Okay, so someone I know just bought a used Ibanez Jem 555 for around $800. And everyone says they suck or that they are lesser compared to other jems. But I think it sounds wonderful, in fact I couldn't tell a difference between that and his other jem(idk what the other one was, but he got it about a year ago new so i'd assume it's whatever is easy to find now. he said he didn't have the 55 yet so it's not the same model). So why are they supposedly worse than any other jem model?

Another thing is: I have had my Ibanez 7321 for a few months now. It is customized with Dimarzio Blaze and I will soon be replacing the neck pup. The lack of a tremelo kind of bothers me. Are there any good, yet relatively cheap(I'm saying like 500-1000 bucks) 7 strings with a tremelo that I could find? I know there is another cheap ibanez model, but those usually have crappy pups like the 7321 and i don't want to go through the process of replacing them again. Are there any LTD's or something that is as versatile as an ibanez? I guess there are schecters, but schecters and ibanez are the only 2 guitar companies I know of who sell 7 strings that aren't signature guitars or don't need to be custom ordered. And as you can probably tell, i am an ibanez man and schecter necks are too thick.
Cheaper wood quality, pickups are lower grade, inlays are not as nice, all in all they're essentially cheap RG models with the Steve Vai name slapped onto it, which drives up the price. For a similar price, you can get something much nicer from Ibanez, the only difference being the inlays are tree of life, and without Vai's name on it
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
I think the 1527 might be in that price range, but it does come with stock crap pickups, but in all honesty to get an ibanez with good pickups in it stock you will be looking at signatures or in the high price range
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
The JEM555 is a glorified RG350DX. But at the price of a JEM555 you can get a RG Prestige which will kill both of those. Ibanez sigs (unless special editions) are the same quality as Prestiges so you're kind of paying for the name. But a lot of sigs look great and come have different specs than the regular Prestiges like an alder body for the JEM7VWH so they're worth it.

As for the 7-string question, look for an older MIJ RG7620 (I may have gotten the number wrong) or an RG1527 or RG1527M if you want to get extra sexy.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Nov 17, 2009,
Quote by JELIFISH19

As for the 7-string question, look for an older MIJ RG7620 (I may have gotten the number wrong) or an RG1527 or RG1527M if you want to get extra sexy.

What are the differences between the 7 strings you mentioned?

And idk about the jem stuff. I think it sounds great, but that's just my OP. I'd probably get either a Paul Gilbert guitar, or one of their newer models of RG prestiges because of the crazy colors, or just save up for a UV7 or something but I don't see a big difference between a Jem 555 and whatever the new jems are. But as we all know, lots of guitars get worse over the years(or at least they start to change a lot) so maybe the newer jems just suck or something. idk. lol.
Quote by Guitar2theface
Cheaper wood quality, pickups are lower grade, inlays are not as nice, all in all they're essentially cheap RG models with the Steve Vai name slapped onto it, which drives up the price. For a similar price, you can get something much nicer from Ibanez, the only difference being the inlays are tree of life, and without Vai's name on it
Pickups are Dimarzio Evolutions and the guitar has an Edge Pro II.

It's actually a fine guitar, just too expensive.

Edit: Well I feel like a tool. Going by some online music store I thought the 555 had an Edge Pro II. Instead it has an Edge III as per the specs given on the Ibanez UK website.

So, it's a mediocre guitar that's way too expensive.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Last edited by ch0 at Nov 17, 2009,
Quote by Nirvana00125
What are the differences between the 7 strings you mentioned?

And idk about the jem stuff. I think it sounds great, but that's just my OP. I'd probably get either a Paul Gilbert guitar, or one of their newer models of RG prestiges because of the crazy colors, or just save up for a UV7 or something but I don't see a big difference between a Jem 555 and whatever the new jems are. But as we all know, lots of guitars get worse over the years(or at least they start to change a lot) so maybe the newer jems just suck or something. idk. lol.

The MIJ RGs are older and must be purchased used. But apparently, Prestiges are higher quality. MIJ ones are still great quality, but the Prestiges use higher quality finishes and have more detailed fretwork. In all honesty, you probably won't even feel the difference because of the shape of Ibanez necks. The RG1527 and RG1527M are the same guitar, the M just has a maple fretboard and is super sexy with the white finish and gold flakes (it gives me a boner just thinking about it). The RG1527 is just sparkly blue with a rosewood fretboard.

The thing with the JEM555 is that it comes with Evos so it's going to sound better than a lot of other Ibanezes stock. It's also basswood instead of alder like the JEM7VWH that it's supposed to be like. But it's the same wood, same neck, same trem, and same quality as a RG350DX. The Prestiges and sigs come with better trems, better wood, better craftsmanship, better necks, and are overall much higher quality. You can get all of that for the same price as a JEM555, so it's not like we're talking about "good for the money."
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Nov 17, 2009,
Not good value for money, but it's not a terrible guitar.
Like the person above said, like an RG350DX with quality pickups.
I used to own one quite a few years ago, and it was one of the best players i've ever owned, (the trem was blocked though) on par with my 777.
For the money you should get a 1527 or some other prestige for the same money. Much better buy.
¯|(°_o)/¯
Quote by JELIFISH19
The JEM555 is a glorified RG350DX. But at the price of a JEM555 you can get a RG Prestige which will kill both of those. Ibanez sigs (unless special editions) are the same quality as Prestiges so you're kind of paying for the name. But a lot of sigs look great and come have different specs than the regular Prestiges like an alder body for the JEM7VWH so they're worth it.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by JELIFISH19

this, he beat me to it only `cos i`ve just got my internet up and running again