alright so i've been playing for a little over 2 years now, and have become a little dissatisfied in the overall sound of my basses, not that their bad instruments, but it just feels like with something little better i could really push potential, so my guitarist recommended a new bass completely, or get a set of EMG's or Seymour Duncan pickups, any advice? any help much appreciated
Your profile says Squier MB4 and Bronze Warlock, it is definately DEFINATELY your choice in basses. Squiers are brilliant apart from the Mb4 and Affinity basses, look to them for a replacement. Also your amp will make a huge difference, what do you have?
running off a fender rumble [15? its only 30 watts..] at home, but when we do bigger sessions we run off a PA system, not sure which, also at times when we're at the drummer house they have a full peavy cab/head setup they let me use
Quote by helsem997
running off a fender rumble [15? its only 30 watts..] at home, but when we do bigger sessions we run off a PA system, not sure which, also at times when we're at the drummer house they have a full peavy cab/head setup they let me use

Yep, its your choice of bass, not amp. There's no point getting new pickups unless its a high end model (MIA, etc) or else you'll probably end up spending more on the pickups that the actual bass. Save up $200ish and buy a Vintage Modified Squier bass, they come with SD pickups installed anyway.
much appreciated, and will look into the vintage, but as for the time being i've been interested in a few epiphones i tried our at guitar center, also have been looking into tracking down a dean or ESP, i dont buy dumb anymore, i only got the previous basses cause they were cheap and i needed something to start on, so im doing a lot of looking into/ testing out as much as i can, if any input on aforementioned brands if you have any?
Quote by helsem997
much appreciated, and will look into the vintage, but as for the time being i've been interested in a few epiphones i tried our at guitar center, also have been looking into tracking down a dean or ESP, i dont buy dumb anymore, i only got the previous basses cause they were cheap and i needed something to start on, so im doing a lot of looking into/ testing out as much as i can, if any input on aforementioned brands if you have any?

Don't buy Epiphone or Dean, they suck quite a lot.

Squier (anything above the level of the standard series), ESP, Peavey, Ibanez, Yamaha, Warwick Rockbass. Look at those brands and you won't go wrong.
Epiphone and Dean aren't very good, IMO.

ESP is a very niche sound, it works for metal but will be a little wrong in blues or jazz.

I'd try a Peavey, a Squier VM, and Ibanez gear.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Epiphone and Dean, as a general consensus, suck. Don't get them. The build quality and sound quality aren't very good. I (and the rest of the world) find epiphone to be very muddy

I would try everything in your price range, and then come back. There's too much to cover otherwise. I will say to try fender and ibanez though, both sound great but have a vastly different feel. I hate fender, for instance. But the sounds is good, in the higher up stuff.
well humanity is quite right, i play mostly metal,the like of metallica with burton, though i do stray to muse, red hot chili peppers and tool, and just want a lot more of a professional... fuller sound, and usually stay in dropped C for most playing, its not that hard to transcribe up for me, and will keep in mind while looking around still, and this time around i didnt plan on buying any entry level gear, thanks a ton
First off I'm going to jump on the dont-get-a-Dean-or-Epiphone bandwagon here, both brands turn out lower quality basses then your current setup. Exactly how much would you want to spend on a new bass? If your price range extends above the entry-level, your options open up quite a bit
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
well hopefully gonna be able to just sell enough of my own crap laying around, my willing range is probably about $450 for the bass.... definitely need better cables[or wireless setup depending on how much i can get] but strap lock set and pick are a must need as well, been looking into an ESP F series since dean and epiphones are no goes, jacksons also quite appealing
Ehhh, Jacksons are iffy. Try one out to see if you really like it. For $450 you could go for a bit higher quality bass and get a used higher end Ibanez, or a used Fender MIM P or J bass, and still have some leftover for cables and strap locks
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
Ehhh, Jacksons are iffy.

Jackson basses are essentially Fenders with humbuckers (the Concert series at least), actually, Fender own Jackson. I think they're fairly underrated.

Edit: of course now i say that they decide to change the design...
Last edited by Spaz91 at Nov 17, 2009,
i remember trying out a few ibanez' i remember picking up an iceman extreme, was kinda iffy for the $500 tag on it, i remember play an SR400 and it wasnt that bad, only complaint was it being bright purple,i also remember trying out a high end B.C. rich, it was some kinda warlock, black with white bindings, sounds alright as well, i need another trip to shops with my new found knowledge now
Quote by Spaz91
actually, Fender own Jackson

Really?

And I've always found Jackson basses to be almost comparable to their guitars IMO. Ok, but not particularly great, but maybe I don't really give the company enough credit.

EDIT: oh, just looked it up, looks like Fender does indeed own Jackson. I still stand by my previous statement
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Nov 17, 2009,
I like most Jackson guitars and basses. sound nice, good for rockin out.

great finish on the necks, best satin I ever felt.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
would reccomend you get a better amp before you upgrade your bass. a very good amp can make even a crappy bass sound acceptable
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by Emergancy Exit
would reccomend you get a better amp before you upgrade your bass. a very good amp can make even a crappy bass sound acceptable

Realiabilty + playability before sound I'd say. (You wouldn't play a Stagg through an Ampeg amp same as you wouldn't play a Rickenbacker through a Behringer amp.)