Hi , I have a peavey 6505 and mesa cab and I usually play heavier kinds of metal but love clear and melodic solos.

Ive found a pretty good tone I like for riffing with pre at 7, mids at 6, lows at 7, high at 9 and turning presence up high.

However, I find I cant really get a clean distorted (if that makes sense) lead for these kind of melodic solos. It just feels like its lacking the emotion and "umph" behind it.

Is this normal? What would you recommend to help fix this problem?

Thankyou if you can help!
maybe get a pre amp to go along with that, or a tube screamer

i use a pod xt on my 6505 as a pre amp and it actually sounds really good
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote by EJD
Reminds me of that drunkard who ran out of beer... he was so desperate, he drank furniture polish.

He came to a horrible end... but a beautiful finish.
Turn the gain down and roll back on the volume on your guitar. That will add the dynamics you are looking for.
Gear:
Ibanez RG570 circa 1993
Ibanez S2020XAV
Carvin DC127
EVH 5153 50w
Orange PPC112
AxeFX II
Lower gain, and possibly some delay or reverb to thicken things up, will help. Turning the presence up too high will make your sound too trebly and crunchy, so knock that down a bit.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by Lt.DustyBanana
Turn the gain down and roll back on the volume on your guitar. That will add the dynamics you are looking for.

I find when i roll back the volume on my guitar, it just sounds flat. I have an s-series ibanez guitar.

and to the other poster....or anyone for that matter. Are overdrive pedals like the maxon OD808 a good way to improve both my lead tone and give riffs a more brutal tone?

Thanks again! I know nothing about pedals! =(
Quote by DrNick
Lower gain, and possibly some delay or reverb to thicken things up, will help. Turning the presence up too high will make your sound too trebly and crunchy, so knock that down a bit.

How could i get a good reverb/delay tone out of my peavey/mesa amp? Any certain pedal you would recommeend? Can the OD808 do this?
the od808 will just add more gain, a chorus, delay or reverb are good things to thicken up a solo, i use a boss chorus pedal and it adds a more organic warmth and thickness to the tone
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210