I'm not expecting a huge lot of replies but then again, this is the Other Forum and I think people are a little bit more open-minded here than in the other threads. Anyway - Jay Chou is probably one of my most favourite artists and I give him so much respect. He plays multiple instruments including guitar, piano, Chinese Urhu, Cello, Drums etc...he composes all of his songs, sings which isn't bad and raps well really well. He's a mix between rap and pop.
His fan base is incredibly huge in Asia, especially in China/Taiwan. He's very publicity shy so we don't get to hear much of him in the news. He is apparently, Marty Friedman's favourite artist in the world which, quite frankly, I find really bizarre. Y'see I didn't think Western people really knew him but then again, he does live in Japan now. Anyway, I'm about to link to a whole load of Jay Chou videos so why don't you tell me what you like about him or not. He's very unique - he has what's known as 周氏風格 or "Chou-style" which literally means combining traditional chinese instruments with rap.

Huge fan and this was the guy who made me more open to rap, although I still hate it unless it's Jay. He's no waster, one of the most respected artists in Asia because he never shrouds himself with Controversy. He's doesn't drink, smoke or hang around in any club so you can actually see just how straight he is. He's compiled a pretty big discography since he came onto the scene back in 2000.

Rap Songs
以父之名 - "In the Name of the Father"
聽媽媽的話 - "Always Listen to your Mother"
外婆 - "Paternal Grandmother"
雙刀 - "Double Blade"
将军 - "Checkmate"
止战之殇 - "Wounds of War"
藍色風暴 - "Blue Storm"
四面楚歌 - "Attacked from all 4 sides"
夜的第七章 - "Twilight Chapter 7, a short 10-minute music film he starred and directed"
霍元甲 - "Fearless"

Non-Rap Songs
爱在西元前 - "Love before AD"
我不配 - "I'm not worthy"
晴天 - "Clear Sky

Now check out this piano battle, a scene from a movie he directed and stared in. The piano playing is real:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbSeZh6apVk - Jay is the one in blue uniform.

Jay is really cool
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Nov 17, 2009,
I used to be a big fan of Jay Chou too. His song 晴天 - "Clear Sky" that you posted, is actually one of the reasons I learned guitar. I liked a lot of his old stuff but I kinda stopped following up on his newer stuff.
lol. You must be Oriental? His new stuff isn't exactly the greatest. He spends quite a lot of his time mentoring new artists/composers under his lable now such as Cindy Yen and Jessie Chiang. It's all good though because he's being constructive.
I just think that he's helped me to be more open-minded with rap, although I still hate it unless it's him where I can actually admit that I love it - Ha!
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Nov 20, 2009,
Yes I'm oriental(kinda). I agree with you on the rap part. I actually don't listen to rap unless it's his stuff or something similar. I used to be more into his stuff until I met the blues!
Last edited by Daus06 at Nov 18, 2009,
My school is mainly asian, so he's huge here

Never got too into that whole KTV-like chinese pop, though
His stuff never really interested me but I've really gotta watch Secret. Anyone who's seen it, is it any good?
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by Daus06
Yes I'm oriental(kinda). I agree with you on the rap part. I actually don't listen to rap unless it's his stuff or something similar. I used to be more into his stuff until I met the blues!

lol. I just knew it. I started liking Cantopop from the beginning and then moved onto Western Music. I've just made my resurgence back into Cantopop 2 years ago and I think I can say with confidence that I do prefer it.

Quote by Cianyx
His stuff never really interested me but I've really gotta watch Secret. Anyone who's seen it, is it any good?

Awesome movie - If you do plan on watching it do not look up the trailer/read the plot or even the synopsis because it really does ruin the core of the movie
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Nov 20, 2009,
Jay-Chou is awesome!
I really like his rap too, Japanese and Chinese language works well in rap.
But it's his singing that just amazes me.
He's got a great voice and ever changing style.
Korean and Japanese rap is also cool!
Quote by Mayu!~
Jay-Chou is awesome!
I really like his rap too, Japanese and Chinese language works well in rap.
But it's his singing that just amazes me.
He's got a great voice and ever changing style.
Korean and Japanese rap is also cool!

He's awesome. How did you get into Jay btw? I'm sorry - just not used to seeing people who know him.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by Cianyx

As a pianist, I loved it. Anyone who likes classical music will probably appreciate it immediately because of the music aspect. However it can be slightly confusing at times.

Possible spoiler:
Harmonius, maybe you can explain why Xiao Yu doesn't recognise him at the end. I couldn't understand that.

Really good film though. There's rumours of a sequel, but I don't know how that will work.

I've been a fan of his music for a while. Shuo Hao De Xing Fu Ne, Qi Li Xiang, Qing Tian, Dao Xiang, etc. would be some of my favourite songs. I also like some of the stuff he's written for Jolin Tsai but I don't know if that counts.
WOW!!
That piano battle was amazing!!
I also really liked his rap music!
thankyou for bringing this up harmonious, im always looking to expand my musical horizons!
RIP Turnip. RIP MCA.
RIP #58.
Quote by Regression
As a pianist, I loved it. Anyone who likes classical music will probably appreciate it immediately because of the music aspect. However it can be slightly confusing at times.

Possible spoiler:
Harmonius, maybe you can explain why Xiao Yu doesn't recognise him at the end. I couldn't understand that.

Really good film though. There's rumours of a sequel, but I don't know how that will work.

I've been a fan of his music for a while. Shuo Hao De Xing Fu Ne, Qi Li Xiang, Qing Tian, Dao Xiang, etc. would be some of my favourite songs. I also like some of the stuff he's written for Jolin Tsai but I don't know if that counts.

Do you remember the quote in the film "Something something lies in black keys...something hastey"? It basically means - get every key right otherwise something will go wrong such as someone will not recognize you. During the end - it's not as if 小雨 didn't recognize him - we don't know that for sure but it does beg to wonder whether she actually did or not and therefore we're all left to wonder whether he actually played the song right or made that one mistake.

Thanks for the good responses guys - he's got a lot more good stuff and for that matter, Chinese music offers a lot more. I might make a couple of threads dedicated to other Chinese musicians that you guys should really look into.

¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by Harmonius
Do you remember the quote in the film "Something something lies in black keys...something hastey"? It basically means - get every key right otherwise something will go wrong such as someone will not recognize you. During the end - it's not as if 小雨 didn't recognize him - we don't know that for sure but it does beg to wonder whether she actually did or not and therefore we're all left to wonder whether he actually played the song right or made that one mistake.

Thanks for the good responses guys - he's got a lot more good stuff and for that matter, Chinese music offers a lot more. I might make a couple of threads dedicated to other Chinese musicians that you guys should really look into.

Quite a weird response if she did recognise him. Based on her personality through out the film, it doesn't really seem like a fitting response from her. I imagine he made a mistake then. Thanks for clearing that up.

I'd be happy to see more talk about Chinese musicians, generally asian pop tends to focus on arrangement and orchestration more than western pop. Although, you mainly like cantopop? <.<

Other than the obvious people (and one or two not so obvious), I don't really listen to it.

Going to quickly recommend Wu Lai Zheng Yi by Color and Mark Chao (mando). It has some very tasty lead guitar, and overall just a good song. Also, I'll recommend the hk band Mr. ("Everyone" is a good song) for fans of Eason Chan (probably no one). I don't know if it will appeal to anybody though.
Last edited by Regression at Dec 22, 2009,
Quote by Regression
Quite a weird response if she did recognise him. Based on her personality through out the film, it doesn't really seem like a fitting response from her. I imagine he made a mistake then. Thanks for clearing that up.

I'd be happy to see more talk about Chinese musicians, generally asian pop tends to focus on arrangement and orchestration more than western pop. Although, you mainly like cantopop? <.<

Other than the obvious people (and one or two not so obvious), I don't really listen to it.

Going to quickly recommend Wu Lai Zheng Yi by Color and Mark Chao (mando). It has some very tasty lead guitar, and overall just a good song. Also, I'll recommend the hk band Mr. ("Everyone" is a good song) for fans of Eason Chan (probably no one). I don't know if it will appeal to anybody though.

Haha - Yeah, I know that song. It's not my sort of thing - I love Cantopop and Mandopop but I just don't think the whole rockband thing suits them. I know Eason - he went to my School. Speaking of him, I'm massive, massive, massive 容祖兒 fan. I almost got to see her last year but missed out due to exams!
The songs linked to weren't bad but I just don't think Chinese people can really pull off the whole rock-ish band thing well.

Imma link to some artists (both Canto and Mando) who I absolutely love - maybe you've heard of them. These links are also for anyone else exploring Chinese music:

Regression - you're Cantonese, you sound like it? I looooove Chinese music. Asian music in general just has so much more melody involved.

怎麼知道你愛我 - 卓文萱
方大同 ft. 薛凱琪
糖不甩- 薛凱琪
浪漫無聲 - 鍾嘉欣
我的寶貝 - 江語晨
我的主题曲 - 江语晨
小脾氣 - 卓文萱
句句我愛你 - 吳雨霏
你還是疼我的 - 容祖兒
零時零分 - 容祖兒

That's all for now. I looooove Cantopop <3
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Dec 22, 2009,
Hmm. I didn't like that Mr. song at first, but it grew on me. You went to school with Eason? Are you being serious? wthhhhh. I'm well aware you like Joey Yung, that's how I remembered you (she's not exactly the most well known singer to UG users). Why'd you come back to UG, did you miss it too much?

How do I sound like I'm cantonese? <.< I just know a lot about asian culture because I live in an area with a large asian population.

That Zen Mo Zhi Dao Wo Ai Ni song is very catchy, I've never heard Zhuo Wen Xuan's singing before. She's done a bit of acting, right? It took a few listens but I quite like it now.

Jiang Yu Chen, I like the second song, Wo De Zhu Ti Qu. (would it be easier for you if I use characters)

I absolutely love that 句句我爱你 song. Can I ask, wth does 句句 mean?

Like the Joey songs, but I expected that. Just to keep on topic, 容祖儿 - 小小 is a great song. It's one of her mandarin ones, composed by none other than Jay Chou.

李雅微 - 我们的纪念
郭采洁 - I Remember [Eng]
蔡依林 - Love Love Love

Sorry about the link for 我们的纪念, all the youtube videos that I found had weird audio. Harmonius, I realise you've probably heard the 蔡依林 song, but I thought others might like it.
lol - yeah, I knew that Jay composed that song for her. It's called, Little btw. To be honest, that's the worst song of the album (Entitled 小小 haha. 句句 means um...a statement, something said, something like that. It's so difficult to sort of describe it in that way though because you can use it in different ways. For example, if I said: 一句話 - it means "A Promise" (Yut Geui Wa - hate Pinyin and simplied Chinese ). That song you really like is called, "I love you in every phrase", you could say. Her name is Kary Ng - she's actually a distant relative of mine apparently. HK is really, really small...I mean, Jackie Chan used to live down the road from me . It's not so surprising that I know a lot of the stars.

I know Shivia - not a huge fan but she's talented. That song didn't work so I just Youtubed it - quite nice. I know Jolin - quite a big fan too as I have all her stuff. You might want to check out 独占神话 - 蔡依林 (my favourite Jolin song).

I'm sorry - it's just that I'm not used to seeing someone Western know so much about Chinese music. I mean, for starters - you know a lot of the older generation stars such as Eason and Joey and you know PinYin. You also know that 卓文萱 has done a lot of acting (her name is Genie btw). She's very popular as an actress and singer.

If I had to really list down my top 5 favourite artists of all time it would be:

- 容祖兒
- 卓文萱/薛凱琪
- 周杰倫
- 王菲

I think you'll really like Genie - (Zen Mo Zhi Dao Wo Ai Ni - really, really old song). I really recommend you download her three main albums here. Start with Oxygenie Of Happiness, Be Used To and then My Favourite Kind of Genie. You won't regret it - really catchy and addictive if you love really singable love melodies. If you want some way of introduction here are some tunes from all three of those albums you can try out and decide whether you like her enough to download those albums:

卓文萱 - 一句話
卓文萱 - 對你的愛
卓文萱 - 自從遇見你
卓文萱 - 瘋了瘋了
卓文萱 - 手心
卓文萱 - 長衣袖
卓文萱 - 甜甜圈
卓文萱 - 讀心術

By the way, Jessie (Jiang Yu Chen) is the girl in this Jay Chou video for 我不配 (first post to which I linked to).
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Dec 23, 2009,
It's the worst song off the album? I love it.

I wish I knew Eason, and lived near Jackie Chan. The moral of the story is, you know pretty much everyone in HK? <.<

I'm not a huge fan of her music either, but I really like that song. I hope you watched the youtube video without the weird delay, that completely ruins it. It sounds like 2 people are playing the piano, and they're out of time with each other. This Jolin Tsai song is pretty good, never heard it. I love her voice.

Irritating synth bass though, it reminds me of the bass in a BOA song. I have a lot of respect for her but her music gives me headaches, her and Koda Kumi's. I can't explain why. Although you don't listen to Japanese/Korean music do you?

You don't have to say sorry, I wasn't offended that you'd guess I'm canto. I have friends who have introduced me to a lot of asian music. I even know the likes of Jacky Cheung, Andy Lau, etc. Although to be fair, I found out about Andy Lau after watching Infernal Affairs (无间道. I originally found it interesting because I realised I hadn't ever heard a lot of asian music and so I started listening to quite a few singers. It's sad almost none of them will get exposure in western countries, when some of it is really good music. That's kind of what inspired me to actually explore it and find out about some new artists. I really like the whole "eastern" sound, I think it'd be cool to incorporate into compositions of my own one day. As for recognising Genie as an actress, I've seen her in something before so...

I'll just go ahead and download those albums. I have bandwidth to spare atm so I'm going crazy with downloads. Can I ask if Sammi Cheng is a good singer, she also was in Infernal Affairs and tbh, I can't work out how a voice like that could ever sound good. <.<

I do love really singable melodies. Although, what's a love melody? <.< I assume all her songs are love songs? Seems like it judging by the list above.

I do love some of the really, how would one put it. Take the song 理想情人 by Rainie Yang for example, or 无解呦 by By2 (don't shoot me for liking that song), very dream like music. Anything like that is automatically a yes for me.

Thanks for that site btw, looks like it has a lot on there.

As for your top five, hmm. I can only judge 周杰伦,卓文萱 and 容祖儿, never listened to 薛凯琪 (other than the song you linked to earlier) and only heard the odd song by 王菲, even though she was so popular. I understand why those three at in the list though, Jay and Joey would definately be in my list, maybe Genie too after a bit more of a listen.

I've seen the video for Wo Bu Pei, all I remember was that the girl in the video was quite pretty (which to many people is shocking in a Jay Chou mv).

Apparently she's been rumoured as dating him, but she's denied it so meh.

I liked this excerpt from an article:
She even expressed that Jay hardly ever praises her for being pretty, but rather always teases her about having a manly voice, and always telling her not to talk too much: “Only after filming his “Qing Tian Wa Wa” and “The Longest Movie” MVs did he say I was pretty, and I think he was talking about in the MV.”

Oh, and are there any other really good songs by Kary Ng? Like I said before, 句句我爱你 was really good. Her voice is addictive. Tbh, I prefer the sound of mandarin over cantonese a lot of the time, but sometimes the sound of cantonese can just be really addictive. I'm not sure if you will understand what I mean, but cantonese has this really, round sound? <.<

Edit: Er, sorry for the long post.
Last edited by Regression at Dec 23, 2009,
Quote by Regression
It's the worst song off the album? I love it.

I wish I knew Eason, and lived near Jackie Chan. The moral of the story is, you know pretty much everyone in HK? <.<

I'm not a huge fan of her music either, but I really like that song. I hope you watched the youtube video without the weird delay, that completely ruins it. It sounds like 2 people are playing the piano, and they're out of time with each other. This Jolin Tsai song is pretty good, never heard it. I love her voice.

Irritating synth bass though, it reminds me of the bass in a BOA song. I have a lot of respect for her but her music gives me headaches, her and Koda Kumi's. I can't explain why. Although you don't listen to Japanese/Korean music do you?

You don't have to say sorry, I wasn't offended that you'd guess I'm canto. I have friends who have introduced me to a lot of asian music. I even know the likes of Jacky Cheung, Andy Lau, etc. Although to be fair, I found out about Andy Lau after watching Infernal Affairs (无间道. I originally found it interesting because I realised I hadn't ever heard a lot of asian music and so I started listening to quite a few singers. It's sad almost none of them will get exposure in western countries, when some of it is really good music. That's kind of what inspired me to actually explore it and find out about some new artists. I really like the whole "eastern" sound, I think it'd be cool to incorporate into compositions of my own one day. As for recognising Genie as an actress, I've seen her in something before so...

I'll just go ahead and download those albums. I have bandwidth to spare atm so I'm going crazy with downloads. Can I ask if Sammi Cheng is a good singer, she also was in Infernal Affairs and tbh, I can't work out how a voice like that could ever sound good. <.<

I do love really singable melodies. Although, what's a love melody? <.< I assume all her songs are love songs? Seems like it judging by the list above.

I do love some of the really, how would one put it. Take the song 理想情人 by Rainie Yang for example, or 无解呦 by By2 (don't shoot me for liking that song), very dream like music. Anything like that is automatically a yes for me.

Thanks for that site btw, looks like it has a lot on there.

As for your top five, hmm. I can only judge 周杰伦,卓文萱 and 容祖儿, never listened to 薛凯琪 (other than the song you linked to earlier) and only heard the odd song by 王菲, even though she was so popular. I understand why those three at in the list though, Jay and Joey would definately be in my list, maybe Genie too after a bit more of a listen.

I've seen the video for Wo Bu Pei, all I remember was that the girl in the video was quite pretty (which to many people is shocking in a Jay Chou mv).

Apparently she's been rumoured as dating him, but she's denied it so meh.

I liked this excerpt from an article:
She even expressed that Jay hardly ever praises her for being pretty, but rather always teases her about having a manly voice, and always telling her not to talk too much: “Only after filming his “Qing Tian Wa Wa” and “The Longest Movie” MVs did he say I was pretty, and I think he was talking about in the MV.”

Oh, and are there any other really good songs by Kary Ng? Like I said before, 句句我爱你 was really good. Her voice is addictive. Tbh, I prefer the sound of mandarin over cantonese a lot of the time, but sometimes the sound of cantonese can just be really addictive. I'm not sure if you will understand what I mean, but cantonese has this really, round sound? <.<

Edit: Er, sorry for the long post.

Hahaha - you see - this is the exact reason why I thought you were Cantonese. You just seem to be interested in a lot of Asian stuff. Nah, I don't listen to Japanese music but I know a lot of Chinese people prefer K-pop rather than Jpop. I'm all C/Mpop. I've got 無間道 - all three of them (hated the Western Remake, The Departed, just ruined the film). Did you know that there are a total of 5 artists in the series? There's Andy Lau and Sammi Cheng as you rightly stated. Tony Leung (the good cop) is also an artist and so is Leon Lai (Third installement). In fact, in Cantopop, there's a quad of 4 artists who are generally known as "四大天王" or 4 Heavenly Kings of Pop. These include Andy Lau, Leon Lai, Jacky Cheung and Aaron Kwok. You may already know of some of them.

By the way - the Doctor in Infernal Affairs is Kelly Chen. She's also a huge semi-retired Cantopop singer in HK. I can't say I'm a huge fan of Sammi - she's just alright but nothing I consider special. I'll always see her more as an actress rather than a singer but she is very huge. You may like this song by her called 終身美麗 (Beautiful Love). It's a soundtrack to a film called, "Love on a Diet" about how two overweight people fall in love when one helps the other lose weight. She has a strong voice but I'm just not a fan. This is the only song that I really like of hers.

And I know BY2 (The twins right? ). I don't like them too much but they're rising stars. I know Rainnie as well - good artist but no where in the same league as Genie. Genie is probably just about as big as you can cut it in terms of Mandopop along with Jolin.
Kary Ng is a good artist, I recommend you download the album "18 Cuts" - see that website I gave you. That song you really like - there's a Mandarin version called "台北四天三夜" - although I can't find a link to it. I agree - I do prefer the sound of Mandarin more than Cantonese and although they are very similar (barring tonal differences), I understand Cantonese more.

As for Jiang Yu Chen, download her album 晴天娃娃 - see the website I've given you. That's a really good album as well. Coming from your comments, I think you really like Mandopop - sort of really catchy poprockish songs. I love them too and it's no wonder why you liked, 我的主題曲. It means, "My Theme Tune".

Fiona is an amazing artist. I really strongly recommend you download her Mandarin album, "It's My Day" - again, see the website I gave you. I think that's more of your taste. Here are some tracks on the album:

It's My Day - 薛凱琪
愛麗絲的第一次 - 薛凱琪
復刻回憶 - 薛凱琪 (Jacky Cheung Cover w/Khalil (linked to him above)

Fiona and Khalil are rumoured to be going out with each other. They've yet to deny it or admit it.

Some other artists you might like to listen to:

AINY - 鄧紫棋
回憶的沙漏 (國 - 鄧紫棋
二缺一 - 蔡卓妍
花田错 - 王力宏
畫沙 ft. 周杰倫合唱 (with Jay Chou) - 袁詠琳
鄧麗欣 - 初見
入型入格 - 謝安琪

Don't worry about long post - I'm just Harmyrolling here - I hope you don't mind, just spreading the love of Chinese music to anyone interested.

EDIT: btw, I came back for Christmas and I'm leaving again after December for another year.

蔡卓妍 (born in Vancouver, raised in HK), 薛凱琪, 鄧麗欣, 容祖兒, 吳雨霏 are Cantonese artists but they do sing in Mandarin as well as Cantonese. 鄧紫棋 was born in China but she was raised in HK. 王力宏, 袁詠琳 and 方大同 (Khalil) were born in America and raised in the US. Khalil moved to HK during his teenage years and then to China. 王力宏 didn't start learning Mandarin until his latter years but he's pretty much fluent in everything and speaks some cantonese. 袁詠琳 is an American as well, from Texas I believe.

Genie, Jiang Yu and Jay are from Taiwan (Republic of China).

It's just such a good mix <3. Faye was born and raised in China but grew up in his teenage years in HK.

It's good that you can tell between Mandarin and Cantonese though - some people can't tell the difference and I don't know how they couldn't.

I recommend you download Joey's Mandarin album - 獨照. See the website again. You can download 小小 if you want by her too. It's a good album. The song itself is alright but there are definitely better ones. Here's are better ones from that album:

曙鳳蝶 - 容祖兒
在你的左右 - 容祖兒
間接傷害 - 容祖兒

EDIT: ONE MORE GENIE TRACK - I LOVE THIS SO MUCH

香草戀人 - 卓文萱
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Dec 23, 2009,
Yeah, Korean seems to be the in thing atm, notably Big Bang. I don't listen to a huge amount of Jpop but I absolutely love Ayumi Hamasaki's music. I have the whole Infernal Affairs series too, but I'm yet to watch the second or third ones. I got them cheap overseas. I've been meaning to watch The Departed but havn't gotten around to it yet. I don't know how it will live up to Infernal Affairs. I kind of thought the doctor was kind of redundant in the film, they could have put her to better use. Seemed just like she was there for the obligatory love scenes, not as bad as Elva Hsiao though, was she dubbed? That's the one thing that annoyed me about the film, it seemed as though they were desperately trying to fit in as many big names as possible. (Shawn Yue and Edison bleh Chen) Yeah, I've heard of 四大天王 but I've never actually listened to Leon Lai or Aaron Kwok. I must say, I wasn't a huge fan of Jacky Cheung. Too oldschool.

Listening to the song (Sammi Cheng), I wouldn't rate it. Yeah, they're the twins. I don't really listen to them, but I liked that song. Most people I know don't like them. I thought I must be the only one. As big as you can get in terms of mandopop? What about Fahrenheit and S.H.E? <.< Or 童話 by 王光良? Did he even release any other popular songs?

And yeah, I suppose that's somewhat accurate. I probably am slightly more inclined to the pop-rock kind of sound. I do like songs such as 刻不容緩 though, no need to say which artist I assume. Can I ask who the guy is though? That website is good, but it links to rapidshare so it seems I need to wait a while between dl's.

I've never heard anything good by 王力宏 but he has perfect pitch, due to that I am immediately very jealous of him. Fun fact which might make you quite proud, speakers of tonal languages are nine times more likely to get perfect pitch. Gives you a reason to brag about your language. Oh, and 潘玮柏 was also born in the US, just to add to your list. 陈冠希 was born in Canada.

Reading about 鄧紫棋. "She first appeared on screen as an actress in the famous Taiwanese drama "Dou Yu II" I've seen a bit of the first one. I loved it despite some of the terrible acting. She has a pretty good voice, I might dl some more of her music.

Faye was born and raised in China but grew up in his teenage years in HK.

Am I missing something here?

Telling the difference isn't too hard, I understand a tiny bit of mandarin so. And like I said, Cantonese sounds very round. All the words are like little spheres.

Those songs are pretty good, but there was something about 小小 that I just loved. It seemed, minimalistic in a way? Very pure. I loved the long instrumental interludes, I guess it's just not to everyones taste. I really love that traditional sound. Songs like 月滿西樓, I'm pretty sure it's by 童丽.

And in complete contrast, 蔡依林 - 睁一只眼闭一只眼. 容祖兒 - 越唱越強 is also I don't know what the point of mentioning those last 2 songs was, you definitely know them, but yeah, I love them.

If I don't post before then, hope you have a Harmonius Christmas.

Aren't I clever?

And you're leaving again for another year? Dammit, I'll be the only one on UG who likes cpop again. Nobody seems to take me seriously when I suggest any form of asian pop in threads.
Last edited by Regression at Dec 24, 2009,
Well, I got drawn into visual kei ages ago (japanese rock for those who dont know) and along with that j-pop. My girlfriend is chinese so she figured I'd like Jay Chou since I was listening to a lot op japanese hip hop like WISE and Teriyaki Boyz, she had this limited edition dvd/cd box by jay chou her mom had bought for her because her mom figured he was blazing hot and she would like him. but my gf didnt x'D
but I did x')
I'm not gay don't get me wrong. he just looks cool and his rap as well as his singing is great! Btw, I had been trying to suggest some japanese guitarists and other asian artists in some threads, but yeah no one cares. even though Miyavi and toshikhiko takamizawa are some great guitarists. anyone should check them out!
I'm a big fan of Miyavi's style. The whole percussive thing isn't exactly revolutionary. See Petteri Sariola, Don Ross, Andy Mckee, Don Ross & Justin King for example (I must say, Justin King blows Miyavi away in terms of technique), but he gets into some really cool grooves, and is generally a pretty good song writer. I love the 7 Samurai Sessions version of Girls, Be Ambitious. Toshihiko Takamizawa isn't that interesting in my opinion. Great guitarist, but so many japanese guitarists seem to have that general style.
Last edited by Regression at Dec 30, 2009,
Infernal Affairs shits all over The Departed. It would have been a great stand alone movie but when compared to real one, pssh, IA trumps all.

It seems I just stumbled upon the two biggest Asian fanboys on UG. On another note, BY2 are the same age as me which I find rather depressing. They're out being popstars and I can barely find the motivation to play guitar.

Anyone here heard Taeyang's Wedding Dress? I might be missing the Pop bus a bit but my friends seem to be all over him and that song, and that music video. I really do think he's just trying to imitate Ne-yo
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
I heard some people thought The Departed did it justice. Even some hk people who were really hoping it would suck ended up saying it was actually reasonable. Still yet to see it though so I wouldn't know.

If you're talking about Harmonius and I, it would seem Harmonius has already left for another year, without even saying goodbye... And I think Harmonius is a fangirl. BY2 are also the same age as me, it is depressing.

I don't know, if you listen to other stuff by Taeyang, it doesn't sound anything like Neyo. Not missing the pop bus, I think the songs only about one or two months old. He's a pretty good singer, so I won't really criticise him.

It would seem you like Girls Generation, judging by that heart next to their name? You might like Davichi. 8282 is a good song, strange though, goes from ballad to dance (and back again).

Find it irritatingly catchy and the girls are hot but I'm not a too big a fan of them. The sig thing is more of an inside joke but I'll definitely give a shot.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Who has insider jokes about Korean girl bands? <.<

I kind of enjoy some of their music, but it kind of falls into the Boa/Koda Kumi category where I really just can't stand it sometimes.
Wow i didn't think i'd find a thread like this in UG.. awesome

Jay Chou is totally my favourite chinese artist.. Qing Tian is usually always the first song i teach all my guitar students
Yeah, too many japanese artists take on that style.
wich is dissapointing but you can still see that some of them really have it and some just..dont. anyone ever heard of GO!GO!7188?? they are pretty cool I think.
Listening to GO!GO!7188. Decent, nothing really amazing though. It might get stuck in my head one day though. If we're talking Japanese pop, I don't think it really gets any better than Ayumi Hamasaki. Her live performances aren't as good as they used to be, she's deaf in one ear now so you can't blame her.

If anyone wants I can link to some of her songs. Some of the best arrangements you'll ever hear, imo.
yeah, she is just as good as it gets.
Too bad about her hearing problems. at least she is still doing a lot of things in the whole label world.
Kyo has it too right? (dir en grey)
I'm pretty much sure everyone knows them about now...
since the radical change of style and all.
She's still releasing a lot of music though, and she doesn't plan to slow down anytime soon it seems.

I thought Kyo is only partially deaf in one ear. I don't listen to Dir En Grey much, stuff like Dozing Green is cool (and the ridiculous vocal part in Red Soil). I havn't followed the timeline of their music so I don't know how their style has changed really. All I know is they're releasing a lot of heavier stuff atm.
Yeah, they used to be all visual-kei, better music for my tastes. And then Kisaki from Phantasmagoria slept with kyo's gf, they got into a fight, it's long ago btw, and kyo's gf kicked him out. The band stated that "they were no longer happy" so they took this wanna be american metal band style. seems to be popular tho. oh, does anyone like/know cyndi wang? btw I have the Jay Chou 2007 world tour concert live probably my favourite songs. I was watching chinese tv at my gf's house and Jay Chou was on tv x'D I don't like the country style song tho. I don't know what it is called since...I could not read.. anything.. at all..
The term visual kei is too broad. The music varies a lot so I never assume I might like something because it's visual kei. Tbh, they don't sound like they're trying to emulate American Metal.

Dozing Green is an amazing song, and I don't see how it's Americanised. Stuck Man has a pretty creative start. (sorry, the only album I'm really familiar with is Uroboros. Ofcourse I've heard other stuff but I don't know it as well.

Cyndi Wang Xin Lin, yes I know her. Only for the songs she did for a drama she appeared in though. It's ridiculously, happy, but addictive. Smiling Pasta. Can't remember the song title but it had steel drums. I liked it, but there are heaps of better singers out there.

I'm not familiar with any country song by Jay Chou btw. You'll have to be a bit more specific. (either that or I just don't know it). What's the setlist for '07 world tour dvd btw?
I think the song was cowboy on the run.
wow.. the set list x'D It's 2 dvd.
just google it, probably says somewhere.
It has Ninja and Nocturne, Qing Hua Ci, Huang Jin Jia.
just some of my faves.
ah once you see the turn in diru's style and music.. you'll notice. even though it's only some songs were you notice the change. some are still pretty cool.
it's not important anyway. It's just that they kind of left the whole visual thing.
I realise their music contrasts heavily, I'll have to get their earlier stuff from a friend of mine.

If you like stuff like Dao Xiang, then you might like Pan Wei Bo.

亲爱的

Pretty good song, not Jay Chou good, but still good. The voices at the end are very irritating though. I just tend to stop the song at that point.