Ok, here's what gets me. I go into a local store (a Center that sells Guitars) and they have a vocal effects pedal on display that catches my eye. Along with its wall of features, it also features 'pitch correction'. So I'm thinking "Yeah. We know that much of what we hear in the studio is doctored, but doctoring live performance?" So I guess my question is, How much is too much? Where do we draw the line?

I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes to ask such a question. I know I own a Line6/Bogner amp that relies on digital technology to create tones that ordinarily would not all be available on one amplifier. So maybe that sets me up for criticism as well (though I am actually playing what is coming out of the amp). But I think back to the Milli Vanilli days, when they got busted for lip-syncing, and I wonder, is a lot of our modern technology any different?

I would welcome any feedback. Preferably kind feedback (you don't have to agree with me, but just behave like a human being if you respond, okay?). And the question I'm returning to ask is "with all the technical doodads available, where do we draw the line?" Kind of takes the fun out of going to concerts, if that is the norm. Or perhaps maybe the micro-processors need to get paid as much as some 'performers' out there. (Insert the sound of me bashing many radio artists.) Just saying. Now I'm off my soap box.... and that's all I have, for now....

- Joe
There are a few bands that use things like that: checks the note coming in and corrects it relative to the scale etc. I've only ever heard of it used by girl bands though, who are likely to make mistakes because they spend far too much time doing the retarded dancing than actualy singing their own music.

But I agree, it's absurd. Why not make a machine that pumps out whole songs for you aswell? That way you don't have to think aswell as not having to perform.

Note; a modelling amp is completely different. It doesn't make you sound better, it just models lots of different sounds. You still play the damn thing as you said lol
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
I think many artists today in pop culture abuse auto-tuners and pitch correctors to an abnormal degree. If they use it for creative purposes I can understand, but many seem to depend only on the repetitive formula "how to write a hit song" relying on nothing but popular effects in the process (e.g auto-tuner you can hear in T-Pain's songs, etc.).

Yes, it annoys me
So I'm not some cranky prude. Good to hear. I mean, I am up for utilizing technology, but not using it to compensate for talent, ya know? I hear about so many pop artists already relying on auto-tune and pitch correction to make them what they are in live situations. (And people wonder why I detest radio so much. And so many pop artists.) The future is looking bleek as far as actual artists with talent. Expect an influx of people devoid of talent squashing out hard working talented artists who are already having a hard time in today's market. Sad.
I dont really think the technology itself really matters as much as who uses it and why it is being used. If it is used in the way you described, then that is definitely not good. However, every piece of technology has the potential to be used in a creative way that goes beyond its original purpose, which can ultimately turn it into a positive.
Quote by onevoiceinc
I mean, I am up for utilizing technology, but not using it to compensate for talent, ya know?

I agree. Utilize it, but don't let the ciruitry be the talent. The beauty of music is that it is a language shared between humans. When machines can think and express emotion, I will be ready to hear what kind of music they would like to share. Until then...