Ok, so iv just got roped into playing bass for jazz band at my school. I have never played before, so what do i need to learn? And are there any good sties out there for learning bass also?

thanks
Quote by headbangerbuggy
That is the most incomprehensible post I have ever seen. LEARN TO GRAMMAR.

Quote by steven seagull
Then it IS blues, just angrier, louder and more pissed off
A teacher and lessons are the best things you could do. If that isn't possible, or isn't something you want to do, a good book is probably the next best thing. For basic information about basses, bass amps, care and maintenance, basic exercises, etc. check out the FAQ, and welcome to the world of bass!
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Ok you need to do some browsing round UG. Read the stickies at the top of this forum and look in the bass archives. Anarkee looks after us pretty well in the bass forum so the good stuff is fairly easy to find. Look in the lessons in the toolbar at the top. If you can't find a teacher get a book with a cd/dvd. Hal Leonard publish some good things.

Get yourself a metronome or a drum machine early on. Your progress with a metronome will be much quicker.
This site is def the best site for learning guitar because it has links to other good sites. I agree with the metronome idea. Bass locks in with the drums and if they aren't in sync it's not even music. When I first started playing I remember I could never keep time I kept speeding up and slowing down without noticing. Best thing to do is look up tabs to songs and learn them. Iron man, smells like teen spirit, come as you are. Come as you are was really fun and probably the most rewarding song I ever learned. You'll need to know a lot of scales and theory though if you're playing jazz bass
^ you need to know scales and theory if your playing any bass. If you only learn tabs, you won't be able to play anything but said tabs, essentially limiting yourself to only playing covers.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
i know most the scales and stuff on guitar, so i got that down. Now i played guitar mainly with a pick, so that's coming back and biting me in the butt. It's hard to finger pick the bass. any tips?
Quote by headbangerbuggy
That is the most incomprehensible post I have ever seen. LEARN TO GRAMMAR.

Quote by steven seagull
Then it IS blues, just angrier, louder and more pissed off