takes the cake. First off, holding it from a handle like that would never give you good control of either the gun or the sword, and swinging it would put awkward pressure on your wrists. Furthermore, the gun portion seems unbalanced, you would get a lot of recoil from firing it.

Nero's gun: Blue Rose (Devil May Cry)

a double barreled revolver would never work for two reasons.
1.) it would only have three shots, if a six shooter, yet he can fire it in the game with seemingly infinite shots while never reloading
2.) guns aren't made that way, I don't get how the mechanics of such a gun would work.

Chainsaw gun (Gears of War)

firstly, real chainsaws are heavy, and not only that but they would not really work well if the target in question is thrashing around, which is what most people would do. Secondly, I'm surprised that neither the gun itself no the chainsaw never gets jammed with guts every time its used. A good chainsaw would probably only be good once maybe twice after cutting through flesh. The gun jams in the game I know, but why don't the blood and guns affect that somehow.

tldr;
So yeah, any other weapons that are cool in games but come into question as to how they would work or how practical they are.
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536
RazorTheAwesome, if I was a Ditto, I'd transform into YOU

Quote by Kensai
Basically god wanted to punish people for getting educated/eating apples.

Quote by Jackal58
We all desire a little pussy.
Last edited by RazorTheAwesome at Nov 17, 2009,
Fantasy and reality my friend. They're different.

Do they have really unrealistic weapons in MW2? In the first one all the weapons were real. Although you could fire a 50 cal multiple times while running...that might not have been the most realistic, haha.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
The hookshot from zelda.

How the **** would that work?

Also, I'm pretty sure all the weapons in MW and MW2 are all either real weapons or based off of real weapons.
ITT: Video games.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Lightsaber anyone?
Yours sincerely,

bobwentpop, UG's favourite spontaneous combustion victim.
Quote by Doctor Matthews

They're just games, dude.

that is the point, the fact that they are games make them work in the fantasy world, but how would they work if applied to real life.

also light arrows are magic so it doesn't really count.

edit:
lol at Fable guy

but yeah no magic, just weapons
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by Kensai

Quote by Jackal58
walking around with stationary turrets in halo, yeah goodluck with that one
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
The magic wand from Harry Potter

Really dude they're games. Are you one of those people that watch the Simpsons and go "It is highly illogical that a man's skin could be yellow"?

Damn just read your other post. I have no idea I only play video game like 3 times a month...
Last edited by i_killed_bill at Nov 17, 2009,
Quote by JimmyBanks6
walking around with stationary turrets in halo, yeah goodluck with that one

Watch Full Metal Jacket.
You'd have to be one bamf but it's (while very unlikely) possible.
Quote by drdoom8793
The hookshot from zelda.

How the **** would that work?

Also, I'm pretty sure all the weapons in MW and MW2 are all either real weapons or based off of real weapons.

That's easy: the combustion of Hydrogen molecules and CO2 sets off a small spark within the internal chamber of the barrel of the hookshot, setting off the chained projectile to reach speeds of 300mph into a fortified area causing the hook itself to latch into the wall.
Quote by i_killed_bill
The magic wand from Harry Potter

Really dude they're games. Are you one of those people that watch the Simpsons and go "It is highly illogical that a man's skin could be yellow"?

no thats just a cartoon, and a mans skin can turn yellow if they eat to many carrots

its true look it up

plus this is supposed to be all in good fun

edit:
^^^
how would all that fit into something that small.
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by Kensai

Quote by Jackal58
Earthworm Jim does not agree with your BS.

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
that is the point, the fact that they are games make them work in the fantasy world, but how would they work if applied to real life.

That's like saying "Ah fuck, what would we do if Pikachus were real? Renewable energy source?"

These weapons are in games for a reason, because anything can happen in videos games (so to speak). This discussion goes as far as "these fantasy weapons wouldn't and most likely couldn't work in real life."
Not that I'm trying to wreck our fun, there's just not much to discuss about it.
MATTERHORN
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Fantasy and reality my friend. They're different.

Do they have really unrealistic weapons in MW2? In the first one all the weapons were real. Although you could fire a 50 cal multiple times while running...that might not have been the most realistic, haha.

depending on the gun and the individual firing it that can be very much possible.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
The energy sword: Halo.

It's not very cost effective, i mean metal is just as good as energy at stabbing people(I assume).

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Quote by Doctor Matthews
That's like saying "Ah fuck, what would we do if Pikachus were real? Renewable energy source?"

These weapons are in games for a reason, because anything can happen in videos games (so to speak). This discussion goes as far as "these fantasy weapons wouldn't and most likely couldn't work in real life."
Not that I'm trying to wreck our fun, there's just not much to discuss about it.

If people used Pokemon as an energy source, we would have more PETA ads on TV. And hopefully more nude photo shoots.
The people in gears of war are ridiculously muscular haha so i think the have no problem chucking those guns around :P
Dreams Are For Pussies.
Quote by Doctor Matthews

I KNOW ALL OF THAT

I just thought there would be some fun in discussing this

and to clear up the MW2 point, yes the guns are realistic and since I have been playing that I've been noticing how unrealistic other guns are.

plus the actual military trains recruits to handle those types of situations. So the average soldier in question could probably do that.

edit:
PETA does nude photo shoots?

*heads right for google

edit2:
nevermind those people are nuts
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by Kensai

Quote by Jackal58
Apart from those listed;

Also; this.

Don't know; maybe it's in the Jack Black game; but I honestly have no clue.

It's fantasy.
I'd use a gun sword if it were real.
one other thing I found, and this time the weapon itself isn't the problem

she has guns on her FEET. How the hell does that work? How does she pull the triggers?
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by Kensai

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
one other thing I found, and this time the weapon itself isn't the problem

she has guns on her FEET. How the hell does that work? How does she pull the triggers?

Are you sure she doesn't just holster them there?
I've not yet had a chance to play MW2, but if the weapons are anything like it's predecessor, they're not entirely accurate. I'd really like to have realistic ballistics and select-fire.
#48 of the Fender Armada
#2 Omar Alfredo Rodriguez-Lopez fan club

Gibson SG Standard
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Fender Mustang
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by RazorTheAwesome

Maybe its supposed to be like an ankle holster idea or something.
MATTERHORN
Quote by metaldud536
Are you sure she doesn't just holster them there?

no she can actually shoot them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsAJ0EaTi4E
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by Kensai

Quote by Jackal58
I saw something like this thread on cracked.com >.>

I agree that the gravity gun would just grab random stuff and be a bit crap
you still have zoiiidbeeeerg
(V) (;,,;) (V)
YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG
Quote by TheBurningFish
It's more shocking to see Tom dressed at all.
Quote by suckersdream
I don't think I've ever actually seen him clothed.
Sexy Peoples Only
◕ ‿ ◕
TweetZ
I'm quite prepared to suspend my disbelief pretty much permanently if my character gets to wield something I deem to be cool
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.

Why does it matter? The game kicks balls, not to mention the unspeakable things I would to to that collection of pixels.
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Quote by Fiddelers elbow
Why does it matter? The game kicks balls, not to mention the unspeakable things I would to to that collection of pixels.

I don't know about you, but I would not feel comfortable doing a girl who I know could kill me in less than a second. Unless I KNOW for a FACT that she won't kill me.

also the BFG is ****ing awesome you are right
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by Kensai

Quote by Jackal58
this thread has gone from the impracticality of weapons to awesome weapons in video games
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
I don't know about you, but I would not feel comfortable doing a girl who I know could kill me in less than a second. Unless I KNOW for a FACT that she won't kill me.

also the BFG is ****ing awesome you are right

Thats the fun of it. Its like russian roulete with your dick.
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Surely Nightmare and Astaroth's weapons from the Soul Calibur series deserve a mention? Those things are people sized!

EDIT: Also, WTF is up with Siegfried's sword?

Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Last edited by metacarpi at Nov 17, 2009,
Quote by Ichikurosaki
IF designed right, a gunsword would be perfectly plausable.

Perfely plausable as a method of increasing the onset of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in swordsmen.

The "Gun" function of the gunblade is to send vibrations through the blade, which would be fantastic for ****ing up the users wrists.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Page 1 of 3