Allright, so I need a new amp. I am looking at a Egnater Rebel 20. I'm going to Missouri next week, and a guitar center there is selling one, so I'm going to try it. I have heard it can get very good classic rock tones. BUT, I was wondering if it could get good Steve Vai type tones. The store also sells a Carvin V3. Are those good for the sounds I want? What about a Carvin Legacy? Can it get from classic rock to steve vai? (I know the legacy can get steve vai though) On craigslist, I found a Legacy combo for $650 2 hrs from where I live.

So, help is appreciated
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
The Carvin V3 is a very versatile amplifier. You can get a lot of different tones out of it, from great cleans to huge high-gain. It is a very solid amp all around. The Legacy is also first rate, but not quite as versatile. That is not to say that you can't get a lot of variation out of it; just not as much as with the V3. The Legacy was designed to be Vai's idea of the perfect amp, and he seems very happy with it. Carvin guitar amplifiers tend to have a very strong bass response; more so than a lot of similar tube amplifiers. They are also freakishly loud.

I have very little hands-on experience with the Egnater, but the one I played sounded great. I've read that their build quality is excellent.
All of what he said about the Carvin is true, as well as this: they are very clean.

What do you plan on doing with this amp?
I want to use it to play classic rock, blues, hard rock, metal. I also want to use to record some instrumental/shred type songs. So it has to be able to get from classic rock to vai-ish tones. Good cleans, crunch, distortion, etc.

Can both the carvins (Legacy, V3, maybe X100B) and the rebel 20 get these tones?
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.