Having already thrashed out some fuzz issues in another thread I wanted to clarify something.

Something new, but related...

I ask GG&A what are the material differences between Germanium as a conductor and Silicon when used in a fuzz pedal.

I can only find people saying Germanium is smoother, and Silicon is tighter. That Silicon is a 'better' conductor of current OR heavy physics stuff which doesn't apply.

I also heard that germanium transistors and so on vary between them so the sound of Germanium fuzzes tends to vary while Silicon is more predictable. (Meaning two of the same pedals can have a different sound).

^ Is that alright and what else are the material differences between them in practice.

Thanks again.
Well the main difference would be that Si-diodes usually use up 0.7V and Ger-diodes tend to use a mere 0.3V. I'm not really sure about the other aspects.

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

Quote by ItWillDo
Well the main difference would be that Si-diodes usually use up 0.7V and Ger-diodes tend to use a mere 0.3V. I'm not really sure about the other aspects.

He's talking about transistors.

Germanium tend to sound smoother, and have less gain. Generally. It depends on the circuit. The fuzz factory and is germanium, and many would consider it to be a high gain modern sounding fuzz. Germanium transistors also have varying performances
in different temperatures.

Silicon generally have a "harsher" tone, though not in a bad way. This is usually due to being higher gain.
there will also be more gain on tap using silicon. the only way to tell which one you like better is to try them out. honestly, who cares what is in a pedal, as long as it sounds good.