Hi all,

I found an incredible deal on this "american fender stratocaster". The owner doesn't know much about it and I'm afraid its a fake. He told me the serial number was Z2566009 but i couldn't find any others that looked similar to it. Might someone be able to tell if its a fake by the headstock. He's giving it to me for 200 tomorrow, and I don't want a squier standard, but if its truly a american I want it. Please help asap, thank you! Pics below, ps please dont undercut me and go buy it if its awesome haha.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/msg/1462079805.html
Attachments:
s1.jpg
s2.jpg
s3.jpg
s4.jpg
Last edited by advanced122 at Nov 17, 2009,
Mexican
only 21 frets
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
the headstock looks odd but i couldn't tell you if it's a fake or not, i think it would be hard to tell if it's a genuine american strat as i know people tend to put on fender necks to cheap bodies to flog them as fenders, but the price seems low for an american start even one from a few years back
i dont mind if its mexican either, but just a real strat and not a squier. how would i be able to tell?
yes, according to that serial number guide this would fall under the "basic" '02/'03 strats, and not the american deluxe or vintage series. I say this because the large headstock leads me to believe its some "special" design. Maybe it's mexican and falls outside of those categories?
try his sound, and check in you tube for a similar one so you know how the sound is, thats all i can tell you
Am I the only one who thinks it's a MIM with either a Warmoth neck or a 70's reissue neck?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
whats bugging me is the fender logo on the headstock, I cant find any others that are light on the inside and have a black outline. The others ive seen are either solid black or black with a light(gold) outline. also, on the back, there almost seems to be a square outline (sticker outline) where the serial number is....hmm this is tough
I agree with the warmoth neck and work done by himself.

The writing looks a bit sketchy to me.

Play it dude and if it feels good it feels good.
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
200 bucks ... That just screams that its dodgey ....
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

I think it is a "Highway 1" Strat, assembled in USA from Mexican parts, I hear. Sell for ~ $800 new, vs. ~$1200 for American Standard Strat & $500 for MIM. The Highway 1 has that large CBS looking headstock, should have satin finish on body, not sure about the 21 frets ... American Standard has 22.
Quote by blackborrego
FAIL ! american standard has 22

I think it isn't a mim, look what I found, http://www.fender.com/support/mexican_instruments.php it needs an M at the start of the serial.

Maybe the newer ones but they haven't always.

They have made re-issues with the larger headstock too. Like someone above me said, if you like the way it plays then for $200 why not?
Last edited by cranium2001 at Nov 17, 2009,
i doubt its a highway, I think the serial number would be different. how can u tell the neck is a warmoth and the body is a MIM? I'm fairly new to the technical/aesthetic side to guitars
the serial number on my american standard is just Z8XXXXX...... play it and check it out, i was lookin at that one on craigslist earlier
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
I hate Fender Strats and Teles and I do not pretend to know much about them but the headstock and logo looks way off to me. I have found lots of Fenders and Squiers with swapped necks over the years, you can never be too sure with those.

John
Did a quick check & found:
Highway 1 uses same serial # series as American Standard (ie Z3 means 2003 more or less), but Hwy 1 Strat has 22 frets, at least fro 2003 on, so ????
for the record, I'm looking to upgrade from my Squier standard to a MIM. If no one can figure out if this MIM is real, could u at least tell me if its worth it for me to get an MIM over my standard squier. I think I just want to get out of the squier league, but i may just be being foolish. heres my squire standard..
Attachments:
DSC02859.JPG
is there a real difference between a mim and a squier? ps thanks for all the help
I don't know much about fake Fenders, but just remember - if it looks to good to be true, it probably is.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
Quote by advanced122
is there a real difference between a mim and a squier? ps thanks for all the help

Mexicans are quite nice, squires are more or less entry level guitars.

And tiny pic is tiny whoever wants to know that MIM
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
According to the serial its a USA strat.
Your guitar was made at the
Corona Plant (Fender), USA
in the Year(s): 2002 - 2003

Even if the body isn't. If it is a genuine USA neck which is probably worth more than $200 alone.

But something about the headstock isn't right for a CBS. They usually only have one string tree. And the top one isn't even in line with the tuners/nut properly. It could've been a half assed custom job. And the "contoured body" logo isnt in the regular place. And the decal with the serial number on it was applied over the finish on the neck, common practice for vintage fenders, but i'm not sure on anything post 2000. I'm not an expert on fake fenders though.

You need to get hold of it and have a look at the quality of the wiring job inside and have a look in the neck pocket for any dates or such.

But tbf, it looks like quite a nice guitar and a pretty nice neck, play it, if you like it and you think it's worth $200, which it probably is buy it.
Last edited by beckyjc at Nov 18, 2009,
Quote by blackborrego
FAIL ! american standard has 22

I think it isn't a mim, look what I found, http://www.fender.com/support/mexican_instruments.php it needs an M at the start of the serial.

Wouldn't an American be considered a higher end Fender. I wasn't debating that, I was only trying to say that I doubt it was an MIM because the Serial Number wasn't an MIM number. It could have been made somewhere else other than Mexico and USA. perhaps a Squier with a new logo on the headstock??
I have a MIM Fat Strat, and it plays wonderfully. So if you have an opportunity to get one, I'd definitely recommend doing so.

That said, I'm not entirely sure what that guitar is. My Strat is a 2000, and the serial number starts with MZ0. Also, on mine, the serial number is on the front of the headstock, not the back, and there's one string tree.