Man i read like 25 different websites and post about polishing a satin guitar before i went to start mine.
They said use this and that and you have to do it this way and dont use this. And i was all confused. I read one that said he used Meguiars deep crystal polish.

But he used 0000 steel wool first and this that and the other. Well i wanted to polish my 110 because i bought it used and it had a shiny spot at the top where your arm lays to strum. So i wanted it all to match. I knew it would shine because part of it already was.

So i used Meguiars deep crystal polish (the step2) with a terry cloth rag and some elbow grease and that thing is shining like a new penny. Now it isn't as glossy as a factory gloss guitar but it does have a good shine. Now im not finished and i haven't waxed it yet. But as for now the thing i like is that it shines but it doesn't leave finger prints!

So if any of you guy want to do this it is just the step 2 part of the Meguiars deep crystal system. Nothing else no sanding no steel wool just rub the fire out of it and wax it when your done and it looks great!!!

I will try and post before and after pics when i get it finished...
You may not want to wax it. It will seep into the pores of the wood and hinder the top from vibrating. Also, it will build up some gunk over time.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Well i got it finished.....used a foam polisher that came with a 3M headlight restore kit.

With Meguiars deep crystal step 2. I was using it by hand but i thought it could be better.

Man was i right. I put the polisher in my Makita battery drill and used it about half speed. With a good amount of the polish on it. Then wipe it all off when i was done. The i put a good coat of Turtle wax on after i had got it where i thought it needed to be! The wax added just a little more shine also. And it helped even out the finish!

I have to say it looks like i sprayed it with a clear coat! I will add some pics later!

Well, we tried.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
On public transport I furiously masturbate while trying to make eye contact with as many people as possible for as long as possible.
Ohh well... as long as it's not my guitar.
Equipment:

I don't. He made some pretty normal/helpful posts in other threads.
Equipment:

What confuses me is that Taylor actually recommends using Turtle Wax.

WHAT THE HELL, TAYLOR?!?!
Quote by Ur all $h1t
On public transport I furiously masturbate while trying to make eye contact with as many people as possible for as long as possible.
For a proper high-gloss finish, it's actually okay. But wax on a matte/satin finish? That's just asking for trouble.
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
For a proper high-gloss finish, it's actually okay. But wax on a matte/satin finish? That's just asking for trouble.

Well, certain types of gloss finishes anyway. For example, if I had a guitar with a French polish finish, I wouldn't let wax anywhere near it. You really need a pretty thick finish in the first place for the guitar not to be affected by the wax, and even then it will still dampen the sound a bit.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I hate it when my guitar is too shiny and the light refracts off of it all over the place...so I mine gets a dry microfiber cloth and that's about it. I cannot imagine using turtle wax on anything acoustic. Electric guitar finishes are similar to car finishes...but acoustics?

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
I just leave it as is. An unscratched guitar is an unloved guitar.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Those wipe on wipe off auto waxes leave a microscopically thin layer of wax on the finish (hundreds of times thinner than many finishes themselves)so I don't see the harm -- just keep it off of your fingerboard or bridge if it's unfinished too -- in fact, I would even mask them off before treating the finish. You're treating the non-porous finish, not the wood, so it's okay. Electric guitars are often finished using the same materials as acoustics, but often you'll see the finish of an electric guitar given a final rub with beeswax, which, could be argued, may leave too much residue for an acoustic, but I think people still use it.
Well I dont feel I did anything harmful to the guitar. There is a Varnish on the guitar from the factory.
I called Taylor before i did anything to it. They said that me polishing the existing finish was fine as long as i didnt add finish to the guitar. Like spraying it with Lacquer or other type of clear coat.
They said that would dampen and change the sound of the guitar like as if I put duck tape all over it.
But if you know anything about polishing...aluminum or jewelry etc it actually takes a small amount of the top layer off. So I would say if anything I took some of the finish off. I didnt add anything to dampen the sound.
And as for the Turtle wax thats straight from Taylor. You can call them or look on there web site and see they recommend Turtle wax a number of times!
The finish thats on the guitar satin or gloss is NOT porous. So wax is not going to affect the sound.
I actually like satin guitars also but this Taylor is a 2005 and was already shiny on the top where your arm lays to strum. Thats where i got the idea to polish it to begin with.
And I got it for 335$ so not a major investment either so...
But like i said I contacted Taylor on all this before i started and used products that they recommend. And they do recommend Turtle wax on satin also! Even though mine wasn't satin anymore by he time I used the wax!!
This post was just intended to let people know that polishing a satin guitar is not rocket science. And i did mask off the bridge and finger board before starting!
And by the way Guitar sounds exactly like it did before i started! Just looks a little better (to me) now!
^ you obviously planned this out well, and It's great that you're happy with the end result! Post some before and after pics if you have them!
Yeah i did, people sometimes think everyone is a total idiot. But I would never do something to a guitar without a lot of research before hand.

I will take some afters i think i only have one before. But im sure people will get the idea anyway!
here is a a couple after pics.....before pics of a 110 can be found anywhere on the net!!

Well to be honest I like it not shiny also! But i can tell you if you actually play it very much parts of it will become shiny whether you want it to or not!
If you ever destroy the finish, try taking it to a luthier and get it re-finished with French polish. It will look amazing, and you might even notice some sonic improvements as well.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Quote by i_don't_know
If you ever destroy the finish, try taking it to a luthier and get it re-finished with French polish. It will look amazing, and you might even notice some sonic improvements as well.

What would be the sonic improvement by applying/rubbing shellac on it? I agree it looks good!
Quote by kmyers18
What would be the sonic improvement by applying/rubbing shellac on it? I agree it looks good!

It's probably one of the lightest, thinnest finishes out there, so the top is more free to vibrate.

Don't just rub it on, though. If you want shellac, you'll need a refinish. Keep what you have for now. When you start having bare spots in the finish from extensive wear, consider shellac.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Shellac is also a more breathable finish, if I'm not mistaken, and helps with the guitar's aging process.
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
Shellac is also a more breathable finish, if I'm not mistaken, and helps with the guitar's aging process.

Yes.

The only problem is that it's fragile, so you have to take good care of it and get it touched up every now and then.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Quote by i_don't_know
It's probably one of the lightest, thinnest finishes out there, so the top is more free to vibrate.

Don't just rub it on, though. If you want shellac, you'll need a refinish. Keep what you have for now. When you start having bare spots in the finish from extensive wear, consider shellac.

Oh im not changing anything on mine for now! It was work enough getting what i have!
^ Good for you....but if you ever get a french polish, be sure to use dewaxed shellac....

sorry, couldn't resist....

And the finish looks great! You really did a good job!
Last edited by milagroso at Nov 22, 2009,
Quote by milagroso
^ Good for you....but if you ever get a french polish, be sure to use dewaxed shellac....

sorry, couldn't resist....

And the finish looks great! You really did a good job!

LOL..... Yeh ill be sure to do that...