Is it ethical to share music that you have legally purchased with others that may or may not (and you will not know) have legally purchased that music?

That is the topic for a debate my class is going to have. Since it is related to music I thought you guys might be interested in it. I don't believe it is ethical. Not saying I haven't ever done it, but I don't think it's fair to give away music that should be purchased somehow to people who haven't bought it. What do you guys think?
Well, IMO it'd just be like lending someone a CD to listen to, and maybe take the music from. So I have no problem with that.
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
It's not ethical or legal. I'm actually taking a class where i have to post an ethics question every week, and that one has come up before. There should be a musical ethics thread somewhere to discuss ethics, that would be really fun.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
No only GODDAMN commies share stuff ):<
I just need about $3.50
(<X.X)O=('.'Q)

I'm the motherflippin'
Well it's rather stupid to tell your best friend "listen mate i can't lend you this cd because I belief it violates the rights of the artists" or something of a similar fashion. I belief you you can share music, if you keep it limited.
I realize that a lot of people do it, including myself sometimes, but that doesn't make it ethical. So "I have no problem with it because I do it," doesn't really answer the question.
Its as legal and ethical as downloading music from the internet.

So, its not legal, an is deemed to be unethical.

Its just kinda hard to police friends that share cd's, compared to monitoring internet downloads.
Quote by CrackAddict2000
No only GODDAMN commies share stuff ):<

wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
I don't think it's unethical. It's just music, and music is meant to be shared.
i say its fine as long as your not copying it and selling it to your friends for a profit
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
Quote by Chromex

+1 This will open up your friends mind to other tastes which can only be good
DO IT LIVE
Quote by Chromex

Try telling that to the unsigned bands who spent thousands of their money to record the first EPs and albums trying to get off the ground, whilst working to keep their heads above water.

Dont get me wrong, i download music all the time, but i know i shouldn't. It really annoys me the way that some people seem to think that they have this god given right to not pay for music.
You realize that this is exactly the essence of piracy and mass file-sharing right? People don't seem to realize that the music they download doesn't just come from some magical place on the internet, it comes from everybody. That's why they can't shut it down. This could quickly turn into a piracy debate, so if you mean just sharing among friends that you know you should specify that. And yes, if it is just among friends I would definately say that's ethical. Piracy on the other hand...
Quote by jimmy_neutron
Try telling that to the unsigned bands who spent thousands of their money to record the first EPs and albums trying to get off the ground, whilst working to keep their heads above water.

If I made an album I wouldn't care if people payed for it or not, as long as they listened to it. Making and album costs money, but that doesn't mean that you have the right to get the money back. You shouldn't spend money you're not willing to lose.
I guess it depends on your view point. I would say follow the thinking any time there is a right or wrong "if'y" area by asking the question, "If everyone in the entire world did this (ie. what I'm doing now), what would the outcome be?" In the case of lending music (which we all are probably somewhat guilty of), you have to ask yourself if everyone just lended music to their friends, how would that affect industry artists (and in my case, unsigned artists)? There is another more popular (and more immature) method of questioning that involves more of a "what's in it for me? Who gives a crap, cause they are just a bunch of corporate freaks" method, but like I say, that is very immature thinking, to be honest. And it is very self-serving. And it is how most people will probably respond. Sad, but true. This ain't a perfect world, obviously. Another question is do you want to be a part of what's wrong with the world or what's right with the world?

But if you are getting down to true right and wrong, you have to ask how this affects the artists that created the music... and going further, how this would even affect you if you had something that you created and someone else did the same to you. If music is merely a hobby for you in your room, then maybe it's not so bad. But if you are a musician by trade or have a desire to carry it somewhere (in my case, I pay my car payment and sometimes even my child support payments with it, not to mention sometimes it actually puts food on my table), this may not be something you'd want other people doing. And the question would return, then why do I do it? I will probably be jumped all over for posting this, but I'm just trying to contribute some higher thinking here. Food for thought.
I somewhat agree with Chromex. But yet not. Respectfully.

"IF I made an album I wouldn't care if people payed for it or not, as long as they listened to it. Making and album costs money, but that doesn't mean that you have the right to get the money back. You shouldn't spend money you're not willing to lose."

All artists should hopefully be making music (first) for the idea of sharing their music with others. So we see eye to eye on that. I also agree we don't have the 'right to get the money we invest back'. (Nothing is owed to us in life.) The same as a listener not having the right to distribute it to those who did not purchase it. "You shouldn't spend money you're not willing to lose." Very wise words, but at the same time, you invest the money in hopes that some will be returned to you for your efforts. After all, if the listener cares that little for the writer of the music, why is he listening to the writer's music in the first place?

I specifically chose a smarter option of recording the bulk of my first CD, and there-by saved a ton of money. (The one I'm working on now will be even cheaper to create. I'm learning.) Then I took it to a studio to put the finishing touches on it. We sacrificed BIG TIME to even be able to afford the $3,ooo that those little finishing touches costed. A lot of turnoil came out of it. Playing cover band gigs (which I hate with a passion!!) in roudy hole in the walls (and fighting to get paid by the club owners who live to stiff bands out of money) and even sacrificing savings to get it out there. Being broke a lot was a way of life for a time. It was for the purpose of sharing, but sharing is a two way street. Sharing doesn't involve one person giving and the other just taking. That is seflish thinking. Sharing involves one person giving something and the other giving something back. Once again, trying to interject some higher thinking here. And hopefully I'm off my soapbox.

(And by the way, I am not a fan of Lar$ UlRICH's complaints years ago about Napster, and at the same time, I elevated myself enough to see both sides of the argument. I'm not a music Nazi on either side of that argument.)
I tend to burn a lot of CD's for people, it's what I'm known for. I'm the guy that if you really want to find new music, you come and ask me for something new and I always end up burning a few CD's for whoever. Is it ethical? Eh, in some ways it is, in some ways it isn't. I mean if I was giving someone an artist's discography then I'd say it's unethical because you really can't support the band otherwise, but if I give you one CD, then there's a chance that you'll like them and go out and get their other recordings.

I'm not saying what I do is 100% in the right, but I like to give people new music and hope that they'll find something they'll like.
Quote by jimmy_neutron

Dont get me wrong, i download music all the time, but i know i shouldn't. It really annoys me the way that some people seem to think that they have this god given right to not pay for music.

Are you an idiot?

Unsigned bands make more money from people downloading their music and sharing it with their friends and thus getting a lot of publicity, rather than selling 50 CDs.

On topic:

It is illegal, thus it is unethical on a legal view. But from a musicians view, it's ethical as as someone stated above, music is meant to be shared.
It's completely unethical to share your music with others.
They shouldn't be able to hear it at all, unless they pay.

Charge your friends a listening fee when they're within earshot of any music you have playing through speakers and send the proceeds to the record company.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I think it's fine as long as you support the artists by going to their concerts.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Sharing you music is sort of illegal. Filesharing is and thats sharing music.
Although i think sharing music isn't a bad thing
[img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Lookatthis97787.jpg[/img]
On a large scale, it's unethical, but on a smaller scale it could actually beneficial for the artists as you may be turning others into fans of the artist and therefore increasing the market of the artist.
Personally I believe it's more unethical for large, multi-million dollar corporations to sue single mothers for disproportionate sums of money because they downloaded about two albums of music -- rather than just asking her to pay back the amount the music was worth.
Quote by Pagan-Pie
Personally I believe it's more unethical for large, multi-million dollar corporations to sue single mothers for disproportionate sums of money because they downloaded about two albums of music -- rather than just asking her to pay back the amount the music was worth.

This. I also believe its unethical for those same multi-million dollar corporations to hold a government granted monopoly over the use of those two albums worth of music on a flimsy philosophical pretext at the expense of the tangible property rights of others full stop.
I do think sharing with friends is ok. My reason being, if you really like the band, you would want to buy their album/other albums on your own, in order to support them. In other words:

Musical Sharing (Spreads) Musical Awareness (To Gain) Possible New Fans (To Earn) More $$$ For Bands
My Albums

TALKING LIKE A JERK EXCEPT
YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

SOMETIMES FRIENDS ARE MEAN

last.fm
tumblr
I don't mind doing it because I think if this friend is willing to buy cds and support artists, then he will do so if he likes the cd. If not, he probably knows how to download it anyway.
I always thought the point of music was to bring people together. With that mindset I don't see how it is unethical because it is doing what music is meant to do.
I think I agree with the people who say it is okay on a smaller scale. It may be good to let friends and family hear the music and get to know the artist. But there is a line I have to draw somewhere. I can't agree with sharing music on a larger scale, such as torrents or using Limewire or a similar program. When you resort to that, it's more than likely you want to own the music but you just don't want to pay for it. Some people say that downloading some songs or a full CD to see if you like the artist is okay, because then you are likely to support the artist in the future. This is true in some cases, but in other cases, it could just lead to someone downloading the rest of a band's catalog and any future releases for free. This doesn't support the artist in any way, especially if they don't attend any concerts. Just downloading a few songs, and realizing that there are no immediate reprocussions, could open the door for a marathon of downloading too. If you do it once, you are likely to do it again.

Most artists would agree that they play music to reach out and speak to people, and to create a band to each other that can only be explained through song. With that said, you can't deny that there is a business side to it too. Whether you make $1,000,000 or $10 from it, your music is your property and, should you choose to (by selling CD's, concert tickets, etc.), you should deservedly make money from your work. Sure, you could just give your music out for free, and Bill Gates could have given operating system out for free, and Henry Ford could have given his vehicles out for free. But it is your right to decide if you want to make money from your work, and if you do, then you have every right to be compensated for it.
Quote by boreamor
Are you an idiot?

Unsigned bands make more money from people downloading their music and sharing it with their friends and thus getting a lot of publicity, rather than selling 50 CDs.

On topic:

It is illegal, thus it is unethical on a legal view. But from a musicians view, it's ethical as as someone stated above, music is meant to be shared.

What i said was in reply to the poster i quoted about music is meant to be shared. If unsigned bands want to give away their music to gain publicity, then that is their own business. I have nothing against that, my own band will be doing it ourselves soon enough. But, for people to assume that a band, that has gone out and spent thousands of dollars on a top notch recording, is ethically obliged to share the music for free, is madness. If everyone that had a chance to share in the music, paid their contribution towards the recording (i.e buying the CD), then yes, they have a right to share in it. But, other than that, no.

Quote by Chromex
If I made an album I wouldn't care if people payed for it or not, as long as they listened to it. Making and album costs money, but that doesn't mean that you have the right to get the money back. You shouldn't spend money you're not willing to lose.

Im not saying you have the right to get the money back. Im saying that people dont have the right to have copies of your music for free, simply because it is music.
Last edited by jimmy_neutron at Nov 18, 2009,
I don't have any problem with sharing my music with others, even though I always buy it. I think artists should get paid for their hard work, but who am I to tell others to follow my opinion ?
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
I think it's slightly unethical to just download music off the internet although i do it. But if i think the music's worth supporting I'd then go and buy the album.