OK, so i'm getting a Dual Rectifier and haven't as of yet got any idea what cab to get to go with it. The highest i could stretch to is about £600 for a cab, and it needs to be a 2x12 thanks to my tiny room (. i dont know much about cabs and the differences so any info and suggestions is very welcome. thanx
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
the rectifier traditional 212 or 412 are good
oversize gets a bit boomy (especially with that amp )
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
boogies have a bit of a rep of not sounding that great turned down. I didn't really notice it myself, but it be worth bearing in mind if you're only playing in your room. Lots of people make nice high gainers, and some will likely sound better than the mesa at home volumes. If you try as many as you can and still prefer the mesa, then go with the mesa.

what kind of tones are you after? you should be able to get most 2x12s with £600, so you're going to have a lot of choice.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thanks for the help so far guys.
genre wise i'm playing mostly high gain heavy metal and rock, and a lot of shredding. but i play other more "quiet" bluesy rock stuff as well but the high gain stuff is more important.
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
cool, thanks.

for the amp, as well as the recto, check the stiletto, and also engls, brunettis, soldanos, cornfords, koch, framus, laneys, vht, bogner, diezel, etc. etc. etc. you probably won't be able to find them all, but try to find as many as you can.

for the cab, as i said, you have a lot of options. Try all those brands' cabs (if you can), it would also be worth considering something custom-made. Martamp/MJW cabs have a great rep, but i haven't tried them. They also make custom amps, but I don't think they're really aimed at the high gain thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well i've kinda decided on the amp. i know that some people have a bit of a dim view on the rectos but i really really liked it when i played it so nothing is gonna change in that department.

would the standard recto 2x12 be the best option?? its a tad pricey but wouldn't it be best voiced for the recto head?? (sorry if this is a bit of a n00b question, i am a bit when it come to amps)
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
if the mesa traditional 212 is overpriced, then you might want to look at a similar eurpean brand

though i can vouch for the mesa traditional cabs, they are really good
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
well its only a bit over my budget so i'm sure i could get, would it be the best though??

also what would be something similar to Mesa in Europe??
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
Well you have a lot of options, i personally would get a mills acoustic 2x12, really the best 2x12 on the market imo. There are a lot of companies that also specialize in cheaper good cabs, like avatar, lopoline and vader. But also look around for soldano cabs or bogner cabs, really any high-end amp company will make awesome cabinets as well.... INCLUDING MESA dont let anyone tell you otherwise. I have a mesa recto 2x12 stock and it is a bitchin cab.
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

mesa definitely makes top of the line cabs. some peeps i have seen try to talk sh*t on them
dont listen
and im not too hip on the european cabs, sorry
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
no worries, this has been great. i think its gonna have to be that recto cab thanks for the help guys!!!
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
well, it will look sexy with a recto
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
yeah, there is that factor as well
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
I play a Dual Rec Roadster thru a 212 recto cab...sounds amazing! Mesa cabs are made really well and are very tight and punchy sounding. You can get one used on ebay for around $400 US go for it man and good luck!
If I had a Mesa I would get a Mesa cab. They are really good but a lil overhyped on this forum.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
Quote by shredftw
well i've kinda decided on the amp. i know that some people have a bit of a dim view on the rectos but i really really liked it when i played it so nothing is gonna change in that department.

would the standard recto 2x12 be the best option?? its a tad pricey but wouldn't it be best voiced for the recto head?? (sorry if this is a bit of a n00b question, i am a bit when it come to amps)

have you tried the other ones i mentioned? as i said, if you try them all and still like the recto best, at least you know for sure it's the one you want. If you try them all and DON'T like the recto best, well then you haven't wasted two grand. Either way, it's win-win, assuming you have some decent shops close to you, and you don't waste half your budget getting to the shops.

hard to say on the cab. I haven't tried the recto 2x12 cab, but the oversized 4x12s have the rep of being a bit dark, i think. good if that's what you want, not so good if it's not. Like anything, it just depends on what you're after. they have the rep of being good cabs, but like anything, they're only good if they suit what you play.

i'm not talking shit on mesa. Mesa stuff is pretty good. But there's no denying it's horribly expensive in europe, compared to what it goes for in the states (check www.musiciansfriend.com and then do the conversion on www.xe.com if you don't believe me).
At the end of the day if you like the mesa best, it's still going to be worth it, but if you just want a good-sounding high gainer, and aren't that particular about its voicing, there are better-value options, if you ask me.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 17, 2009,
there is definitely better value. i just am not too keen on the european pricing.
and i dont think the mesa cabs are overhyped, there is strange hate on them all the time
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION