I'm beginning to learn how to improvise and the only style of improvising ive heard of is jazz but i know there are more and im most intrested in how jerry garcia would play around chords and stuff. tips are welcome
learn music theory
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Quote by selkies
learn music theory

This.

It's the easy, quickest, most organized way (I believe).
Theory won't tell your fingers what to do. Besides, in theory, any notes in a given key signature 'fit in.' Doesn't mean they sound good in sequence. You have to practice, play, and listen to what sounds good. Lift solos that you like note-for-note, see how their lines move over the chords...I'm not saying theory's useless, but without playing and developing your chops (called 'chips' for this analogy), theory is the bag your chips come in - if it's empty, you just paid for nothing.
Quote by TimboSlice
Theory won't tell your fingers what to do. Besides, in theory, any notes in a given key signature 'fit in.' Doesn't mean they sound good in sequence. You have to practice, play, and listen to what sounds good. Lift solos that you like note-for-note, see how their lines move over the chords...I'm not saying theory's useless, but without playing and developing your chops (called 'chips' for this analogy), theory is the bag your chips come in - if it's empty, you just paid for nothing.

Wow great way of looking at it. Deep Man Deep

P.S

Lol @ The name and the explanation
Is there a good website that I can learn some music theory??
My Gear:

B.C. Rich Warlock Bronze Series
Jackson Performer 6
Peavey Vypyr 30
Sanpera II
Quote by d4man

Uh yeah. There's this one called ultimate-guitar.com it has all kinds of stickies and articles. It's basically a one stop site for anything that relates to guitar
I hate my sig
Quote by d4man

musictheory.net
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by d4man
Try the musician talk forum, and the Music Theory FAQ sticky, and Freepower's bitesize theory videos
Thx men!!!
My Gear:

B.C. Rich Warlock Bronze Series
Jackson Performer 6
Peavey Vypyr 30
Sanpera II
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/general_music/the_crusade_part_i.html

This is an article series on this site called "the crusade"

It's got around 11 parts to it, and is considered one of the best series of articles on the site.

Give it a shot, just make sure you take it at your own pace, too quickly and you will end up forgetting.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
I recorded this video series on YouTube a while ago that dealt with improvisation.

I dissagree that just "learning music theory" will help your soloing on it's own. You really need to focus on being melodic and musical first, well before you start implying those dominant 9th chords...

Listen to lots of different instruments and melodies, and focus on being as musical as possible (i.e. not just going as fast as you can!).