I've listened to some ska, mostly 3rd Gen, but I've listened to some older stuff too.

I was wondering, is there a reason baritones aren't used in Ska very much? I play tuba (and that is all I know), but as far as I know, trombones are very similar to the baritone. Trombones are used a lot in Ska.

And just to clear up any confusion, I'm not talking about the baritone saxophone (if that isn't obvious already). I'm talking about a baritone.

Quote by smirnoff_black
Have you ever done this before? It's freakin' sweet! Earlier today, I was bored as hell just laying on my bed. I had an erection, so I started to use my penis as a gear stick and I was pretending I was driving. Has anyone else here ever tired this?
cause baritone is a lamed down trombone,

but seriously, its probably for the same reason it isn't used in jazz bands, the larger bore and more conical nature make it a darker, mellower sound that doesn't cut through in the same way
I thought the darker tone might be one of the reasons. Do you know of any ska bands that do use one, or is it just really not a good tool for the job?

I want to learn another instrument, and I was thinking of the baritone. I thought maybe could play in a ska band due to the similarities. Even if I learn to play the baritone, it theoretically shouldn't be a massive pain to learn t-bone too. Don't they use the same mouthpieces?
Quote by smirnoff_black
Have you ever done this before? It's freakin' sweet! Earlier today, I was bored as hell just laying on my bed. I had an erection, so I started to use my penis as a gear stick and I was pretending I was driving. Has anyone else here ever tired this?
Last edited by Funcoot at Nov 17, 2009,
i don't know any bands that use baritones,

they do use the same mouthpieces as trombone, and in fact the slide positions relate to valve combos
1st position is open
2nd position is 2
3rd position is 1
4th position is 1 and 2
etc
Do you think there would be any problems in the over all sound of the group?

If you were in a ska band looking for a horn player and good baritone player came along, would you be interested?
Quote by smirnoff_black
I always assumed it was just that trombones are more common in other genres, thus there are more trombonists than baritonists.
An opinions on how the baritone would fit in with a ska band? Do you think it would really affect the over all sound of a band?
Quote by smirnoff_black
i think it may sound good. i think trombone is just used more often because there is more trombonists then baritone players *in my school, we have one baritone player and like 5 trombonists, and thats because my music teacher begged for someone to learn the baritone* also, i think trombonists being able to add slides between notes * i guess tahts what you call them?* it gives them more of a distinct sound, but id definitally say that baritone could fit
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
From a tonal standpoint, baritone is warmer and more mellow than bone, generally, which is part of the answer to your question. Also, because the trombone uses a slide instead of valves, it has the ability to gliss into notes which gives it a distinctively raucous, abrasive quality that baritone isn't really capable of achieving. However, baritones are in the same register as trombone, so you could use one in a ska band, in theory. I wouldn't, personally, just because of its difference in tone, and its lack of a slide. Doesn't mean you can't.
If you play tuba it'll be easier to transfer to bari. However if you play Tuba and T-bone then you can play bari without thinking.

Since T-bone requires accurate positioning of the slide against key presses you won't be able to easily go from tuba/bari to tbone as it's a new skill to learn.