Hi everybody... I have a question for you. I'm no beginner, I've been playin for a few years, but I'm having this pretty big problem. I break too many strings. Mainly the D string. I own three guitars, a mexican strat, a gibson les paul, a jackson rr3, so three different kinds of bridges. Tried different (lighter) picks. Tried pickin lighter. My hands sweat pretty much and I often forget to clean the strings, so they rust quickly enough, but c'mon it's impossible, always the same string in three different guitars and with different gauges of picks. It's like I break a D string every week or maybe every 3-4 days. I play 9-42 on the jackson and 9-46 on the other guitars. I think it's got nothing to do with the way I restring, I even restringed friends' guitars sometimes and they didn't break them for months.
I really can't play with bigger strings, I tried but I find it impossible. I think it's got something to do with the way I pick, but I don't know. I'm self taught so probably I don't have the correct technique and it's got something to do with that. I'm out of ideas. I only know it's becoming more and more frustrating. Please give me some tips or just share your thoughts. thank you
they always break at the bridge, let's say 2-3 centimeters from the ball end.
some days I can play 2-3 hours, some I don't even pick up the guitar. Let's just say I play averagely 1 hour a day, but it doesn't seem to be connected to that. The last D string I broke (yesterday), was on the strat. I had restringed it the other week, then went to rehearsals, cleaned it after playing and put it back in the case. Yesterday I took it out of the case with the strings still shining, maybe just a little bit of dirt under the strings. After 10 minutes of playng the D string was gone
i know the feeling. my 3rd string broke on a regular basis on my acoustic and my kelly but after a while it just kinda stopped. havent had the problem for some time now. i really dont know what causes it
I used to have ghs boomers, now I switched to DR dimebag signature on the les paul and the strat and DR pure blues on the Jackson, cos they're really great in feel and sound IMO.
GEEZE are you using light gauge strings!!!

Personally I have only broken 1 string ever
which was 0.26 wound string which would
be the G string on EADGBE

I've never had a problem with Ernie's, D'addario's, and DR

I would suspect you have sharp burs in your bridge system near the ball
slots on your guitar, I'd check that out
I thought about the bridge thing too, but it's just too strange it happens on three different bridges don't you think? And well, about using heavier strings, I tried .10 and already found it difficult , and anyways the wounded strings (which are the ones I always break, (the D and sometimes the A) are the same in 9-46 (26,36,46) Maybe I should try with .11? I don't think I'd be able to bend anymore though... I've been playing 9s for as long as I can remember
Last edited by Coolvortex at Nov 18, 2009,
Quote by xDarrellx87x
GEEZE are you using light gauge strings!!!

Personally I have only broken 1 string ever
which was 0.26 wound string which would
be the G string on EADGBE

I've never had a problem with Ernie's, D'addario's, and DR

I would suspect you have sharp burs in your bridge system near the ball
slots on your guitar, I'd check that out

you hatin on light gauge strings? sure I use 11's, but i know some great guitarists that use only 10's or 9's strictly without problems. and when I was still using 10's and 9's, I never had problems with strings breaking.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93
you hatin on light gauge strings? sure I use 11's, but i know some great guitarists that use only 10's or 9's strictly without problems. and when I was still using 10's and 9's, I never had problems with strings breaking.

sigh we all prefer different feel
what works for me may not work for you

but the bottom line is to check for sharp spots near bridge
and in ball slot on guitar
Quote by xDarrellx87x
sigh we all prefer different feel
what works for me may not work for you

but the bottom line is to check for sharp spots near bridge
and in ball slot on guitar

Absolutely. 10s and 9s shouldn't break that regularly. I use 10s on my solidbodies and they very rarely snap. Moving up to 11s as soon as I can though, for personal taste.