I might have a bit of a problem and need your advice, UG. Over the past year and a half my bass playing friend and I have been trying to put a band together. We find it extremely hard, because whenever we find someone, their skills aren't up to par (progressive metal). Finally we found a drummer who is both talented and dedicated. Now, another local band that is successful (2 albums) is in need of a guitarist. I love this band since they play melodic death metal and I want to try out for it. But here's the problem: As a more established, gigging band they'd expect full devotion from me. So should I try to get in with this band and leave my current band with my friends, or should I just stay with my friends and try to find more members? I don't know if I could do both...

The band in question can be found here: http://www.myspace.com/frozeneternity
Check out my band Disturbed
Depends, are you wanting fun and hanging out with friends?
Or are you wanting to try and make some money with some people who you might not even get along with all that well?
Kinda your choice man
Personally, I wouldnt be asking this question until I was sure Frozen Eternity wanted me. If Frozen Eternity loves you when you try out, and wants you to join, absolutely go for it. If not, stick with your band. That is what I would do, but its all your choice.
How about a high five?

My Gear
Ibanez RG320
Schecter Demon 7
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider III 30
Bugera 6262/Peavey 412 cabinet
Try to join the successful band. Come on, it's a big chance, if your friend would get offended by you trying out then I'm sorry but he wouldnt be really your friend. He'll understand. You might not know the guys in the other band, but chances are they're good people and you can get along fine.
"...I cried. Just for a second. Then I thought, 'I must rock.' "
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

Quote by VileGangrene
Personally, I wouldnt be asking this question until I was sure Frozen Eternity wanted me. If Frozen Eternity loves you when you try out, and wants you to join, absolutely go for it. If not, stick with your band. That is what I would do, but its all your choice.

That's why the thread title says 'possibly'.
Go try out for it. If it doesn't work stick with your buddy. If it does, try doing both. It doesn't sound like the friend band is a terribly serious project anyways.
Quote by VileGangrene
Personally, I wouldnt be asking this question until I was sure Frozen Eternity wanted me.
I'm gonna disagree. Just because the decision can't be made until it fully presents itself doesn't mean you shouldn't be looking at all the factors and begin to determine how you'll come to a decision. Racing through a decision like this can lead to mistakes. And there will be a limited time for him to decide after he tries out.

Quote by Calvero
if your friend would get offended by you trying out then I'm sorry but he wouldnt be really your friend.
Disagree. The bass player friend has been been loyal to him for a year and a half. Finally, something seems to be working out right where they have a drummer who shows real promise. Their shared dream is finally beginning to take shape. Bailing on him now would be a huge kick in the gut. He'll probably still remain friends, but this is gonna crush him. If Stewie is a friend, he won't dismiss that lightly.

Tough one, here. Maybe try out for the other band. If they say they want you, tell them you need a week (or two weeks, w/e) to finish up your commitments with the band you're in now. They'll respect you for this, if anything.

Then tell your friend about your opportunity and your inability to make a decision, because you'd feel like you were letting him down. This gives him a chance to step in and become part of the process. Maybe he says, "Just do it and don't think twice. And if that bass player ever quits, look me up!" Maybe he says: "Damn, this sucks. I hope you stay with our band."

Whatever happens, you take the time to get some input from him. Weigh that in your decision. Even if it doesn't cause you to stay with the band you have now, you OWE it to your friend to at least hear his side of things.

And you owe it to yourself to do what's best for you.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I'm gonna disagree. Just because the decision can't be made until it fully presents itself doesn't mean you shouldn't be looking at all the factors and begin to determine how you'll come to a decision. Racing through a decision like this can lead to mistakes. And there will be a limited time for him to decide after he tries out.

Disagree. The bass player friend has been been loyal to him for a year and a half. Finally, something seems to be working out right where they have a drummer who shows real promise. Their shared dream is finally beginning to take shape. Bailing on him now would be a huge kick in the gut. He'll probably still remain friends, but this is gonna crush him. If Stewie is a friend, he won't dismiss that lightly.

Tough one, here. Maybe try out for the other band. If they say they want you, tell them you need a week (or two weeks, w/e) to finish up your commitments with the band you're in now. They'll respect you for this, if anything.

Then tell your friend about your opportunity and your inability to make a decision, because you'd feel like you were letting him down. This gives him a chance to step in and become part of the process. Maybe he says, "Just do it and don't think twice. And if that bass player ever quits, look me up!" Maybe he says: "Damn, this sucks. I hope you stay with our band."

Whatever happens, you take the time to get some input from him. Weigh that in your decision. Even if it doesn't cause you to stay with the band you have now, you OWE it to your friend to at least hear his side of things.

And you owe it to yourself to do what's best for you.

thanks for the advice