Poll: Is it a good idea for me to teach?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is it a good idea for me to teach?
Yes, go for it.
13 72%
No.
5 28%
Voters: 18.
Hello people of UG,
I have been playing guitar for just over two years, but I have playing some sort of instrument for at least 6. I have also been told that I am rather good for the amount of time I have been playing. I have just been given the opportunity to teach ABSOLUTE beginners. The notes on the fret board, basic music reading and chords; the super basics. I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not, so tell me UG, is this a good idead?

Also if I do take the job I will be sitting in with teachers that will be teaching the same stuff to basically teach me how to teach.
Because deep down, I know you want to:

My Youtube Channel

Constructive criticism is always welcomed.
Last edited by Mr. B. at Nov 17, 2009,
Go for it dude. TEaching the basics is really easy. Also Im less qualified than you and I am tutoring a young girl.
no sir away a papaya war is on
do it... the worst that can happen is they tell you you're crap and you lose the job
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
The best way to learn is to teach.

Be very aware, though, that others well definitely look down on you because you've been playing for just two years. Also, a lot of people won't want to be taught by you either. So totally be cool with that, you just gotta accept that most teachers have a LOT more experience than you, and you are easily replaced and probably not first preference.

Are you cool with that or no?
Go for it! You're going to have teachers sitting in with you who won't let you go too far wrong, so what've you got to lose? Sounds like the perfect way to start teaching to me. And even if you don't want to teach long term you can learn a suprising amount by teaching as it forces you to break things down and look at them in a different way
Quote by mdwallin
The best way to learn is to teach.

Be very aware, though, that others well definitely look down on you because you've been playing for just two years. Also, a lot of people won't want to be taught by you either. So totally be cool with that, you just gotta accept that most teachers have a LOT more experience than you, and you are easily replaced and probably not first preference.

Are you cool with that or no?

Yeah, I totally understand that and would be ok with that. I don't I would have that many students either.

Thanks everybody for your input.
Because deep down, I know you want to:

My Youtube Channel

Constructive criticism is always welcomed.
I've been playing for a little under two years, and I currently have three students, all of which came to me and asked me if I would teach them. At first I didn't want to, because I thought I wouldn't be very good at it, but it's been one of the most rewarding experiences being able to teach kids that are just starting out and finding ways to keep them excited through music. It sounds like you and I might be quite similar, depending on how much theory you've studied in two years, but I'd definitely recommend doing it if you have a few interested people.