Link

Anybody know what this is? I registered on the freedrumlessons site, and this was under one of their videos. Has anybody actually gotten the DVD? If so, does it actually teach anything major?
The "secret" technique they are talking about is playing doubles by doing the "heel-toe" technique. You can find free lessons on ze interwebz.

Fender Telecaster w/ GFS Lil' Killer
Jet City Pico Valve

Quote by Chaos-Serenade

The fretboard is dry because it is more than likely made in China.

I wonder how he came to this conclusion.
Lyrics
Inside the back
Walk with me
Reign, Rain

Call me Drew
Quote by OctoberWind
The "secret" technique they are talking about is playing doubles by doing the "heel-toe" technique. You can find free lessons on ze interwebz.
Alright, thanks; I've heard of that technique before somewhere, but never looked into it.
I could never quite get it, but my pedals are kinda short and my feet kinda big, so it's hard. The real "secret" to bass drum speed is practice...and maybe some ankle weights.

Jet City Pico Valve

Quote by Chaos-Serenade

Lyrics
Inside the back
Walk with me
Reign, Rain

Call me Drew
don't waste your money on it. Jared Falk is not a great drummer and his videos are not helpful. My best advice would be to practice and watch videos of the drummers you like and see how they do it (unless it's Travis Barker in which case you would be hurting yourself. Or get private lessons with a good teacher
Quote by Nergal22691
(unless it's Travis Barker in which case you would be hurting yourself.

Studying his beats and playing style = good

Studying his technique and posture = bad
Quote by OctoberWind
I could never quite get it, but my pedals are kinda short and my feet kinda big, so it's hard. The real "secret" to bass drum speed is practice...and maybe some ankle weights.
I just went down and tried it, and it won't work for me, but that's because my throne is up too high to even do the heel-down method, so I'll have to redo it tomorrow; it's too late to work on it anyways, don't want to wake up the family.
Quote by TheReverend724
Studying his beats and playing style = good

Studying his technique and posture = bad

Nah Travis Barker is really a pretty bad drummer overall. For nasty single bass chops and great technique/style check out Thomas Pridgen from the Mars Volta. I learned a lot from watching him, he is incredible! And he does heel-toe well and utilizes it effectively.
There is this guy on youtube who goes by SpikeyDrummer who has lessons for a lot of techniques around the drum set, he is a good teacher and his videos are pretty funny at times too. Also, avoid Travis Barker.

Jet City Pico Valve

Quote by Chaos-Serenade

Lyrics
Inside the back
Walk with me
Reign, Rain

Call me Drew
Quote by Nergal22691
Nah Travis Barker is really a pretty bad drummer overall. For nasty single bass chops and great technique/style check out Thomas Pridgen from the Mars Volta. I learned a lot from watching him, he is incredible! And he does heel-toe well and utilizes it effectively.

Thomas > Travis, but Travis has had more of an impact on my playing style than Thomas, though ironically, my playing style sounds just like Thomas
Quote by Nergal22691
don't waste your money on it. Jared Falk is not a great drummer and his videos are not helpful.
I don't know about his overall technique, but I want to slap him every time I see him play because of his hi-hat technique; he never uses the tips, assuring that his sticks are going to be scarred as hell.
Falk is pretty crap, and heel toe is pretty useless for metal double bass playing, because it doenst have enough power, and its difficult to effectively stop and start the technique smoothly. Its good for bonham type single stuff tho.

Only 'secrets' i can suggest are using ankle weights and/or high impact exercise to develop leg muscles. I chatted to Sean Reinert (ex Death) and Paul Bostaph (ex Slayer) and they both said they used weights).

There was a mike mangini book saying he got his (unbelieveable) speed by playing solid doubles for 3 hours, which develops the muscle memory sufficiently.
Last edited by Sir-Shredalot at Nov 17, 2009,
Quote by Sandor138
the secret to bass drumming is to only use your ankle /thread

Hmm, I use my whole leg sometimes, for when I need a big boomy bass drum sound.