yHallo,

If anyone can help me with harmonising that would be good I just can't get it right.. Another problem I have is making it sound like one continous piece, not just stuff stuck together with spit and dirt :/

It'd love if anyone can invest some time to help me with this one

Merci;

---

Post edited : Newest version at the bottom of this page - please comment/help
Attachments:
Ah wai newest.gp5
Ah wai newest.mid
Last edited by zezikaro at Nov 20, 2009,
Pretty simple chord progression, but nice. Reminds me of some of Jethro Tull's stuff. I liked how you alternated between normal picking and strumming. The transition in bar 21 was rather abrupt, but who am I to judge (listen to my piece to find out why ). Shouldn't have so many repeats though. I liked the minor arpeggios, but that part was way to long. Again liked the sudden transition into strumming. Next part was really nice, but again, too repetitive. Really nice though. Why the long empty bars part at the end? You know you can cut them out with ctrl+x, right? Transitions were fine though (IMO), I liked them.
Also, C4C?
Quote by jimmyled
Pretty simple chord progression, but nice. Reminds me of some of Jethro Tull's stuff. I liked how you alternated between normal picking and strumming. The transition in bar 21 was rather abrupt, but who am I to judge (listen to my piece to find out why ). Shouldn't have so many repeats though. I liked the minor arpeggios, but that part was way to long. Again liked the sudden transition into strumming. Next part was really nice, but again, too repetitive. Really nice though. Why the long empty bars part at the end? You know you can cut them out with ctrl+x, right? Transitions were fine though (IMO), I liked them.
Also, C4C?

Noo :P
This isn't the final piece; This was me posting for help on how to harmonise things :P!!!

I posted it so people can help me progress my songs, and make them less flat, boring, not-dynamic etc ='[

Thanks for the crit, I guess i'll return crit for you xD
Quote by zezikaro
Noo :P
This isn't the final piece; This was me posting for help on how to harmonise things :P!!!

I posted it so people can help me progress my songs, and make them less flat, boring, not-dynamic etc ='[

Thanks for the crit, I guess i'll return crit for you xD

I don't find it flat. Not an epic classical piece material, but rather an epic classic rock song.
Quote by jimmyled
I don't find it flat. Not an epic classical piece material, but rather an epic classic rock song.

How do I turn it into a classical song, with all of the harmonies etc? :/
Quote by zezikaro
How do I turn it into a classical song, with all of the harmonies etc? :/

Don't. It's fine this way. It has some early English music (e.g. Greensleeves) influence in it, but it's more like Jethro Tull IMO.
Quote by jimmyled
Don't. It's fine this way. It has some early English music (e.g. Greensleeves) influence in it, but it's more like Jethro Tull IMO.

When you say influence, you mean it's just similar? :P

I've never heard of them, and i only really listen to 1-2 bands ='[ (which are metal)
When you say a song is "influenced" by another song or a band, it probably means you had listened to such song before and carried it as a cultural baggage when composing your own song.

Greensleeves is a very much awesome classical song sometimes credited to Mozart, but I'm not sure who wrote it. You probably have heard it already and just can't link the song with the name (look it up on Google, though)

Jethro Tull is a progressive rock band, the only band in the world where the expression "flute solo" makes any sense. Totally suggest it.

As for the song, don't try to turn it into a classical piece. The construction of a classical piece is actually different, , and you are obviously influenced by contemporary bands, rather than classic ones.
Last edited by Victor V. at Nov 18, 2009,
Quote by Victor V.
When you say a song is "influenced" by another song or a band, it probably means you had listened to such song before and carried it as a cultural baggage when composing your own song.

Greensleeves is a very much awesome classical song sometimes credited to Mozart, but I'm not sure who wrote it. You probably have heard it already and just can't link the song with the name (look it up on Google, though)

Jethro Tull is a progressive rock band, the only band in the world where the expression "flute solo" makes any sense. Totally suggest it.

As for the song, don't try to turn it into a classical piece. The construction of a classical piece is actually different, , and you are obviously influenced by contemporary bands, rather than classic ones.

>_<U
I just write what comes out, I want to do classical music - I just don't know the formula for it. I wish someone would teach me how to structure such songs;

I only did this piece to try out harmonising and it's not gone so well so far :/
Okay, finally found some time to check it out for you

I have to say I quite enjoyed listening to it to be honest..
I do have to dissapoint you in saying this will be hard to turn into a authentical classical piece though..
It does have a really solid base to put an orchestra and stuff like that behind it though, which can give a more classical-influenced feel to it I think

The overall melodies sound pretty good to me, and I like the multiple voicings from bar 9 to bar 12, using the same melody-base in the 1st and 4th track, but an octave apart with some subtle changes here and there and then adding track 5 in it..
This gives a much fuller effect then when you would only harmonize and add nothing else for example

The change from bar 19/20 to 21 isn't subtle enough, at least not with only guitars..
If there was an orchestra or something backing it up and slowly building down to bar 20, after which you would get into that calmer section at 21, then it would fit better I think.

The relatively sudden change from bar 25 to 26 and on actually sounds pretty good, though the calmer section needs to be longer and has to have some more to offer

Bar 31 seems a tad to happy and gives you a random feeling in the middle of two calmer sections

Now, I can't teach you how to make classical music since well..

I suck at it because I tought myself all the basic principles behind it, so I'm not too well educated in that, but I have to say that this piece can really be quite a good piece if it had something more to fill it up..

Some parts need to be stretched a little with more parts building up and building down behind it with other instruments, but overall you're on the right track I think

I'm interested to see what else you have in store for this piece with the critics you've gotten
Eep.

In my absense I hae recieved a lot of help xD

I'm working on it atm, but i'm sure what key it is in? Any ideas on how I can work this out o.o

Merci;
Quote by zezikaro
Eep.

In my absense I hae recieved a lot of help xD

I'm working on it atm, but i'm sure what key it is in? Any ideas on how I can work this out o.o

Merci;

Work out in what key it is in? It depends on what scale you are basing it on. Since the only accident you have is a F#, you have a song in key G major.
Quote by Victor V.
Work out in what key it is in? It depends on what scale you are basing it on. Since the only accident you have is a F#, you have a song in key G major.

Haha, what a fast reply.

I really have no excuse to get started! x)
Double post, yea sorry

Things done:
- Reduced repeats (36-38) (26-27)
- Lengthened the transiton at bar 23 - As suggested, slowing it down
- Harmonised bars (6-7) (13-16) (19-22)
- Deleted the old bar 31 (Happy chords removed heh )
- Lengthened the calmer section, but i didn't expand it much;

I worked mostly on fixing old problems, rather than progressing the song (Which is currently three minutes long)

Things i don't like :
- Bars 16-17 - I just don't know how to carry on really harmonised section before it, i don't wish to just end it with a big chord, that'd be silly!
- Bits and pieces don't flow, I don't know how to solve that

I think that i dealt with everything mentioned >_<

Edit :
Should drums be added? More harmonising parts? Or should i add more bars and expand it? Or should i keep editing the current parts?
I'm having trouble making them flow more, like you all suggested >_<
Attachments:
Newest song.gp5
Newest song.mid
Last edited by zezikaro at Nov 19, 2009,
thanx for critting my song man

anyways, I'll start with the question you asked in above post:

In my opinion no drums have to be added, you don't get the feeling that they're missing so that's positive
It also doesn't need more harmonies, at least not on the guitar tracks, if you want to add harmonies with different instruments that could possibly sound cool though, I do have to say that I like the extra harmonies/melodies you added so far
I couldn't say for sure if you need to expand on this piece, I think it sounds great the way it is, but for some reason I also think it could work with more added to it, though you'll need to make some more changes in that piece, maybe a key change or new instruments..

And it flows pretty well now in my opinion, and pretty much everything I said in my previous post has been solved or changed, and all with a positive outcome
though I'm still gonna be repetitive here, and say that I think it could work well with some orchestral elements behind it
and that could range from a string quartet, to a string ensemble, to just a simple violin I reckon ...

good work
OK, heard the latest version.
Again, really reminiscent of Jethro Tull. It's great. Nothing much to say except for that.