Page 1 of 3
Sad News for Gibson fans.
Here's the link!

11-17-2009 4:06 PM —

UPDATED: To clarify that charges have yet to be filed and identify the federal agency involved in the office search; adds statement from Gibson

As originally reported:

Federal agents from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and local police today seized wood, guitars, computers and boxes of files from Gibson Guitar's Massman Road manufacturing facility.

Sources say the Nashville-based guitar manufacturer is being investigated for violating the Lacey Act, a key piece of environmental law, for importing endangered species of rosewood from Madagascar.

Rosewood is widely used in the construction of guitars and sells for $5,000 per cubic meter, more than double the price of mahogany. The island nation off Africa's east coast is a key producer of the hardwood, the export of which has links to international criminal activity.

A statement from Gibson released late Tuesday afternoon says the company is "fully co-operating" with the investigation.

"Gibson Guitar is fully cooperating with agents of the United States Fish & Wildlife Service as it pertains to an issue with harvested wood. Gibson is a chain of custody certified buyer who purchases wood from legal suppliers who are to follow all standards. Gibson Guitar Chairman and CEO [Henry Juszkiewicz] sits on the board of the Rainforest Alliance and takes the issue of certification very seriously. The company will continue to cooperate fully and assist our federal government with all inquiries and information," the company's statement said.

Madagascar has struggled financially since a January coup and new President Andry Rajoelina issued an executive order in September legalizing the export of rosewood and ebony. The move was decried by environmental groups and political leaders worldwide, as hardwood forests are key to Madagascar's unique ecology and serve as a habitat for a dwindling lemur population.

Sources tell NashvillePost.com Gibson was involved in a scheme that shipped the wood from Madagascar to Germany and then to the United States.

Sadly Gibson is being closed pending an Investigation..
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
This might be intresting.
Quote by ljohn
The thing is, in a band like chickenfoot, think of the JSX as a submarine and the Marshall as a plane. No matter how good the submarine is, it might be the perfect submarine, if you need a plane, a submarine ain't gonna do it for you.
More Gibson CEO screw-ups, possibly for good. :'-(
The world doesn't revolve around you. If it does, beware. You're probably about to pass out drunk.

The 19 year old who knows his stuff. Most of the time.
I don't care, I like fender better -_-
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
Employee: Sir, how can we justify our high prices when our quality control is spiraling down the drain?

CEO: Use really ****ing expensive, illegal wood!
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
^That's a good point, surely they could have used cheaper rosewood than stuff which is now rare and endangered :/. Or maybe madagascar were selling it really cheap because they're so shit and don't allow my virus to EVER enter their country. So they have no money, because their docks are always closed, and nothing enters or leaves.
Gibson sucks, Fender wouldnt dream of it
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by Mazzakazza
^That's a good point, surely they could have used cheaper rosewood than stuff which is now rare and endangered :/. Or maybe madagascar were selling it really cheap because they're so shit and don't allow my virus to EVER enter their country. So they have no money, because their docks are always closed, and nothing enters or leaves.

Sadly, this was my same thought, hahaha

I'm really interested in how this is going to go.
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
Quote by stratman7
That's why I make all my guitars out of California Condors and pandas and such.

lol, Im sorry, I laughed out loud at this.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Will be interesting to see what the findings are, but I would think this sort of thing would be much more likely to happen with a smaller company trying to claw it's way ahead in the 3rd world than an established brand in the western world that has myriad laws to comply with and a lot to lose.
Quote by Hydra26
Will be interesting to see what the findings are, but I would think this sort of thing would be much more likely to happen with a smaller company trying to claw it's way ahead in the 3rd world than an established brand in the western world that has myriad laws to comply with and a lot to lose.

It also has a nutcase running it.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
If gibson shut down I will piss with excitment.

/anti-gibson elitism

Could you imagine how much Gibbys will be worth if they do?
I knew I should've bought one.
Quote by Mazzakazza

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
It's good to see this is what law enforcement is doing.

'Hey forget about all the rapists and murderers in our country, and terrorists around the world, lets catch a company using endangered woods!'

Hopefully this will bring the price of gibson down, way down
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by JAHellraiser

'Hey forget about all the rapists and murderers in our country, and terrorists around the world, lets catch a company using endangered woods!'

If anything this will bring it way, way, up, because if this lawsuit gets through, they won't be making any more.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Could this mean............no more reverse *insert shape*
Guitar - Music Man John Petrucci X

Amp - Ronald cube 60, willing be getting a Mark V soon
^The company won't be shut down - the people responsible for the decisions made may have action taken against them such as loss of job (though even that would be doubtful, really), but a company of that size being shut down wouldn't happen - think of the job losses at factory level etc and economic losses.

I think a heavy fine for the company and a wagging finger is more likely.

(Im sure Gibson can afford very good lawyers too. They'll probably be reprimanded and a close eye kept on their wood supply, with no repurcussions.)
Last edited by Mazzakazza at Nov 17, 2009,
Maybe we could get this guy (Henry Juszkiewicz) in an Orange jumpsuit. And get someone to run that company properly..
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Quote by JAHellraiser

When something becomes contraband, it generally drives the price up.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by dougl126
why would the fish and wildlife service get involved in this?

Trees are wildlife i believe?
Guitar - Music Man John Petrucci X

Amp - Ronald cube 60, willing be getting a Mark V soon
Quote by sgany
Trees are wildlife i believe?

But the fisheries and wildlife service deal with fisheries in and around the U.S. and wildlife in the U.S. Not abroad. This would be something for the EPA or some kind of agency dealing with trade, or even an international group. But not the fish and wildlife service.
First thought when saw topic title: "What, is there cocaine in it?"
Thought when clicking the link: "Well, cocaine-laced fretboards would explain their popularity in the 60's and 70's."

Les Paul dies the same year Gibson is raided...it's a sign I tell you! Although if that's the case Fender should be dead since George and Leo both are...(RIP all three)

At any rate, I now have an excuse to run out and finally buy a Gibson of some sort; because if they go down I have a valuable discontinued object, and if they stay afloat, I have something that had rosewood so good, that even without cocaine, the government wanted it.

Also, who's buying the rights to the Les Paul, 335 and SG now if they go out of business?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Gibson won't be shut down it's just an investigation there are not even any charges filed yet and even if they are found guilty they would just have to pay some fines. I am sure other guitars companies will be getting investigated as well.

As exotic woods get phased out these guitar companies will be using more accessible, easily available wood that are not protected like NATO Mahogany etc.

John
All that i hope comes from this is the CEO loses his job, and the company can come back and be run properly.
Quote by ZOMGdonuts
so wait a sec..
Gibson is being investigated for using GOOD wood...?

Sources say the Nashville-based guitar manufacturer is being investigated for violating the Lacey Act, a key piece of environmental law, for importing endangered species of rosewood from Madagascar.

Good wood or not you can't expect to break the law (if they did that is) and get away with it forever.
Quote by Mazzakazza

My friend actually managed to infect them, but Argentina (the second worst culprit) closed off everything. it was hilarious cuz he rejoiced at the Madagascar thing, but then noticed that Argentina had no chance of being infected haha
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
Quote by JAHellraiser

That's cute how you think law inforcement can just go and do what they need to with rapists and murderers. They kinda need information and such to bring them down.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by JAHellraiser

Highly doubt it. Gibson pricing is what keeps the company afloat and what's make you think Gibson is quality in the back of your mind when you hear the name. Plus what legit American made guitar is cheap to begin with?
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
I would be very surprised if Gibson were shut down over this. Even if it turns out they knew that the wood in question was illegally imported, the most they could get is a fine. Companies don't shut down over a fine. Of course, they'll probably pass the cost of the fine on to the consumers.
Quote by dougl126
But the fisheries and wildlife service deal with fisheries in and around the U.S. and wildlife in the U.S. Not abroad. This would be something for the EPA or some kind of agency dealing with trade, or even an international group. But not the fish and wildlife service.

F&W's mission also covers the enforcement of all Federal wildlife laws, including those regarding the importation of endangered species & their byproducts- which is what Gibson is being investigated for.

http://www.fws.gov/help/about_us.html
http://www.fws.gov/policy/npi99_01.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by necrosis1193
if they go down I have a valuable discontinued object, and if they stay afloat, I have something that had rosewood so good, that even without cocaine, the government wanted it.

This made me LOL
Guitars:
DBZ Bird of Prey Blood Red
Jose Feliciano Acoustic Guitar Debut Series Natural
Amp:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 60W 1x12 Guitar Combo Amp
Pedal:
Peavey Sanpera I
Tuner:
intellitouch PT10 Tuner (Chromatic)
Last edited by Biblico at Nov 17, 2009,
Page 1 of 3