Hey,

When I write I like to add numerous layers of meaning to the words I include and provide varying interpretations of what I'd like to say, that kinda thing.

I'm writing about being torn between two friends; being faced with an ultimatum and having to choose between two people that mean a lot to you. What kind of metaphor could I use for this? I'm thinking along the lines of 'being torn between a saint and a martyr", but that's the best I've got.

Anybody else got any suggestions? Any ways of expressing this idea differently? All thoughts are welcome.

Thanks
perhaps you could extend the metaphor, make it a choice between two inanimate but opposite things like the land or the sea... dusnt have to be as lame as that particular one but with something like that you could extend the theme throughout the song by using different aspects of the metaphor etc..
"In loyalty I've betrayed"

or

"Standing side by side but aside"

or

"Lost in finding stance"

or anything like that...

something that both asserts and contradicts a statement, kind of like a damned if you do and damned if you don't thing...

Hope something in there helps.
Well it's always good to have a unified image when you use metaphors too. So if you want to follow up with what you have, maybe pursuing images based on religious terms/items, even if you do it sacrilegiously. It makes for a unified piece.

But usually when I come up with metaphors its because I have a predetermined mood/image I want to convey, then its easy to come with lists of words and images that can relate to that. Thats what works for me
Agreed with hildesaw. You wouldn't want something as generic as a random person could come up with about two of your friends. If anything, give us a little context of why you are having to choose. For instance, is one friend dating a transsexual while the other is a devout Christian? You could always go with a cliche drug reference where the crazy friend is like the drugs and the other person is dependable ol sobriety.
Quote by jfreyvogel
"In loyalty I've betrayed"

...damned if you do and damned if you don't thing...

This might be a perfect example of a catch 22 here, maybe worth elaborating on this concept. The literal phrase, "damned if you do and damned if you don't" that jfreyvogel mentioned also ties into your original concept of saints and martyrs (ie. righteousness and damnation, or something along those lines).

Have to agree with hildesaw and someblue kind as well though...a unified metaphor that's relevant to your particular situation is stronger both for you personally and for others interpreting your work. There's some pretty strong connotations associated with matyrdom...you sure that's the feeling you were going for?
Last edited by NShore at Nov 17, 2009,
Thanks for your input guys, some of your contributions have been great.

If you'd like a little context to aid you, I'm basing the song around the situation between me and my two best friends; about two years ago one moved away to a different country. Naturally, over the next couple of years me and the other friend got much closer. But the distant friend returned permenantly this summer and it's created a rift between the three of us. Whenever I hang out with one, the other gets p*ssed off. It's like I can't win, and neither can appreciate the situation they've left me in.

Anyways, enough ranting, I was just wondering if by providing a little insight, it would help to produce something more specific - like SomeBlueKind suggested.

Again, thanks very much for your help so far everbody.

P.S. The "Saints and Martyrs" thing was just an idea that came into my head. It meant nothing specific in terms of religious imagery.
Last edited by Deltast0rm at Nov 17, 2009,
What about mirror images (the two friends mirror something within you)? Polar opposites? Or life has moved on, we are still friends, but we are not where we were when you left... or something along those lines. Rediscovering what made you three into friends to begin with? Or maybe, you might think of things of three, such as clover leafs (or poison oak, as the case may be), triptychs, trilogies, triangles, and build on the concept of three then refine it to be more about you three. Lots of religious/spiritual references there, as per hildesaw.