Hi Pit,

i understand i need a job to get strings and to well..eat.
But which should i take seriosly. Being in a band is what i love to do i love making music. Or should i spend my time going to college and follow a normal career

Opinions ideas?
Recomendations?
Dear god please give me a website i can cite
SlappyMcGee don't you fail.
Go to college. You will not make a living in a band.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Ummmm...

We can't give you a website if it's our opinions...

And yeah, you can do both
Last edited by i_killed_bill at Nov 17, 2009,
Quote by metaldud536
Can't you do both?

This. You might not have as much time for music but you need the money.
I'd go for a job first. You can't live out on the streets like a hobo, TS.
Or maybe you can.
Jobs come and go. If you love something, you'll be miserable without it. Don't quit your job or anything, but if it comes to moving ahead in a company or being happy, I'd gladly stick to the mail room.
Current Gear:
Michael Kelly Club Custom 5 Acoustic Bass
Dean Performer Series PE-QM-TGE
Varrios Basic 5 Bass
Acoustic B450 Combo Amp
I support the 2nd Amendment. I don't support people who abuse it.
Quote by Coins
Just kill yourself

Thats The Spirit!

Go for the job,is the band gonna pay you're bills Etc.?
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
Quote by metaldud536
Can't you do both?

R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I've asked myself the same question, but I really think it's either one or the other. If you want to play music professionally, and tour all the time and really try to make it then you need to do everything you possibly can to do that. If you fail you're right where you left of just a little older, and maybe you'll have a lot of fun and experience a lot of things while you try to follow a dream. There's nothing wrong with that, and there is a career in music, don't listen to anyone's negativity.
by choosing not to go to college, you're limiting your own potential. you can pursuit a career in music WHILE going to college, and indeed a more fruitful one because you'll be equipped with a greater degree of world knowledge enabling more profound artistry. or, believe it or not, you could even find something that excites you MORE than music in college.

alternatively, you could stay home from school and tour with your band or whatever using only the experiences you've had up to this point, which would be a poor foundation to start with and, consequently, produce shittier tunes.

right now is your time to cultivate ideas and perspectives which you can use to refine a vantage point of your own and THEN express it through music. don't jump the gun, there is no hurry. the quality of your art, i can assure you, will be compromised if you decide to rush into things. don't let the opportunity pass; the value of education cannot be overstated.
Last edited by Arthur Curry at Nov 17, 2009,
Quote by dillonjh41
I've asked myself the same question, but I really think it's either one or the other. If you want to play music professionally, and tour all the time and really try to make it then you need to do everything you possibly can to do that. If you fail you're right where you left of just a little older, and maybe you'll have a lot of fun and experience a lot of things while you try to follow a dream. There's nothing wrong with that, and there is a career in music, don't listen to anyone's negativity.

Yeah sure there's a career but it's tiny and you will NEVER earn much. You can quite easily do both.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by dillonjh41

If you're not studying at an Ivy league school or doing an intensive degree, then you can do both. I have so much time after college to write music but no recording gear. And if you don't live in a dorm, then you have even more time to yourself or band mates.
JOB!!!!

Go to college and get a degree. Then get a job and work on your music. At least you have something to fall back on if the music career doesn't work out (which the odds are against).
Hit the books. Both school and music...study theory until your eyes bleed. Besides, you never know who you'll meet there. I love music, but I also know it never hurts to learn. Plus you won't be in school 24 hours a day, you'll have time for a band or whatever.
Quote by Coins
Just kill yourself

suicide always the best solution

but college, focus mainly on that

Only take your band more seriously if it can pay your bills.
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
Why don´t you do a degree in music AND have a band?

Oh yes, that´s why.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
I'm doing all of those man. College, multiple bands, and work. It's tough, but you could do it if you stayed on track. But I'll tell you, put college first. Then work. Then the band. No other order.