So I'm thinking of swapping out the stock pups in my S for some blackouts and I'm just wondering how hard would the installation be and if i would have to route out some wood for the battery. Also I've heard that the blackout's clean sound is better than emg's clean and just wanted to check how true this is.
Gear:

Guitars:
Strat rip off
G-400 alpine white (signed by Coheed & Cambria)
ESP MF-207
RG350DX

Amp:
Crate V50 112

Effects
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Well i don't know for sure how that stuff works with Ibanez guitars.. If I were you, I'd take the guitar to a tech, just to make sure it gets wired correctly and such.

I DO know that blackouts sound A LOT better (imho) than EMGs. The clean and distorted tone is overall better..

The amp has a huge impact in your tone, specially with actives. What amp do you have?
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
Well i don't know for sure how that stuff works with Ibanez guitars.. If I were you, I'd take the guitar to a tech, just to make sure it gets wired correctly and such.

I DO know that blackouts sound A LOT better (imho) than EMGs. The clean and distorted tone is overall better..

The amp has a huge impact in your tone, specially with actives. What amp do you have?

Yea, I was thinking of taking it to a tech but I don't know yet. Also using a crate V-50.
Gear:

Guitars:
Strat rip off
ESP MF-207
RG350DX

Amp:
Crate V50 112

Effects
Quote by misfitsweare138
Yea, I was thinking of taking it to a tech but I don't know yet. Also using a crate V-50.

As long as it's a tube amp you will do fine with active pickups..
Take it to a tech, maybe get a full setup too..
good luck mate
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
good luck mate

yea it's a tube amp. Would i have to replace anything else in the guitar like pots or anything?
Gear:

Guitars:
Strat rip off
ESP MF-207
RG350DX

Amp:
Crate V50 112

Effects
Quote by misfitsweare138
Would i have to replace anything else in the guitar like pots or anything?

yeah, pots and the jack will have to be replaced but they come with the pickups so you'll be alright.
Quote by mikeyElite
yeah, pots and the jack will have to be replaced but they come with the pickups so you'll be alright.

K, one last question what is the main difference between the blackout's and EMG's other than the better cleans?
Gear:

Guitars:
Strat rip off
ESP MF-207
RG350DX

Amp:
Crate V50 112

Effects
I don't know about Blackouts but I do know about EMGs and S-Series.

You'll have to leave out the tone pot to leave enough room for the battery if you don't want to rout another whole in it..

Also, take a look at your jack. S-series' jacks aren't like other jacks, they are long and kinda like a shaft.
Like I said, I dunno about Blackouts, but EMGs only have one type of jack. And that is the most common one that comes in pretty much every guitar.. Except s-series

Also take into consideration the guitar.. If you go with the EMGs you'll pretty much loose everything that the 320 has going for it, which is the thick mahogany sound.

Active pickups sound the same in anything.. You could seriously put some in a toothbrush and it'd sound amazing. Don't get me wrong, I love them and I have them in 3 of my guitars, but I've put semore duncan invaders in my s and also some air nortons and both sound great. The invaders give you tons of bottom end too, but the nortons are silky smooth.

Anyways, I know that active pickups can be put in s-series, because Paul Waggoner from Between the Buried and me had some EMGs in the S he used for a long time.
But, you might have to contact Ibanez and see if you can't order a stereo input jack that will fit an S (Regular pickups use mono jacks which only have 2 prongs.. Active pickups use stereo jacks that have 3 prongs)

But good luck, regardless.
You'll need to either rout some wood or leave out the tone pot to make room for the battery. On top of that you'll need to be fancy with the S' jack.

Frankly, you can do better than actives especially given the special circumstances due to your guitar's dimensions.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Its not an issue i have an s series with actives passives and piezo pups in it and they all fit in fine. still have tone controls etc.
Quote by sheaaa
I don't know about Blackouts but I do know about EMGs and S-Series.

You'll have to leave out the tone pot to leave enough room for the battery if you don't want to rout another whole in it..

Also, take a look at your jack. S-series' jacks aren't like other jacks, they are long and kinda like a shaft.
Like I said, I dunno about Blackouts, but EMGs only have one type of jack. And that is the most common one that comes in pretty much every guitar.. Except s-series

Also take into consideration the guitar.. If you go with the EMGs you'll pretty much loose everything that the 320 has going for it, which is the thick mahogany sound.

Active pickups sound the same in anything.. You could seriously put some in a toothbrush and it'd sound amazing. Don't get me wrong, I love them and I have them in 3 of my guitars, but I've put semore duncan invaders in my s and also some air nortons and both sound great. The invaders give you tons of bottom end too, but the nortons are silky smooth.

Anyways, I know that active pickups can be put in s-series, because Paul Waggoner from Between the Buried and me had some EMGs in the S he used for a long time.
But, you might have to contact Ibanez and see if you can't order a stereo input jack that will fit an S (Regular pickups use mono jacks which only have 2 prongs.. Active pickups use stereo jacks that have 3 prongs)

But good luck, regardless.

Aren't all input jack's supposed to be the same length? Also what effect would taking out my tone knob have on the sound of the guitar?

Quote by ch0
You'll need to either rout some wood or leave out the tone pot to make room for the battery. On top of that you'll need to be fancy with the S' jack.

Frankly, you can do better than actives especially given the special circumstances due to your guitar's dimensions.

What would you recommend then?
Gear:

Guitars:
Strat rip off
ESP MF-207
RG350DX

Amp:
Crate V50 112

Effects
Last edited by misfitsweare138 at Nov 18, 2009,
If you take to a good tech, it will take less that 5 mins to route out a battery hole, Blackouts come in 2 different sizes, Phase one is a direct replacement for SD type of PU's. The phase 2 is a direct replacement for EMG PU's. You would be looking at getting the phase 1. And really if you had access to a router and a drill you can make the hole and buy a cover plate off the inetrweb(i would get the plate first though for sizing reasons) or make the electronics cavity deeper.
Aren't all input jack's supposed to be the same length? Also what effect would taking out my tone knob have on the sound of the guitar?

The tone pot works by taking the treble and sending it in to the capacitor. So when you have it to normal or 10 all treble is going through to the amp. But when you start to turn the knob and decrease it, the treble is sent to the capacitor and lowered and lowered and lowered until the knob is to 0 and there is not any treble being passed from the pickups to the amp.

Alot of guitarists, like Mick Thompson and Jim Root of Slipknot for instance, left the tone knob off for their signature models because they don't see the need of it being on there since they don't even use it.
However there are some guitarists who set the treble on their amps one way, and then use the tone knob to control their sound better. It's all about preference, but honestly, in my opinion, if you're playing metal and hardcore, you have no need for it.

I did some research and Ibanez does make a 3 prong (stereo) jacks that go in the Ss, however mine was a 2 prong (mono). You should check yours and see. If you have a 3 prong you're good to go.
I
Attachments:
oldmonojack.jpg
155617020_tp.jpg
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
good luck mate

Err a highoutput passive such as Duncan SH-6 (Distortion)
with a preamp gain boost such as the EMG mod
would be just as good, to me you get the heavy tone
of the blackout with the boost mod yet have the "organic"
sound I prefer. Afterall isn't an active pickup just
a passive with creamic magnets and preamp gain boost of
20db??

Overall: I like blackouts for breakdowns and leads

SH-6 for chording Black metal and Lamb of God stuff

EMG for Thrash

needless to say with preamps and EQ's you can get a killer
tone from all of those, least on ENGL
Just get a Duncan TB-6.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Just get a Duncan TB-6.

Would it sound a bit like the blackouts?

Quote by sheaaa

The tone pot works by taking the treble and sending it in to the capacitor. So when you have it to normal or 10 all treble is going through to the amp. But when you start to turn the knob and decrease it, the treble is sent to the capacitor and lowered and lowered and lowered until the knob is to 0 and there is not any treble being passed from the pickups to the amp.

Alot of guitarists, like Mick Thompson and Jim Root of Slipknot for instance, left the tone knob off for their signature models because they don't see the need of it being on there since they don't even use it.
However there are some guitarists who set the treble on their amps one way, and then use the tone knob to control their sound better. It's all about preference, but honestly, in my opinion, if you're playing metal and hardcore, you have no need for it.

I did some research and Ibanez does make a 3 prong (stereo) jacks that go in the Ss, however mine was a 2 prong (mono). You should check yours and see. If you have a 3 prong you're good to go.
I

How would i check that?
Gear:

Guitars:
Strat rip off
ESP MF-207
RG350DX

Amp:
Crate V50 112

Effects
^Not really, but it's (IMO) fairly similar to an EMG 81.
Plus, it's Passive, which means it's easier to install - no pot changes.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
^Not really, but it's (IMO) fairly similar to an EMG 81.
Plus, it's Passive, which means it's easier to install - no pot changes.

So the distorted would sound similar to the EMG 81 but still have good cleans like most passive's do?

Edit: Is the pick up set good or should i just buy that one alone and buy a different one for the bridge?
Gear:

Guitars:
Strat rip off
ESP MF-207
RG350DX

Amp:
Crate V50 112

Effects
Last edited by misfitsweare138 at Nov 18, 2009,
Quote by misfitsweare138
Would it sound a bit like the blackouts?

How would i check that?

Just take off your back plate and look at the tip of the long silver shaft looking thing that is coming out of the right
3 = stereo
2 = mono

And what type of music are you looking to play with it?
Quote by sheaaa
Just take off your back plate and look at the tip of the long silver shaft looking thing that is coming out of the right
3 = stereo
2 = mono

And what type of music are you looking to play with it?

Everything from metal to blues. Metal sound hoping for something like metalcore or Symphony X type tone. Cleans just have to be decent nothing out of this world.
Gear:

Guitars:
Strat rip off
ESP MF-207
RG350DX

Amp:
Crate V50 112

Effects
Quote by misfitsweare138
So the distorted would sound similar to the EMG 81 but still have good cleans like most passive's do?

Edit: Is the pick up set good or should i just buy that one alone and buy a different one for the bridge?

well...no.

It's a pickup basically built to overdrive a preamp. Hence, the cleans aren't going to be good.

The only high output pickup I've ever heard that sounds decent clean is the SH-4 JB.

TBH, I always use my neck pickup (a Duncan '59) for cleans.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
well...no.

It's a pickup basically built to overdrive a preamp. Hence, the cleans aren't going to be good.

The only high output pickup I've ever heard that sounds decent clean is the SH-4 JB.

TBH, I always use my neck pickup (a Duncan '59) for cleans.

Yea that's why I wanted to know if i should just get a different pickup for the neck and get the TB-6.
Gear:

Guitars:
Strat rip off
ESP MF-207
RG350DX

Amp:
Crate V50 112

Effects
What do you guys think of an invader in the bridge and what would be good for the neck?
Gear:

Guitars:
Strat rip off
ESP MF-207
RG350DX

Amp:
Crate V50 112

Effects